(Topic ID: 90280)

Quickie!....What type of lighting do you use in your Pin Area?

By OLDPINGUY

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“The question is, If you LED your pins, what is the lighting situation in the room when you play?”

• Overhead lighting, and On when playing 13 votes
      21%
    • Overhead lighting, and Off when playing 12 votes
      20%
    • Individual lights, and On when playing 2 votes
      3%
    • Individual lights, and Off when playing 2 votes
      3%
    • Room Lighting, and controlled with a dimmer, dimmed during play 27 votes
      44%
    • By Flashlight only or "Other" 5 votes
      8%

(61 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC08818.JPG
    #1 9 years ago

OK, I have been watching the thread on people who pull the LEDs out of a game and replace them with incandescent.
    This got me thinking, as I receive many emails with the answer, depending on the question in this poll.

As we all light up our games differently, and we all have different eyes and tastes, sometimes the difference in HOW to LED a game comes from how you intend to play and the lighting conditions.

So, maybe a little Poll might help.

The question is, If you LED your pins, what is the lighting situation in the room when you play?

I am not sure I can guess this answer right at all.....thanks.

#2 9 years ago

Dark room, with black lights and one strand of cool white LED rope lights around the perimeter....

#3 9 years ago

I have four recessed lights and often have them off or dimmed while playing.

#4 9 years ago

Lit by the wonderful glow of Pinball Machines!

#5 9 years ago

My new ST Pro lights the whole room now, before I had an LED table I didn't have a very good solution for lighting

#6 9 years ago

Cyan and blue perimeter rope lights, several fluorescent blacklights, neon sign, and led club effect lighting. I like my gameroom "trippy" and dark for gameplay. No natural light makes it in, only cool ambiance in my basement!

#7 9 years ago

Oh I forgot the most important part, a disco ball with motor rotation. Two white LED pinspots to shine on it! Really makes the room POP

#8 9 years ago

I play in the dark with only Xmas red/green rope lights which I picked up on clearance a few years ago.

#9 9 years ago

We have 6 of the 1970s canned lights and 2 spotlights pointed to the mantle area, and all were replaced with the super bright LED flush bulbs. We also replaced weird 'bar lighting" with 2 pendant lights over the pins by the stairs. It is as bright as an arena if we want it to be, plus glass sliding doors to the backyard lets in natural light for a softer effect. But if I am playing pinball, the black-out curtains are closed and the lights are off. If I have people over, the main lights are off but all the pins are on and I have a few lamps that I turn on around the room.

#10 9 years ago

I dont know how people can play pinball with lights overhead to make it easier.

Just wrapped up my Sharkeys with OldpinGuys Opmax gi bulbs, thanks Art!

DSC08818.JPGDSC08818.JPG

#11 9 years ago

At night, the pin area receives indirect lighting from the next room and hallway. No overhead lighting in the room.

#12 9 years ago

I have recessed dimming flood lights and have the bulbs removed over the pins b/c they reflected too bad. But keep the other ones on low light when playing.

#13 9 years ago

My candles and whale oil lamps are going full blast. The flickering helps accustom my eyes to the LEDs.

#14 9 years ago

Color changing perimeter rope light and individual halogen lamps (dimmed) aimed at the machine. Overhead LED lights off.

(At least that's the plan when my games are finally moved into my new game room)

#15 9 years ago

Dimmed LED track lighting overhead, Blue rope lights, black lights, candle light, the light of my life.

#16 9 years ago

this is what I have...(not my video)...they are installed and I am at the final part of finishing the room, (paint and flooring) should have some pics up in the next couple of weeks...

#17 9 years ago
    Quoted from burningman:

this is what I have...(not my video)...they are installed and I am at the final part of finishing the room, (paint and flooring) should have some pics up in the next couple of weeks...

Dude, that's awesome! Where did you buy them? I am very interested in a kit for my pool table room.

#18 9 years ago

I really like low light to empasize the beauty of the artwork. I use dimmers and
    old style lamps. No CFL's or LEDs for me for room lighting!
    At one of the two pinball shows held in Las Vega years ago (put on by Tim Arnold
    and Herb Silvers), later in the evening they turned off all of the lights for a while.
    THAT was something I'll never forget! Hundreds of games providing the only
    light in a huge room.
    Steve

#19 9 years ago
    Quoted from big_ragu:

My new ST Pro lights the whole room now, before I had an LED table I didn't have a very good solution for lighting

Same here, although I do have blacklight carpet. Just added mirror blades to the STPro last night and now I see spots after I play...

#20 9 years ago
    Quoted from Manbearpig:

Dude, that's awesome! Where did you buy them? I am very interested in a kit for my pool table room.

here:
    http://ledlightshack.com/LED-Crazy-Lights-C306779.aspx?sid=32163

I had to get a 4 piece kit...room is about 20x11

#21 9 years ago
    Quoted from burningman:

Yeah i remember seeing that video. I liked that look as well good choice. Looks very sharp.

#22 9 years ago

The games and neon lights are enough, so no lights on, but overheads are in the room. Great for maint

#23 9 years ago

I use this fixture:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_16272-2120-16065_0__

It is LED, warm white (kind of pinkish), and just the right brightness, even without a dimmer. I've found that it does not get any glare off the playfield glass at all, which was kind of a happy accident.

Sometimes I play with the lights on (usually when other people are over), but usually off.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/quickie-what-type-of-lighting-do-you-use-in-your-pin-area and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.