(Topic ID: 192973)

Quick Question regarding SYS 11 issue...

By chinosts

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by chinosts
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

I recently bought a Williams Big Guns and have been troubleshooting an issue with the outer left lane kicker which does not function as designed. I've determined that the signal coming from J18 into pin 5 of the 7402 is always 'high'.. I feel like a bit of a noob but I am not sure where the signal off pin 3 on JP18 is coming from. I know the outer lane kicker on this machine is a 'Special Solenoid' meaning its not CPU controlled. Does this mean that the signal is coming directly from the AUX power board? I'm trying to work out what to diagnose next and am a bit lost right now...

Cheers for the help!

#2 6 years ago

OK some more investigation.. (me just looking at the game and tracing J18 rather than looking at schematics!) It looks like JP18 goes down into the playfield.. I guess this means I have a wiring issue somewhere... If this is true.. Any ideas where I should look first?

The solenoid energizes perfectly when I put 5+ on pin 4 of the 7402 IC (NOR output). It also energizes when I ground the Tip122 and the 2N4401..

When I disconnect JP18 and do a coil test, the outlane kicker coil energizes on some of the tests.

I think I have conclusively proven the issue is that pin 5 on JP18 is always high therefore never meeting the NOR condition to energize the coil in normal circumstances.

Any help on the best way to find what is next to check under the playfield or someplace else would be hugely appreciated!

Cheers

#3 6 years ago

There is a switch to control this coil and the switch connects ground from the pf back thru the aux ps and then to the CPU to the nor input. Start by checking for a ground at the switch and see if the ground is passed thru the switch when pressed. Then check for the ground going in and out of the aux ps and then back to the CPU.

#4 6 years ago

I would check all connectors, and check the coil. It could be marginal.

rd

#5 6 years ago

Do you think this could be caused by a faulty diode? I've discovered several dead ones on my Aux PS board. @rotodave GRUMPY

#6 6 years ago

An open diode will allow voltage spikes to travel around many boards and may cause strange things to happen or damage some items. A shorted diode will allow a higher current draw thru a transistor that it was not designed for which will damage it. Post a pic of the lane switch which controls the coil in question.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from chinosts:

I recently bought a Williams Big Guns and have been troubleshooting an issue with the outer left lane kicker which does not function as designed

"Not function as designed" ... what's that mean?

Does it work at all?

rd

#8 6 years ago

Sorry @rotodave I was getting lazy with my description of the issue as I had already gone through a lengthy description on another thread.. basically the solenoid energizes when I ground it directly at the lugs and when I put 5v directly onto the 7402 pin output of the NOR gate. From what I can tell there is always a high signal coming from J18 into the NOR gate meaning it never resolves true which therefore never triggers the coil correctly. I am hoping the open diode on the Aux power board is the issue but I am not hold my breath. I am picking up some replacement diodes tomorrow morning so I will let you know how it goes after I replace the faulty part. Any additional ideas would be greatly appreciated.

cheers.

#9 6 years ago

You didn't really answer the question.

What happens when you push the lane switch? Nothing?

Is it a switch issue? Have you replaced the switch and diode?

rd

#10 6 years ago

@rotodave sorry again matey no the solenoid doesn't fire when the lane switch is it. It plays the drain sound and flashes lights but the solenoid doesn't move. It also doesn't move when I do the coil test.

Thanks again for your help.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/quick-question-regarding-sys-11-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.