By Incomer

3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

I have a relay coil which is damaged
It is 100 Ohms KK-332 and is used in the hole kicker relay
I don't have one of these in my spares and they are not listed as available anywhere
I have plenty of 85 Ohm KK-331 coils and a 116 Ohm KK-3312 in my spares which look as though they would fit
Which of those would you use (assuming at least one will do the job) and why? (I'm looking to understand the impact of the higher or lower resistance)
Many thanks
David

#2 3 years ago

I would pay the $10 and shipping and get the correct coil.

#3 3 years ago

Coils with lower resistance will be stronger, draw more current and run hotter than coils with higher resistance. If you have to pick between the two I'd start with the higher resistance coil. If it does the job there's no need for more power or heat.

More detail at https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/removing-windings-from-em-solenoids

/Mark

#4 3 years ago

MarkG that's very helpful, thank you. And I read your detailed post and found it thought provoking

currieddog if you can tell me where I can buy one I would be delighted to do so.
I'd already checked out PBR, Marco, Flippers.com and our European suppliers before I posted so I'd need to find a different supplier

#5 3 years ago

Yeah you could take some windings off the 116 if it turns out to be too weak, no big deal. But make sure it will physically fit in the relay to begin with, they aren't all the same size.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/quick-relay-coil-substitution-question-bally-minizag?hl=currieddog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.