Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 53 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by chad
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Turtle-Wax.jpg
    carnuba.jpg
    th-2-181.jpeg
    image.jpg
    There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 9 years ago

Will petroleum distillates damage anything?

Of these three is there one better than the others? TIA.image.jpgimage.jpg

#2 9 years ago

use the mother's 100% carnuba

#3 9 years ago
    Quoted from luch:

use the mother's 100% carnuba

thanks. skipped what they had.

#4 9 years ago

FWIW, there is no Mothers 100% Carnauba. They have a "pure" but it contains other ingredients other than carnauba wax.

#5 9 years ago

I would not use the cleaner/wax. Ends up not being very good at either job.

#6 9 years ago

Do not use that Cleaner Wax. Take it back to the store or Re-Gift it. The Mothers Carnauba paste, is all you should use. The creamer Gold Class has other solvents to make it flow, that you do not need on your playfield.

#7 9 years ago

Another vote for Mothers Pure. I even heat it up sometimes w/a hairdryer and then apply. ; )

#8 9 years ago

I have been researching this myself and it seems most paste waxes have petroleum distillates in them to make them workable including the Meguiars and the Mothers I believe.

I have read on the forum that a lot of people recommend Blitz as being the best, but I can't seem to find any info on whether or not it has petroleum distillates in it. Can anybody shed some light on this?

#9 9 years ago

I really like the blitz wax. This is about all I could find on it.
    http://www.bestcovery.com/one-grand-blitz-carnauba-wax

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from Cash_Riprock:

Another vote for Mothers Pure. I even heat it up sometimes w/a hairdryer and then apply. ; )

That's a good idea. Did my first waxing last week and my Mothers wax was dry and cracked. Ended up getting a lot of small flakes on the playfield which I had to clean off.

#11 9 years ago

"Quick wax question..."

No secha thing, brother.

#12 9 years ago

Don't forget if you heat up the can, you are driving the solvents out quicker.

#13 9 years ago

Been using the Meguiar's gold class in the can for the last few years. Works well and I like it. Just my .02

#14 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Don't forget if you heat up the can, you are driving the solvents out quicker.

No, take a little out at a time. Good to point out though vid!

#15 9 years ago

I only use 1 grand blitz wax.

#16 9 years ago
    Quoted from cody_chunn:

"Quick wax question..."
    No secha thing, brother.

It served my purpose. I walked out empty handed.

#17 9 years ago

As long as you keep it off the plastics and posts, pretty much any wax will work. I like Mother's and Meguire's carnaubas.

#18 9 years ago

P21S...I am amazed at the difference between this product and everything else.

#19 9 years ago

Isn't that mothers a cleaner wax?

#20 9 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

What's the difference between their 100% vs the concours carnauba?

#21 9 years ago

I have been using this and it works just fine. But if someone can verify whether or not Blitz has petroleum distillates in it or not, I might make the switch. I'm sure it is harmless to a clearcoated playfield, but the ball that rolls across the playfield will take the wax with it wherever it goes.

th-2-181.jpegth-2-181.jpeg

#22 9 years ago
    Quoted from Bax1:

What's the difference between their 100% vs the concours carnauba

I dont know offhand, but if I get a chance I can try to find out.

Alex, pinchroma turned me on to this, and one thing I love is no white residue...no worries about plastics or posts...I put on ramps and rails...slick...fast....
    No mess...on and waxed, fast and done...No white flakes to appear..

I have been trying to get them to make small sample jars or sample "towelettes"
    So far, its to much cost for me.

But in fairness, 10 guys and 3-5 choices...we will all see a different answer.

I think there is a reason, its the wax used and supported in the high end car industry.

so its just my 2 cents, because in previous threads like this...global nuclear war has been threatened

#23 9 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I have been using this and it works just fine. But if someone can verify whether or not Blitz has petroleum distillates in it or not, I might make the switch. I'm sure it is harmless to a clearcoated playfield, but the ball that rolls across the playfield will take the wax with it wherever it goes.

th-2-181.jpeg 12 KB

This is also what I settled on for my DW. I've only used once and results were immediate. The pin got more active. I also used Novus 1 and 2 prior to the wax. I searched these threads long and hard before doing such. This is something you'll never get consensus on.

#24 9 years ago

I think I should probably use some on my truck too. It's been a while..

#25 9 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

th-2-181.jpeg 12 KB

Blitz is safe on all plastics, rubber, and metal etc. Also, it has no residue. Best wax I've ever used, incredibly deep shine.

#26 9 years ago

For anyone interested in the facts in regards to petroleum distillates I would suggest the following article.

http://www.protectall.com/artpetdist.aspx

A small excerpt from the article: "Anyone who makes the blanket statement that all products containing petroleum distillates are harmful to car finishes, fiberglass or plastics has no real knowledge of science or petroleum refining."

Sorry, but I'm sick and tired of this "petroleum distillates are evil' mantra. By the way, you do know the majority of your wife's cosmetics include petroleum distillates?

#27 9 years ago

Those are all three decent waxes pictured. I use them all including the Cleaner Wax and have zero problems. Waxing your games regularly makes them look and play awesome. Gold Class and P21s are excellent.

#28 9 years ago

I just heated up 100% pure Carnauba wax in a spoon and applied it on my test PF.
    I used a paintbrush to apply the wax on the pf, then I took a buffer pad to it. The buffer pad did melt the wax, but it also quickly took paint off the pf because of the friction created by the hard wax and the buffer. No bueno!

DO NOT DO THIS!
    Not because it sucked, because it's not easy to explain to your kids when they walk in on you melting an amber substance in a spoon with a torch, what daddy is doing.

I'll go back to using Blitz.

#29 9 years ago

At one time my kid might have given me a hard time for that, but I think now she understands. I thcarnuba.jpgcarnuba.jpgink I might try this.

#30 9 years ago

Any of the auto stores carry Blitz or is it only online or detail specialty shops?

#31 9 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

Any of the auto stores carry Blitz or is it only online or detail specialty shops?

i haven't been able to find it locally, i ordered it online... one can ought to last me about a lifetime...

personally, i like the stuff better than the other waxes i used before, but that could be complete placebo effect...

#32 9 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

Will petroleum distillates damage anything?

If they will, there is a problem because *all* waxes contain petroleum distillates.

No exception.

#33 9 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Alex, pinchroma turned me on to this, and one thing I love is no white residue...no worries about plastics or posts...I put on ramps and rails...slick...fast....
    No mess...on and waxed, fast and done...No white flakes to appear..

This is as important as anything when it comes to choosing a wax for a pin.

And this is reason alone for me to recommend against using Blitz wax. Unless they have changed their formula (which is possible) the Blitz wax that I used many years ago would stain plastic trim on cars if you got some of the wax on it. Blitz wax did not wipe away easily or cleanly compared to many of the better waxes out there. I also found it to be a dirt magnet (the oils would attract dust).

I wouldn't recommend using a wax that stains plastic trim.

#34 9 years ago

Anyone ever use Gerlitz #1 carnauba guitar wax?

#35 9 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

They do, but it's usually behind the counter rather than on the shelf with the other waxes.

You can also get it at places like Pinball Life :

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2589

#36 9 years ago

I have never no one say Blitz was has ever stained anything, on cars or pins. In fact, that's one of their selling points. If you have trouble removing blitz, it's not dry.

#37 9 years ago
    Quoted from Matt_Rasmussen:

I have never no one say Blitz was has ever stained anything, on cars or pins. In fact, that's one of their selling points. If you have trouble removing blitz, it's not dry.

It absolutely 100% stains plastic trim on cars. Or like I said above, at least it used to. I have first hand experience with it doing exactly that. Many other auto detailers report the exact same issue. It is very well known.

Plenty of threads on this, on the auto detailing forums.

A very quick search brought this one up:

http://www.autopia.org/forums/car-detailing/79561-blitz-wax-happened-2.html

Yes, Blitz wax stains plastic trim on cars.

#38 9 years ago

I picked up some mothers pure carnuba. Games play wicked fast.

#39 9 years ago

It stain black trim, how much black trim on a machine that you wax? Anyway, I stick with blitz, best I've used.

#40 9 years ago

It stain black trim, how much black trim on a machine that you wax? Anyway, I stick with blitz, best I've used.

The point is that if it stains black trim on a car it could also stain things like plastics and rubber on a pinball machine. I thought that was obvious.

#41 9 years ago

I use Blitz wax, never an issue. I heat it up before applying, buffs off to a nice shine. I use it on my vehicles as well. Water beads right off after a rain.

#42 9 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

The point is that if it stains black trim on a car it could also stain things like plastics and rubber on a pinball machine. I thought that was obvious.

Wow, it's only wax dude.

#43 9 years ago

I've been using Blitz for almost a decade on many hundreds of games I've owned and serviced (plus all of the playfields I've cleared for clients go out with a coat of Blitz).

It is simply a very long wearing wax.

It has not stained a single playfield, rubber or plastic for me or a client.

On my van, it has not stained the flat black plastic side mirrors.

I obviously don't get wax on the van's textured vinyl bumper trim, because probably any Carnauba wax will leave white haze. I just use Armorall on that.

#44 9 years ago

Wow, it's only wax dude.

You were the one that asked. Dude.

#45 9 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

ive never seen it stain, I have seen it leave white on trim that is textured since its nearly impossible to get out of all those low spots.

#46 9 years ago

I used the Griot's garage wax stick last time and it's definitely holding up; along with 3" random orbital i got for christmas a few years ago:

http://www.autogeek.net/griots-garage-wax-stick.html

#47 9 years ago

i don't waste wax on my cars...

1 month later
    #48 9 years ago

You carnuba shills have converted me--I bought some and my pins play much faster with it than with the old wax I was using. Good tip!

2 weeks later
    #49 9 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Can you buy P21S at stores or on=line only? I've seen several people recommend in on different threads.

#50 9 years ago

I use what Cliffy recommended about 10 years ago...not sure if he still uses it or not, but I do.

I really believe that keeping the area where the ball rolls clean and having balls that are smooth and un-nicked up is at least as important as the brand of wax.

Robert

Turtle-Wax.jpgTurtle-Wax.jpg

There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.