IMG_3753 (resized).jpg
20230903_112757 (resized).jpg
20230902_143322 (resized).jpg
20230902_124820 (resized).jpg
image-5 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_8003 (resized).png
There are 1,832 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 37.
#451 6 years ago

Personally, I wouldn't do it as it would take away from the value of the game. Not too much though because, hey, who's gonna turn down a Quicksilver just because it has jewelled inserts???

Anyway, that's just my opinion, but if it really makes you happy, do it. It's your game, you get to call the shots.

#452 6 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Personally, I wouldn't do it as it would take away from the value of the game. Not too much though because, hey, who's gonna turn down a Quicksilver just because it has jewelled inserts???
Anyway, that's just my opinion, but if it really makes you happy, do it. It's your game, you get to call the shots.

What he said. But, save the original inserts you pull. Actually, go ahead and do this. It will devalue your game and you can sell it to me cheap

#453 6 years ago

Ok, thanks for the immediate response!

I forget to mention, I received defective green, blue and orange 3/4" inserts from Marco that will need to be polished on the inside surface. This is going to take some time. But this also led me to wonder why anyone would pick the old-style non-reinforced inserts (when even new they are crappy). I don't want to install defective inserts just because they look original.

#454 6 years ago

I say do it... I like it when machines have subtle changes that don't affect original game play....

#455 6 years ago
Quoted from klr650:

Ok, thanks for the immediate response!
I forget to mention, I received defective green, blue and orange 3/4" inserts from Marco that will need to be polished on the inside surface. This is going to take some time. But this also led me to wonder why anyone would pick the old-style non-reinforced inserts (when even new they are crappy). I don't want to install defective inserts just because they look original.

Question: If they are defective have you asked Marco to send you some replacements? If not, why not?

#456 6 years ago

So I've been out in the garage polishing the insides of those Marco 3/4" blue, green and orange see-thru inserts... Looks like they will be fine. Like I said, it just takes more time. Patience is a virtue! I should be thankful (defects aside) that these are even available at all.

FYI, for anyone else that is having this issue, just use a Dremel cylindrical polishing tip with some Enkay blue compound. Takes a bit of time but if you rotate through all your 3/4" inserts you can avoid overheating them.

I will proceed with these old style inserts for now but if I see any other QA/QC issues, I am switching to the starburst inserts.

Edit: Shout out to Pinballife! All the inserts I got from Pinballife (clear, opaque and starburst) have no defects. The only inserts they didn't carry are the ones I am having trouble with (with the nasty swirl marks).

Thanks everyone!

1 week later
#457 6 years ago

Couple of questions.

Did anyone make a reproduction glass for this game?

And what are the correct legs? Color/size etc.

Thanks

#458 6 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Couple of questions.
Thanks

Bgresto has a Quicksilver repro back glass on file.

http://bgresto.com/ Scroll down about 2/3rds down

#459 6 years ago

Couple of questions.
Thanks

Sell me your Quicksilver and you won't have to worry about any of these details

#460 6 years ago

Anybody know of a nos playfield or a respectable one that could be restored? Mine is pretty far gone and don't think it can be saved.

#461 6 years ago

Could you take a pic? Might be easy to fix via Drano's technique (earlier in the thread). Especially if the wear is only in the green areas.

#462 6 years ago
Quoted from tdiddy:

Anybody know of a nos playfield or a respectable one that could be restored? Mine is pretty far gone and don't think it can be saved.

If I knew of one I would already own it. Would you like to sell yours?

#463 6 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

If I knew of one I would already own it. Would you like to sell yours?

I'll sell my old playfield as soon as I find a new old lol

Quoted from klr650:

Could you take a pic? Might be easy to fix via Drano's technique (earlier in the thread). Especially if the wear is only in the green areas.

I'll post some pictures tomorrow but it's down to barewood

#464 6 years ago
Quoted from bluespin:

Sell me your Quicksilver and you won't have to worry about any of these details

I don't have one.......yet

#465 6 years ago

I don't have one.......yet

This suspiciously sounds like you may have one located? Speak. Tell us all about it. We won't try to rush your action

#466 6 years ago

I had a pretty big party this weekend at my place and I have to say that Quicksilver was the hit of the event. I had a cash offer the next day that would have allowed me to purchase a new Star Wars Pro. Too bad they don't make pins as addicting as the early 80s pins

#467 6 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

This suspiciously sounds like you may have one located? Speak. Tell us all about it. We won't try to rush your action

Not yet! Just decided that will get one as it's the only game on my want list. But, want a nice one..... and not talking about it anywhere else than this thread as don't want word to get out what a good game this is

Does anyone know correct legs as so often these are wrong so might end up getting legs first

#468 6 years ago
Quoted from DK:

Too bad they don't make pins as addicting as the early 80s pins

They finally have. One game: Total Nuclear Annihilation. Been described by some as "Quicksilver on Steroids."

#469 6 years ago
Quoted from klr650:

They finally have. One game: Total Nuclear Annihilation. Been described by some as "Quicksilver on Steroids

Yep, I'm No. 174 on that one, the comparisons with Quicksilver are a big reason.

#470 6 years ago

i am thinking... just thinking right now of re-theming my quicksilver. It is one of my favorite playing games but i could care less for the artwork. It is never leaving my collection so i am not worried it ever re selling. my biggest contemplation is whether to sell the back glass and play field and find one in shitty condition, or just trace out the playfield and make a copy, that way it can go back to original

#471 6 years ago

Oh God, I hope I didn't trigger those thoughts with all my recent talk of installing starburst inserts!

Incidentally, I finished replacing every insert on my playfield. All the inserts are original style and are dead flat. A very good start for clearcoating.

#472 6 years ago
Quoted from toasterman04:

my biggest contemplation is whether to sell the back glass and play field and find one in shitty condition

Toasterdog if you get to that point please shoot me a pm. I would love to upgrade my playfield as the whole bonus area is wearing away to the wood.

#473 6 years ago
Quoted from Crispin:

Toasterdog if you get to that point please shoot me a pm. I would love to upgrade my playfield as the whole bonus area is wearing away to the wood.

Who you callin a dog?!?!? I'm a man!!!!

#474 6 years ago

i am thinking... just thinking right now of re-theming my quicksilver. It is one of my favorite playing games but i could care less for the artwork. It is never leaving my collection so i am not worried it ever re selling. my biggest contemplation is whether to sell the back glass and play field and find one in shitty condition, or just trace out the playfield and make a copy, that way it can go back to original

I don't mind seeing a retheme of a high number game like Flash Gordon. It would truly be a travesty for there to be one less QS in this world. It's rare enough. Just my opinion.

#475 6 years ago

Doh sorry Toasterman the avatar should have tipped me off!

#476 6 years ago
Quoted from Crispin:

Doh sorry Toasterman the avatar should have tipped me off!

Lol jk.....

Quoted from TigerLaw:

I don't mind seeing a retheme of a high number game like Flash Gordon. It would truly be a travesty for there to be one less QS in this world. It's rare enough. Just my opinion.

And that is my dilemma .... pretty torn about the idea.... good thing I don't move fast...

#477 6 years ago

So...here's what a "Naked" Quicksilver looks like (before clearing, filling holes, or touch ups). The only work done so far is some cleaning, installing inserts and sanding. Got the shooter lane sanded but there is a stupid knot in the lane (looks like a straight dark line drawn across the lane) Still need to "de-gloss" a few low spots but almost ready. Really looking forward to getting that first layer of clear on so I can start filling and touching up!

IMG_20170907_195518823 (resized).jpgIMG_20170907_195518823 (resized).jpg

#478 6 years ago

It's gonna be nice! Where did you get the inserts? Oh, and the knot just adds character.

#479 6 years ago

I got almost all inserts from Pinballife but the 3/4" transparent inserts came from Marco. Those had to be polished on the insides cause they had some really nasty swirl marks.

#480 6 years ago

Nothing like real oak. Still has to be painted black and clearcoated. Hopefully the grain of the wood will still show through.

FYI, these are to replace the plastic laminate-coated finger-jointed pine rails that came with the machine. The plastic was peeling off of mine.

IMG_20170907_200925830 (resized).jpgIMG_20170907_200925830 (resized).jpg

#481 6 years ago

It's your game and you can do what you want with it, but since there are so few of these, I would think another early Stern game might be a better candidate.

#482 6 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

It's your game and you can do what you want with it, but since there are so few of these, I would think another early Stern game might be a better candidate

That's how I feel. I'd never tell someone what to do with their property, but man, there are so many people that want in this rather exclusive club...

#483 6 years ago

Essential Resources:

Upper Right: Drano's Adobe Illustrator Template for Quicksilver's small text. Many thanks @Drano, you are a lifesaver!!

Lower Right: Adobe Illustrator Template I recently threw together for the black insert text and keylines.

Assorted Color Swatches (with slices cut out) - Just to assist me with getting a close match (mostly so I can take the swatches with me when I am shopping for airbrush colors)

I think I may have ended up in a "thinking too much, and getting nothing done" phase of this project.

IMG_20170908_100606493_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20170908_100606493_HDR (resized).jpg

#484 6 years ago

Wow it's gonna turn out beautiful I am sure.... excited for more updates

#485 6 years ago
Quoted from brenna98:

I can ask, but I would think the same too.
Got 10 people so far! Who else wants in?

I'm in ... please add me to the list for a set of plastics!

#487 6 years ago

Can a dreamer join the club.

#489 6 years ago
Quoted from master_blaster:

please add me to the list for a set of plastics!

Quoted from mof:

I'm in for plastics...

Thanks! got you both added.

#490 6 years ago

Man, there are going to be a lot of owners of repro QS plastics. All without a QS to put them onto. The next QS that comes up for sale will be getting hit by a school of piranhas that have smelled blood

#491 6 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Man, there are going to be a lot of owners of repro QS plastics. All without a QS to put them onto. The next QS that comes up for sale will be getting hit like a school of piranhas that have smelled blood

I was just thinking the same thing.

#493 6 years ago

I have no idea what sort of criteria CPR uses to base a decision on whether to repro a particular play field but it seems to me that a repro QS play field and repro QS plastics would be right up CPR's alley. I mean, judging from this thread it looks like there would be some buyers here. You can put me down for one.

I mean, CPRs Boutique Zone is fishing for interest for Bally's Voltan and there were only 365 of that pin produced. CPR is also fishing for interest for a Bally Spectrum and less than 1000 of those pins were produced.

Quicksilver just seems like it would be a good one to check for interest on.

BG Resto already makes the back glass. Cabinets can be made. Altek boards can be bought. All the parts for a build are out there. The only challenge would be to obtain a 5-target drop assembly and the wiring.

EDIT: I have been informed that QS has one 4-bank drop and one 3-bank drop; Not a 5-bank as I stated.

#494 6 years ago

I emailed them a few weeks ago regarding considering a Quicksilver run. No response (yet). It's an excellent choice, nearly every playfield out there is seriously blown out.

#495 6 years ago

I'd probably buy 2 playfields.

#496 6 years ago
Quoted from klr650:

I emailed them a few weeks ago regarding considering a Quicksilver run. No response (yet). It's an excellent choice, nearly every playfield out there is seriously blown out.

I'd be in for one playfields as well.

#497 6 years ago

Well hell... if you guys won't let me retheme it I might as well go on the list for a new playfield as well

#498 6 years ago

Honestly, this is like my favorite early SS. The sounds, the game play, the theme, it's just frickin cool.

#499 6 years ago

OK. I count 5 with questionable common sense that would be in for a QS play field. Any more? Let get the train loaded and hit CPR with a power email

#500 6 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

OK. I count 5 with questionable common sense that would be in for a QS play field. Any more? Let get the train loaded and hit CPR with a power email

Might have better luck talking to John Greatwitch about a possible run.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 189.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Spring Grove, IL
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sandusky, OH
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 3.00
$ 959.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,832 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 37.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/quicksilver-club-all-welcome/page/10 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.