75%
  • Rust-Oleum Metallic Shimmer 0 votes
  • Krylon Shimmer Metallic 0 votes
  • Rust-Oleum 2X Aluminum 1 vote
    25%
  • Rust-Oleum 2X Metallic 0 votes

(4 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 24 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

EA3FB930-6CA5-44AF-A883-AE8EBB803C7C (resized).jpeg
B882C952-4348-4AAE-B60D-2501D7479C2D (resized).jpeg
805F5A0F-C9FB-4088-B492-DF96D4E449B5 (resized).jpeg
0C37E981-08B4-4095-AB80-BC17DD60BAB2 (resized).jpeg
0D9C3B9B-BCB9-48F4-A16F-91510FF3BE87 (resized).jpeg
A94039F7-A71E-4F09-8ED9-9CC0992FB4DF (resized).jpeg
ACF59225-C56E-47D3-B2F2-EC12710BB080 (resized).jpeg
20180716_090908 (resized).jpg
20180716_090850 (resized).jpg
20180716_090822 (resized).jpg
20180716_090832 (resized).jpg
20180716_090802 (resized).jpg
20180716_090735 (resized).jpg
20180716_090721 (resized).jpg
20180716_090658 (resized).jpg
20180713_093548 (resized).jpg

#1 11 months ago

I am in the process of restoring my Quicksilver thanks to people like Skypilot, klr650 and Drano who inspired me to get off my ass. For me this title is one of my favorites and when I found one a couple of years ago I didn't care that the center of the bonus area on the playfield was blown out. Well after seeing what Skypilot did with his playfield I suddenly couldn't stand to look at mine. I asked around and found someone willing to restore my playfield and he even suggested that if I was willing to drop it off in person he wouldn't need anything stripped from the bottom of the playfield! After doing a swap on Centaur, Black Knight and Fathom this sounded fantastic because each time I thought I was finished I experienced a ground short that had to be traced down. If not for Devin down in Frederick MD, (pinsider sohchx,) this poor playfield would have spread its wear all over the playfield because the game is addicting. Devin was kind enough to take on this project not because of my NY charm but to save a classic from oblivion. Here's a pic of the wear:

After removing everything from the top and delivering the playfield I put the cabinet in storage and was satisfied until I continued reading Skypilot's thread and saw the cabinet being redone. I also had been communicating with the playfield restorer and he wasn't comfortable matching the background green so we decided he would repaint all the background on the playfield. Since he was redoing all the inserts and text before he cleared the playfield I thought the final result would warrant the new cabinet so I pulled her out of storage. Here are some pics of the cab. Although it looks like most of the art is there the nicks and scrapes, slight planking and dinginess of the grey made me sand her down.

Now that the cabinet is sanded I'd like to get your opinions on which color to paint the background color. Before it was sanded from a few feet back with the age and nicotine it looks like a flat grey. When you look at the inside walls that were under the glass it looks like a silver. Since she's called Quicksilver I am going to use silver. I plan on using rattle cans and can't decide how much shimmer in the silver I want to go. Would really appreciate opinions or tips. Thanks for your time,
Chris

The 1st link is Krylon Maxx Aluminum/Metallic: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Krylon-Aluminum-Metallic-CoverMaxx/42440898

The 2nd is Krylon Metallic Silver: https://www.enasco.com/p/9731728(A)A

The 3rd is Rust-Oleum Metallic Silver: amazon.com link »

The 4th is Krylon Shimmer Metallic: https://www.michaels.com/krylon-shimmer-metallic-spray-paint/M10288177.html

The 5th is Rust-oleum 2X Aluminum + primer in 1: ebay.com link

The 6th is Rust-Oleum 2X Metallic Silver + primer in 1: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Rust-Oleum-American-Accents-Ultra-Cover-2X-Metallic-Silver-Spray-Paint-and-Primer-in-1-11-oz/223482480?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227147251775&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=256569528476&wl4=pla-424154675017&wl5=9004478&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=223482480&wl13=&veh=sem

#2 11 months ago

i like krylon metallic silver

for some inspiration...

a7158831494740d0592e9c4222f5876b326ba585.jpeg (resized).jpg

#3 11 months ago
Quoted from Redketchup:

i like krylon metallic silver
for some inspiration...

That's HOT

#4 11 months ago

Try a base of Rustoleum Aluminum (professional series) with a topcoat of the metallic. Sounds a little overdone but I used that approach on some automotive stuff and it looked very nice.

IMG_6679A (resized).JPG

IMG_4392 (resized).JPG

#5 11 months ago

Thank you gentleman!! I will go with the Tractor Doc's Rustoleum Aluminum then finish off with Redketchup's Krylon Metallic.

#6 11 months ago

Make sure you test spray a couple samples first before hitting your cabinet to #1. Confirm compatibility and #2. Make sure you like the result.

#7 11 months ago

That’s gonna be a beauty when she is done. Damn you have a new PF in your fathom and now this. I’m jealous!

#8 11 months ago

Look forward to seeing the progress!

#9 11 months ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

Make sure you test spray a couple samples first before hitting your cabinet to #1. Confirm compatibility and #2. Make sure you like the result.

Good idea thank you.

Quoted from Pmaino:

That’s gonna be a beauty when she is done. Damn you have a new PF in your fathom and now this. I’m jealous!

Please, I saw your Kruzman Paragon that you just installed!! Can't wait to try her out!!

#10 11 months ago

Mine has this same nicotine film resulting in this same greenish silver colour. In a way I like that "pearl effect". But then the one from Redketchup looks amazing, great colour as well. Dang! I'm already in doubt what cabinet colour to go for when restoring mine .

I'm following!

One question though: this photo confuses me. What is that pattern on the bottom plate?

646073303fd0f91df4eb18cd1bbd899813ee36d8 (resized).jpg

#11 11 months ago

Looks like mine isn't the only machine with a very unique bottom. My Quicksilver (#10618) has fake brick panelling! I did notice that our machines were only 19 units apart so maybe (at the time) Stern got a really good deal on a batch of mixed wood panelling?
We should start a thread called: "What kind of weird bottom does your Quicksilver cabinet have?"

#12 11 months ago
Quoted from g94:

One question though: this photo confuses me. What is that pattern on the bottom plate?

I'm guessing someone had replaced the underside with paneling at one point.

#13 11 months ago

Little more just for fun

0C16D673-33DE-4E70-9186-E3B812FED1D0 (resized).jpeg

28E0AD61-A01D-40B2-B51C-95026C9DB418 (resized).jpeg

#14 11 months ago

Ha you just beat me klr! That's interesting!

#15 11 months ago

Here's a photo I just took of the underside of my machine. Your panelling is much fancier than mine!

IMG_20180509_183134200_LL (resized).jpg

#16 11 months ago

Just beautiful Redketchup! I think I'd like to powder coat the trim and door the same way. I met Tim at Allentown from ADC powder coating and he had a black/grey pattern that looked great. Wish I would have thought ahead...

#17 11 months ago
Quoted from klr650:

Here's a photo I just took of the underside of my machine. Your panelling is much fancier than mine!

Yeah but your pattern is uniform. My offset pattern annoys me when I see her standing up.

#18 11 months ago
Quoted from klr650:

"What kind of weird bottom does your Quicksilver cabinet have?"

klr650 ha-ha. How crazy is that. What were they thinking? Oh man I love pinball... keeps amazing me every day.

2 months later
#19 9 months ago

Ladies and Gentleman, may I introduce you to the newly restored Quicksilver playfield made possible by sohchx, Devin in MD!! One of the nicest, most patient craftsman you will ever meet. He was considerate, responsive, methodical, patient as hell and above all takes pride in producing the best result possible for what he has to work with. He explained the entire process in detail and what I should expect before we agreed to move forward. This playfield wasn't a wham bam thank you ma'am clear coat deal. Almost every single insert was cupped and only still in the playfield thanks to gravity. He removed each insert, sanded them flat and re-glued them in. Since the green background was hard to match he masked off the rest of the playfield art and airbrushed all new green background. He sealed in all the artwork with a couple of coats of clear and then added the rub on text that I learned of from Draino's restoration thread. I believe klr650 also has a link to key line files I used. He then rebuilt the trough area that had ball wear leading into the shooter lane and added 6 more coats of clear sealing in all that goodness. I can't thank him enough for not giving up through a ton of work that I'm sure was not anticipated. The playfield's surface is now nice and uniform and all the art and text is present and sealed in permantly. Here's Devin with his final work of art.
20180713_093558 (resized).jpg 20180713_093548 (resized).jpg20180716_090658 (resized).jpg20180716_090721 (resized).jpg20180716_090735 (resized).jpg20180716_090802 (resized).jpg20180716_090822 (resized).jpg20180716_090832 (resized).jpg20180716_090850 (resized).jpg20180716_090908 (resized).jpg

#20 9 months ago

Wow, that darker shade of green really makes everything pop! I hope someone sprays down a black Quicksilver playfield some day, that would kick so much ass!

#21 9 months ago

Thanks klr, Devin was kind enough to mask off all of the artwork and airbrush in a new background color so there wasn't a color matching issue.

#22 9 months ago

Wow I just stumbled on this thread and knew you had plans to restore this QS but man this is over the top sweet! Glad to see this game with imo not only great gameplay but the absolute best classic pinball sounds getting the respect it deserves.

#23 9 months ago

I really wish that I was able to get that green matched and it's still bugging the hell out of me to this day. If it weren't for those meddling mylar rings!!!

#24 9 months ago
Quoted from Crispin:

... with the playfield restorer and he wasn't comfortable matching the background green so we decided he would repaint all the background on the playfield

I wonder what might be so difficult about matching the playfield green. It seems a pretty basic green to me. But since the whole playfield has been masked and repainted, it would not have mattered if the green was slightly off. Hence I assume that it was a deliberate choice to use a very different green. I don't think that it's a choice I would make, but I appreciate the idea. In the original art package the green is the same for playfield and plastics, which makes them blend together, so I'm curious to see the final result where the original green from the plastics will stand out from the new much darker playfield green.

#25 9 months ago

oops sorry twice

#26 9 months ago

I'm not feeling this also, if all the work was done to mask off 95% off the playfield to paint it....why not take the extra step and run if over to home depot to have them color match it? I agree with the plastics not matching statement above, probably going to look pretty odd. Also the mylar rings? Were those cleared over....if so, that could be issues in the future and why wasn't the white under the G.I. done?

#27 9 months ago
Quoted from g94:

I wonder what might be so difficult about matching the playfield green. It seems a pretty basic green to me. But since the whole playfield has been masked and repainted, it would not have mattered if the green was slightly off. Hence I assume that it was a deliberate choice to use a very different green. I don't think that it's a choice I would make, but I appreciate the idea. In the original art package the green is the same for playfield and plastics, which makes them blend together, so I'm curious to see the final result where the original green from the plastics will stand out from the new much darker playfield green.

I myself attempted a match or close enough to no avail. I then took the field to 3 local professional artists who also could not come close which was extremely surprising. I then choose the color which has been used by the majority of members here on their own QS fields. In the end this was the color that Cris and I agreed to use after he had a look at the other members fields.

#28 9 months ago
Quoted from tdiddy:

I'm not feeling this also, if all the work was done to mask off 95% off the playfield to paint it....why not take the extra step and run if over to home depot to have them color match it? I agree with the plastics not matching statement above, probably going to look pretty odd. Also the mylar rings? Were those cleared over....if so, that could be issues in the future and why wasn't the white under the G.I. done?

Home depot does not stock the type or quality of paint that I use for restos. They probably could have matched it electronically I'm sure. The rings were no cleared over. They were masked and the clear brought up to be level with them. Attempting to remove the rings would have resulted in pulling up the art completely, even using the multiple known Mylar removal methods would not have worked. The paint was that fragile. The G.I. whites were chosen by Cris to remain original.

#29 9 months ago

My blown out QS play field has those crappy half-moon protectors in front of the slings. Are you going to tell me that I am stuck with them? That no known method of removal exists that will not pull up the art work? No cans of compressed air? No dry ice? No heat gun? No nothing?

#30 9 months ago
Quoted from klr650:

Looks like mine isn't the only machine with a very unique bottom. My Quicksilver (#10618) has fake brick panelling! I did notice that our machines were only 19 units apart so maybe (at the time) Stern got a really good deal on a batch of mixed wood panelling?
We should start a thread called: "What kind of weird bottom does your Quicksilver cabinet have?"

Quoted from Crispin:

I'm guessing someone had replaced the underside with paneling at one point.

Your paneled bottom is not Quicksilver alone. My Nine Ball had that crappy fiberboard for a bottom. It was warped and sagging. I ripped in out and installed a nice piece of wood paneling. The spare Nine Ball cab I got from Tractor Doc has the "standard" crosshatched fiber board bottom.

My Seawitch has a nice wooden bottom from the factory. It seems like Stern sort of grabbed for the deal-of-day for production runs.

#31 9 months ago
Quoted from tdiddy:

No worries, not everyone has to love it, it's going in my machine. The only thing I would go back in time for are the mylar rings. The mylar wouldn't remove without losing major art underneath so we decided to leave them alone. Should be an interesting bulls eye look with the yellow pop bumper skirts, original green and then the new green. Devin asked me if I wanted to repaint the areas under the plastics white but I didn't find it necessary. It's just fantastic to have all my bonus area back, the inserts, the playfield and insert text, the key lines look all brand new and are all sealed under the clear. If the pop bumper area bothers me in the future I can always order a brand new playfield from CPR now,(perhaps with an all black background as klr650 mused). Now that I think of it since I don't have the proper green on green apron the black playfield background would have matched my black and red apron better.
When I started this project the new CPR capabilities weren't made public yet so artists like Devin were my only option. When I learned that he could work with everything still attached to the bottom of the playfield that was the deciding factor for me to start the restore. Suddenly the project was a hell off a lot easier. Still a ways to go yet. While this playfield cures I need to find the time on a nice day to get outside and spray the cabinet.

#32 9 months ago

I removed pop bumper mylar ring in my two last restoration (nine ball and viper) and with the frozing method, i didn’t lost any paint... you should have try

EA3FB930-6CA5-44AF-A883-AE8EBB803C7C (resized).jpegACF59225-C56E-47D3-B2F2-EC12710BB080 (resized).jpeg0D9C3B9B-BCB9-48F4-A16F-91510FF3BE87 (resized).jpegA94039F7-A71E-4F09-8ED9-9CC0992FB4DF (resized).jpegB882C952-4348-4AAE-B60D-2501D7479C2D (resized).jpeg0C37E981-08B4-4095-AB80-BC17DD60BAB2 (resized).jpeg805F5A0F-C9FB-4088-B492-DF96D4E449B5 (resized).jpeg

#33 9 months ago
Quoted from sohchx:

I myself attempted a match or close enough to no avail. I then took the field to 3 local professional artists who also could not come close which was extremely surprising. I then choose the color which has been used by the majority of members here on their own QS fields. In the end this was the color that Cris and I agreed to use after he had a look at the other members fields.

I wish I would of known the problems you guys were having. I don't get on here much. The green has alot of blue in it from the base colors and therefore is very tricky to match. My local body shopped pegged it in about 3 hours. If you are having locals trying to match, without a paint match machine, it would be tough.

Not much on the darker color.

#34 9 months ago

I'm a little worried when reading all this. I will know soon enough, as I'm about to attack my own QS very soon.
So far I never encountered too much trouble in matching a colour, so that would be a first... hopefully not.
Anyway: I am using Createx and Dr. Ph Martin airbrush paints, I will post my mix in case I manage to make a match.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 19.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Renaissance, FLORIDA

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside