IMG_2269 (resized).JPG
IMG_2252 (resized).JPG
IMG_2251 (resized).JPG
IMG_2250 (resized).JPG
5b271a9d956720b8d88622eb6c53829175a3239e (resized).jpg
IMG_1619 (resized).jpg
IMG_1618 (resized).jpg
IMG_1570 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider KSUWildcatFan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

It has been 4 months since I was last working on my Quicksilver build. Lots of things going on, like me getting over Covid. Long Covid: Constant fatigue.
Anyway, I have GI lights as of 30 minutes ago. Tomorrow I will start with installing the play field wiring.
[quoted image]
Just as with my Star Gazer build, I have continued with using the copper foil tape for the controlled lamps. I have had good results with both my Big Game restoration and Star Gazer build and see no reason to change.
[quoted image]
The cab is 95% complete. And the back box is almost finished, however, I have a problem I need to resolve before I can finish the back box.

I think the copper foil tape looks a lot better than typical ground braid.

This thing is going to be awesome!

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I have completed the controlled lamps wiring. I am making some minor changes to the GI and then I will move to wire up the switches.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
Going from this:
[quoted image]
To this:
Got rid of a lot of wire
[quoted image]
I shoved all of the excess wire up close to the wafer connectors. Once I have the back box installed and the harness connectors connected, I will get busy re-pinning all connectors. At that time I will remove all of the now-excess wiring.
[quoted image]
Next task is wiring up the switches.

Not going to lie, the sprawled out wire is giving me anxiety lol.

You're doing a great job on this, it looks awesome!

2 weeks later
#31 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

The wiring is complete.
I still need to buy a pair of new flipper assemblies from PBL. Other than the flippers, the wiring is complete. The drops have been overhauled. The pops cleaned and adjusted. All lamps passed the lighting test. And the switches all have continuity.
Because of the way I used the copper tape for the feature wires, I decided that terminal block would be the best way to attach the GI and feature wire from connector J-1 on the rectifier board.
I did this harness in layers the same as I did with my Star Gazer build. The lamps are on mounted to the play field. The switches are in the middle. And the solenoids are on the top. The solenoids are where you are most likely to have problems so they have been isolated in top position for easy access. 40 years from now, maybe someone will appreciate it
It is overkill? I won't argue against you. Indeed, I did question my sanity for the last two weeks because I could have slopped the OG harness on and been finished in a couple of days. But, in the end, I like doing wiring. I do not like chasing electronic gremlins but I do like running wire. Plus, I have that Cheetah harness from the populated play field I bought several years ago. I did not label any of the connections when I pulled that harness. After doing this work, I'm not concerned about tackling an unlabeled harness.
Besides, it is/was a 40 year old wiring harness and I am building this Quicksilver to sell. I still have the task of re-pinning every connector to assure a trouble free harness for a trouble free pin.
Tomorrow, I'll roll it over and start mounting play field parts. [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Feel free to drop this beautiful piece of artwork off at my house when it's all done. Thanks in advance! ;D

Looks absolutely fantastic, not that anyone here is surprised by that fact. Great work.

3 weeks later
#63 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

And now that I am almost finished with my Quicksilver build it is coming unraveled.
Play field problems. Mirco play field problems.
Short story: I went in to the build room late the other night to look things over and saw this. I had a play field post spilt in half. And it took the paint with it.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
And this is what it looks like with a good post set into position.
[quoted image]
And what does Mirco say? " It looks like you over-torqued it."
I have not figured out what Plan "B" is going to be yet. I have about 3-4 hours of work left to do on the cabinet, and perhaps another 10 hours left to do on the back box. I will continue to work on getting the cab and back box finished while I figure out what to do.
Majorly bummed out.

Oh man...

On one hand, something like that would certainly not keep me from buying a game (even though it definitely sucks) but on the other, that's an absolute soul-crushing blow for a full-on restore of the quality you are doing.

That really sucks, I wish I had *any* advice on how to fix that (if it's even possible).

#71 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

From Day 1, my plan was to build this Quicksilver to sell. I always have kept my eye on quality issues because I want my buyer to be satisfied and happy.
Now, I will have to advertise it as: "Fresh build Quicksilver, with a repaired play field..." That has a great sound to it.

Yeah, selling with caveats sure doesn't help the cause. Keep me in mind when you're ready to list it? Maybe I'll just skip out of building my own altogether. Then I can either rebuild the Galaxy I gutted or do something else entirely with that cab.

Sorry for the bad luck, really. That's beyond sad to see.

#73 1 year ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

No. This is Mirco's clear coat.
This play field was produced with Mirco's "new" way of prepping play fields in an effort to overcome his pooling and peeling problems with Jersey Jack play fields.
This play field is 18 months old. I put the first post on about 4 months ago. So, 14 months cure time.
Here are some other areas showing heavy compression of the clear coat, which looked like pooling when the posts were in place.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

So, pretty much everywhere that any tension was put against the playfield whatsoever? What a joke.

#77 1 year ago
Quoted from A_Bord:

Beyond frustrating. And of course no warranty or replacement.
Probably best to strip the topside and reclear. Can't think of any other solution.

cottonm4 if you do end up having it recleared you might contact Matt Pluff in KC. He's very busy but he does good work. Worth an ask, and I can probably play middle man on getting it to him the next time I'm in wichita. Nbd either way, just sharing potential options. He's correcting my friend's CPR meteor and reclearing it. Another poorly-done new playfield, albeit for different reasons.

Quoted from cottonm4:

Some areas are not as bad.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Still seems like more than you should have *anywhere*, with fully cured clear. Seems there is SUCH a fine line on absolute catastrophic failure and "meh, whatever" dimpling that ultimately shouldn't have happened either. Mirco should be ashamed of that "quality".

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

Machine - For Sale
Spring Grove, IL
7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sandusky, OH
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 959.00
$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 189.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 199.95
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider KSUWildcatFan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/quicksilver-build-is-proceeding-along?tu=KSUWildcatFan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.