20230903_112757 (resized).jpg
20230902_143322 (resized).jpg
20230902_124820 (resized).jpg
image-5 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_8003 (resized).png
IMG_8005 (resized).png
There are 1,831 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 37.
#851 4 years ago
Quoted from DK:

Just finished my cab/playfield restore. Just making the tweaks and sound no longer works (gonna get a new board) then she’s ready to roll![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Very nice! Is the BG Original?

#852 4 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

Looks good but your spinners are the wrong color.

I wasn’t lucky for it to come w green Stern spinners

#853 4 years ago
Quoted from Tyamry:

Very nice! Is the BG Original?

Yep! Got lucky there. Its perfect

1 week later
#854 4 years ago

new to the club:

66157311_2285880731526678_745121794440036352_n (resized).jpg66157311_2285880731526678_745121794440036352_n (resized).jpg66286560_2285880018193416_4391286417263689728_n (resized).jpg66286560_2285880018193416_4391286417263689728_n (resized).jpg
#855 4 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

new to the club:[quoted image][quoted image]

Wow! Looks mint.

#856 4 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

new to the club

Hell yes Neil! Congrats. I secured a Dragonfist recently so next time you're in my hood we'll play.

#857 4 years ago

Welcome and Congrats Neil! Love the flipper bats and rubber combo!

#858 4 years ago
Quoted from Crispin:

Agree! What are they?

#859 4 years ago

Had my QS in storage for about a year, recently took it out and reset it up again.

To me, this is the not only the best class Stern game, but the best early solid state machine bar none. The only ones that come close are Dragonfist, Stargazer, and maybe Fathom. Truly a remarkable machine. Game play is fast, challenging, and keeps you coming back for more. I just played about 16 games in a row, and had to peel myself away from it.

#860 4 years ago

Every once in a while I can achieve what I call the frenzy mode; get the bonus multiplier up to 5x, lite all the letters, knock down all the right drop target bank drops again, shoot through the right spinner and collect the special.

The game will start making a high pitched sound, getting louder and louder as the score progresses. If I’ve scored well up to collecting the special, the sound will reach a high pitch and then suddenly the sound and the scoring will stop. Maybe 15 seconds later the sound will start again getting to a high pitch while it will continue scoring. It will repeat this pattern four or five times.

I call this frenzy mode, but seizure might be a better. What do the rest of you call it, or do you even have the skills to get to that point?

#861 4 years ago
Quoted from getadam:

Hell yes Neil! Congrats. I secured a Dragonfist recently so next time you're in my hood we'll play.

oooo Dragonfist! fantastic - in NYC Sep 12th. I'll ping ya closer to the time.

#862 4 years ago
Quoted from Crispin:

Quoted from Flynnyfalcon:

Agree! What are they?

They are Williams clear green repro's but whilst they look good I am going to take them off, got stock ones to go on. The angle they shoot at is all off compared to what it should be.

#863 4 years ago

I got one issue when the game powers up, it has a sound that just hangs, playing game kills it but its a pain when you turn it on, any ideas?

also anyone got instruction cards?

#864 4 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

I got one issue when the game powers up, it has a sound that just hangs, playing game kills it but its a pain when you turn it on, any ideas?
also anyone got instruction cards?

Did you look on my website http://www.inkochnito.nl ?
Look in the Stern Electronics section.
Right now I only got one instruction card image.
If there are people with other than cards than this image, please let me know.

Stern_Quick_Silver (resized).jpgStern_Quick_Silver (resized).jpg
#865 4 years ago

Is each new ball supposed to start you over on the QUICKSILVER targets?

#866 4 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

I don't know if it's a conservative setting but my game erases all the QUICKSLIVER letters in between balls.

#867 4 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Yes

1 week later
#868 4 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

This is definitely a setting. Factory setting would be to start over on every ball... which is why QS is such a tough game.
Liberal would be to accumulate letters from ball to ball. I have a friend that has his set up that way.

#869 4 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

Did you look on my website http://www.inkochnito.nl ?
Look in the Stern Electronics section.
Right now I only got one instruction card image.
If there are people with other than cards than this image, please let me know.[quoted image]

I made a black version of the cards for my QS because I have the dark green apron and I really liked the look of the black cards on some of my other Stern... like Big Game and Nine Ball.

I'll attach a JPEG of the letter sized sheet I made up. Just print with no scaling and it should work. Hopefully Pinside doesn't compress the file.

20171117_233256 (resized).jpg20171117_233256 (resized).jpgStern_Quick_Silver_instruction_cards-blk (resized).jpgStern_Quick_Silver_instruction_cards-blk (resized).jpg
#870 4 years ago

So i'm having a frustrating issue with my QS. It will randomly reset at ANYTIME you are playing (launching the ball, ripping the spinner, hitting targets, etc). At first I thought it could be a drop in power but that's not the case. All (and I mean all) my boards are new and this issue was happening before I started replacing. Any idea what this could be? I would record video but it resets at anytime it wants (5-45min intervals)...

#871 4 years ago
Quoted from DK:

So i'm having a frustrating issue with my QS. It will randomly reset at ANYTIME you are playing (launching the ball, ripping the spinner, hitting targets, etc). At first I thought it could be a drop in power but that's not the case. All (and I mean all) my boards are new and this issue was happening before I started replacing. Any idea what this could be? I would record video but it resets at anytime it wants (5-45min intervals)...

Maybe the connections in between the new mpu and psb boards need to be recrimped to keep the 5 volts up.

#872 4 years ago
Quoted from DK:

I would echo what crispin said. If not the boards, then definitely look at the connectors.
I assume you also have a new rectifier board? Make sure all the connectors going into that are done and also that there are no cold solder joints between the rectifier and the transformer. Could just be some small bad connection that is triggered by vibration or heat/expansion.

#873 4 years ago
Quoted from Drano:

I made a black version of the cards for my QS because I have the dark green apron and I really liked the look of the black cards on some of my other Stern... like Big Game and Nine Ball.
I'll attach a JPEG of the letter sized sheet I made up. Just print with no scaling and it should work. Hopefully Pinside doesn't compress the file.

Yes, Pinside resizes the image that are too large.
I've adjusted my file to include the black version too.
Here is a copy of the file too.
It will be on my website http://www.inkochnito.nl at the end of the month.

Peter

Stern_Quick_Silver_instruction_cards.pdfStern_Quick_Silver_instruction_cards.pdf
#874 4 years ago

I made black cards as well as green with the logo. Prefer the black. Printed on 12x18 cardstock is nice. Crappy ol' pic with the black card.
Stern.Quicksilver_cards.pdfStern.Quicksilver_cards.pdf

upload_-18 (resized).jpgupload_-18 (resized).jpg
#875 4 years ago

I have loved QUICKSILVER ever since I played it when it first hit my arcade back in June of 1980.

Some great insight here in episode #4 about everything Quicksilver from 2 old school collectors and one who has collected practically all the Classic Stern back before it was fashionable.

The Classic Pinball Podcast episode #4.
Links here. Choose your favorite method:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-classic-pinball-podcast/id1469743456
https://www.breaker.audio/the-classic-pinball-podcast
https://open.spotify.com/show/6JGvAzDFwCSJUwwWgBMCDd
https://radiopublic.com/the-classic-pinball-podcast-WR95kj
https://overcast.fm/itunes1469743456/the-classic-pinball-podcast

#876 4 years ago

Folks,
what rubbers are you using on the flippers?

Neil.

#877 4 years ago

I use yellow Perfect Play silicone style from Pinball Life.
But when in absolute have to have it like original mode, I put on a nice pair of standard yellow flipper rubber from PBR.
Most Classic Sterns came with standard yellow flipper rubber.
Ballys of the day mostly came with standard red flipper rubber.

#878 4 years ago

thanks Dave.

Could someone take some pictures of their flippers lowered and then fully extended. The quicksilver I picked up had williams wpc bats and the wrong assemblies. I put in a classic bally set but not sure the flippers are fully right.

Neil.

#879 4 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

thanks Dave.
Could someone take some pictures of their flippers lowered and then fully extended. The quicksilver I picked up had williams wpc bats and the wrong assemblies. I put in a classic bally set but not sure the flippers are fully right.
Neil.

Pinball Life sells complete assemblies for Stern's and Bally's.

https://www.pinballlife.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=ASE-1587-10x

https://www.pinballlife.com/full-flipper-assembly-for-classic-stern-machines-031980-to-021982.html

There are some minor differences. I can't see why they would not interchange, though.

As for bats, I use these custom aluminum bats and really like them. They are of Williams style but I adjust them where the forward surface needs to be and have no playing issues with the Williams style of bat on my Sterns.

#880 4 years ago

If you had not guessed George and I were in 2 different locations and experimented with trying to talk back and forth and capture the game sounds with a cell phone instead of a hard mic. Live and learn. The sound didn’t come out as well as a real mic would have captured. Still, you get the idea of all the wonderful sounds of this title in this episode.

Next episode (#6) we will record together and try to overcome remote recording. Please keep in mind we are not professionals and are trying to get better with each episode. We have not done ourselves any favors by recording in a bar room, parking lot and remotely. We're learning that this is not as easy as we thought but nevertheless fun to do.

I've discussed with George about doing a short segment to revisit the sounds in Quicksilver with a hard mic. as I want everyone to hear the sounds of this game as they should be heard. (as well as getting sounds on the next Classic Stern title we will be discussing)

Stay tuned.

Quoted from DRDAVE:

I have loved QUICKSILVER ever since I played it when it first hit my arcade back in June of 1980.
Some great insight here in episode #4 about everything Quicksilver from 2 old school collectors and one who has collected practically all the Classic Stern back before it was fashionable.
The Classic Pinball Podcast episode #4.
Links here. Choose your favorite method:
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-classic-pinball-podcast/id1469743456
https://www.breaker.audio/the-classic-pinball-podcast
https://open.spotify.com/show/6JGvAzDFwCSJUwwWgBMCDd
https://radiopublic.com/the-classic-pinball-podcast-WR95kj
https://overcast.fm/itunes1469743456/the-classic-pinball-podcast

#881 4 years ago
Quoted from DRDAVE:

I've discussed with George about doing a short segment to revisit the sounds in Quicksilver with a hard mic. as I want everyone to hear the sounds of this game as they should be heard. (as well as getting sounds on the next Classic Stern title we will be discussing)
Stay tuned.

“As they should be heard” is the key phrase here. Nothing on the internet (my videos included) accurately capture the sounds on this game. I hope you guys can pull it off because so many people don’t know how good the sounds are.

I’ve enjoyed your podcasts so far and am looking forward to future episodes.

1 week later
#882 4 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

“As they should be heard” is the key phrase here. Nothing on the internet (my videos included) accurately capture the sounds on this game. I hope you guys can pull it off because so many people don’t know how good the sounds are.
I’ve enjoyed your podcasts so far and am looking forward to future episodes.

Well then: Episode 5.1 QUICKSILVER REDUX to the rescue!

Addendum episode (Episode #5.1) quickly gets to the point getting all QUICKSILVER'S sounds recorded the way they should be heard:
Up close and personal! =)

And if you love STARGAZER like we do, then what a treat we have in store for you with our latest Podcast #6!

George and I talk in length about this most excellent game and it's history as well as the other Classic Stern titles the artist and designer for Stargazer accomplished during their run. AND this time around, we properly capture the sounds of the game in all its glory! We even play a few games and add colorful commentary. =) Be sure to hang on to the very end for a special easter egg. Did someone say Stern Junk? Blasphemy!

Happy Flippin' and listening,
David
pinballdoctor.com

#883 4 years ago

Great summary of the Quicksilver sounds! Embarrassed to say I still haven't gotten the "siren" sound yet!

#884 4 years ago

Ok I have joined the Club late last year

My Curtain Quicksilver i will call her because when I got her she was all dressed up, and it was not breathing ,not sure how many of these are left in the World but it seems the more this machine grows in popularity the more seem to be dug up,
i feel this game one of best old Sterns ever made, the sounds are Amazing

Some pics of when i first got her

Some pics with Curtains removed

After a few months of playing it & getting working 100% i then tore her apart to do a Restore Tart up to try to return her to her forma Glory

Also have been Listening to The Classic Pinball Podcasts you guys are great so much Knowledge

IMG_0756 (resized).jpgIMG_0756 (resized).jpgIMG_0757 (resized).jpgIMG_0757 (resized).jpgIMG_0748 (resized).jpgIMG_0748 (resized).jpgIMG_7651 (resized).JPGIMG_7651 (resized).JPGIMG_7653 (resized).JPGIMG_7653 (resized).JPG
#885 4 years ago
Quoted from Dicky:

Ok I have joined the Club late last year
My Curtain Quicksilver i will call her because when I got her she was all dressed up, and it was not breathing ,not sure how many of these are left in the World but it seems the more this machine grows in popularity the more seem to be dug up,
i feel this game one of best old Sterns ever made, the sounds are Amazing
Some pics of when i first got her
Some pics with Curtains removed
After a few months of playing it & getting working 100% i then tore her apart to do a Restore Tart up to try to return her to her forma Glory
Also have been Listening to The Classic Pinball Podcasts you guys are great so much Knowledge[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

A turquoise and purple cabinet for a pin with a green play field. What a color combination That sure is a nice looking play field. And your QS has the black and orange apron. Apron colors seem to be all over the place.

#886 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

A turquoise and purple cabinet for a pin with a green play field. What a color combination That sure is a nice looking play field. And your QS has the black and orange apron. Apron colors seem to be all over the place.

What a work of art it turned into though!!

#887 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Playfield had a Mylar Fitted but was not worn through like most normally are

So many many Different colours for the Aprons I found for the one machine , but i did change mine during the Restore to something a bit more green

#888 4 years ago

Ok so heres some of the Restore pics Cab Re stenciled Door Restored Legs Powder coated

just because there was not enough green the apron had to go green as well ,red sort of did not suit the machine

IMG_7903 (resized).JPGIMG_7903 (resized).JPGIMG_7915 (resized).JPGIMG_7915 (resized).JPGIMG_8021 (resized).JPGIMG_8021 (resized).JPGIMG_8024 (resized).JPGIMG_8024 (resized).JPGIMG_8339 (resized).JPGIMG_8339 (resized).JPGIMG_8350 (resized).JPGIMG_8350 (resized).JPGIMG_8342 (resized).JPGIMG_8342 (resized).JPG
#889 4 years ago
Quoted from Dicky:

Ok so heres some of the Restore pics Cab Re stenciled Door Restored Legs Powder coated
just because there was not enough green the apron had to go green as well ,red sort of did not suit the machine[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I assume the play field on the right is a Mirco unit? Correct?

Nice restore on the cabinet. And apron, also.

#890 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I assume the play field on the right is a Mirco unit? Correct?
Nice restore on the cabinet. And apron, also.

Yes the new Playfield is a Mirco

#891 4 years ago

Folks,
on my player 1 score display. The first number lights up 8, but doesn't in diagnostics. Just wondering best way to debug this. Tried the obvious replug all the connectors.

thanks,
Neil.

#892 4 years ago

to be clear, it lights up when it shouldn't when you get a score in that display you can see the segment that would normally be lit has got brighter...

#893 4 years ago

Switch it with player 4 display and see if the problem follows.

#894 4 years ago
Quoted from Dicky:

Yes the new Playfield is a Mirco

Nice work on the cabinet, she'll be back to her old self in no time.

#895 4 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

Switch it with player 4 display and see if the problem follows.

It does.

#896 4 years ago

First, reflow the header pins. If that doesn't fix it, replace the decoder chip.

#897 4 years ago

is that u20?

#898 4 years ago

It’s the only chip on the display board.

1 week later
#899 4 years ago

I see playfields and plastic sets are available. Are backglasses in the works as well for Quick Silver?

#900 4 years ago
Quoted from chad:

I see playfields and plastic sets are available. Are backglasses in the works as well for Quick Silver?

BG Resto makes repro Quicksilver back glasses.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 959.00
$ 3.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 189.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

Machine - For Sale
Spring Grove, IL
$ 10.00
$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 199.95
7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sandusky, OH
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,831 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 37.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/quicksilver-club-all-welcome/page/18 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.