(Topic ID: 150318)

Quick Resistor Question

By deershoot3r

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ohm_(resized).PNG
    #1 8 years ago

Im wiring some LEDs in parallel, 8 to be exact. Im using 12v as the power source and the LEDs need 3.3 volts of power and only use 20mA a piece. Im using a resistor calculator online, just because its a lot faster than I am. The resistor calc says i need a 2 watt resistor, but that doesnt seem right because the LEDs arent putting out but .528 Watts. Did i do my math wrong? Could someone tell me what i should be using or explain why its 2 watts instead of a 1/2 watt or 1 watt resistor?

Any Help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    deershoot3r

#2 8 years ago

I calculated your problem to be only needing 1/8 W resistors. Not sure why you are coming up with 2 watt resistors. Two of the resistors dissipate 37mW, and one dissipates 88mW using this calculator: http://ledcalc.com/

#3 8 years ago

I got the same answer too, using "the guru" calculator, but im trying to use parallel instead because of a single resistor not multiple.

#4 8 years ago

I'm getting 1392mW at ~56Ω but not sure i'm doing it correct.

ohm_(resized).PNGohm_(resized).PNG

#5 8 years ago
    Quoted from zaza:

I'm getting 1392mW at ~56Ω but not sure i'm doing it correct.

That is correct, and then a *safe* resistor wattage to use for 1.3W would be 2.5W

Have you thought about using an LED driver device instead of a big resistor?

#6 8 years ago

You are better off using one lower power resistor per LED rather than one higher powered one for reasons detailed in this thread:

http://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/22291/why-exactly-cant-a-single-resistor-be-used-for-many-parallel-leds

So in your case

RLED = (12-3.3)/.020 = 435 nearest preferred value is 432R 1% or 430R 5%

Power dissipated in each resistor
    P = I^2R = .173W so use a 432R resistor rated at 1/4W or more

#7 8 years ago

@woz okay i like that, thats how i wired another project up so im just gonna use that method, thanks everyone for their help!!

#8 8 years ago

Alright ive added up the value of a different LED, make sure i have this right, this LED only needs 2.3 volts of power instead of 3.3, Voltage stays at 12, and amps stay at 0.020
    so if
    R=(12-2.3)/0.020= 485
    and P = I^2R = 0.194

Then i should i User a higher resistor like a 487ohm 1/4 watt 1% tolerence or should i try to stay lower than the resistance above?

#9 8 years ago

Stay with the higher.

#10 8 years ago

Thank you sir! (or maam)

#11 8 years ago

If you put three LEDs in series you won't have to burn off as much voltage in the resistors.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/quick-resistor-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.