(Topic ID: 127894)

Quick way to check Williams sys3-7 display glass?

By ForceFlow

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by CNKay
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN7120.JPG
    DSCN7119.JPG
    #1 8 years ago

On Gottlieb displays, you can connect a 9v battery to the outside leads on the glass to do a spot check to see if the filaments light.

Is there a similar spot check or test you can do with Williams system 3-6 displays while outside of a machine?

#2 8 years ago

Plasma ball.

viperrwk

#3 8 years ago
    Quoted from viperrwk:

Plasma ball.
    viperrwk

Really?

Since I don't have one of those things, is there another option?

#4 8 years ago

you can line up the leads to a mounted working display and see if if it lights up. Don't blame me if something bad happens in the process.

#5 8 years ago
    Quoted from viperrwk:

Plasma ball.
    viperrwk

I have plama ball somewhere..... i should find it and see if it really works.

http://www.amazon.com/Plasma-Ball-Inch-Battery-Operated/dp/B00PPFQ08G/ref=sr_1_2

#6 8 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

I have plama ball somewhere..... i should find it and see if it really works.
    amazon.com link »

Hmm...would a USB-powered one even work for this? USB only has a max voltage of 5v.

#7 8 years ago

Input voltage has no bearing, its the output voltage that is kicked up to the high voltage range to make a plasma ball look cool.

Most of them are just 5 or 12v

#8 8 years ago
    Quoted from Patofnaud:

Input voltage has no bearing, its the output voltage that is kicked up to the high voltage range to make a plasma ball look cool.
    Most of them are just 5 or 12v

I thought they used step-up transformers and operated at HV. I guess 5-12v makes more sense. A plastic ball + HV on a consumer product would not be a good idea.

Which reminds me, I have to revive my DIY Tesla coil project at some point. Way too many projects started and never finished....I hate my project shelf right now....

#9 8 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

you can line up the leads to a mounted working display and see if if it lights up. Don't blame me if something bad happens in the process.

This is the alternative for non-mounted glass. Nonetheless the plasma ball is the best solution since you can test both mounted and unmounted displays.

Working 7 digit display tested with plasma ballWorking 7 digit display tested with plasma ball

This is a mounted 7 digit display. I tested this in a RK and it worked fine though the glass needs to be remounted to the board with double sided tape. You can easily see the segments getting excited and if you move the display across the ball you'll see different segments light up.

Non-working 7 digit display tested with plasma ballNon-working 7 digit display tested with plasma ball

This is another display i tested in the same machine with only this display hooked up. I had nothing on the display and you can see the plasma ball does not excite any of the segments.

This is a cheap plasma ball like the one Andrew linked to. Runs off a 12v wall wart. Kids love it too.

viperrwk

#10 8 years ago

I am going to have to find my plasma ball and bust out the box of unknown displays. neat

#11 8 years ago

I just ordered one to test a bunch I have. Great tip! Thanks Viper

#12 8 years ago

Yep, looks like I'm going to have to snag one of those plasma balls at some point. It would sure make sorting through the box of untested displays a bit easier. Thanks for the tip!

#13 8 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Yep, looks like I'm going to have to snag one of those plasma balls at some point

I justified buying it right now cause my 3 year old will get a kick out of it. Doubles as a legit toy for a kid.

3 months later
    #14 8 years ago

I just tried it with some Bally 6 digit displays.

I could not get any segments to light.

I guess a different animal.

#15 8 years ago
    Quoted from CNKay:

I just tried it with some Bally 6 digit displays.
    I could not get any segments to light.
    I guess a different animal.

Same glass is used in both Bally and Williams. Depending on the strength of the Plasma ball and it's batteries you might have to get it really close to get them to light. I have used this technique on Bally, Williams, Zaccaria, Atari, Data East displays as well as small, med and large DMD's. If a segment lights (or usually just the edges around the perimeter of the glass) you usually have a good glass. Nothing showing up is usually a bad glass, but not always.

Not a great toy for a 3 year old. I know this because I have gone through 3 of these globes (and am currently without one) due to my kids wanting to turn it on when I am not home.

#16 8 years ago

would display show anything if held near the other displays
    or held near a plasma tv screen ??? if you dont have a plasma ball

#17 8 years ago

My plasma ball is maybe 4" globe and is corded. It is likely 10 years old. I am getting more confident that the display is junk but like I mentioned I get no segment glow on any of the good glasses so. I guess not all plasma balls work. Just my luck.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/quick-way-to-check-williams-sys3-7-display-glass and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.