Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by pinheadpierre
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

Can someone please tell me what the coating on my Comet Playfield is? Is there a clear coat on it? I would like to work on cleaning it, btu I don't want to strip off all the paint. Just the wax and dirt.

#2 1 year ago
Quoted from comictommy:

Can someone please tell me what the coating on my Comet Playfield is? Is there a clear coat on it? I would like to work on cleaning it, btu I don't want to strip off all the paint. Just the wax and dirt.

Most were not Diamond Plate, at least mine wasn't.
Be careful cleaning it. I had heavy dirt to remove with a Magic Eraser and it was very easy to get to the paint.

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from comictommy:

There could be mylar, or just a thin topcoat of transparent paint from the factory.

Quoted from Fulltilt:

Most were not Diamond Plate, at least mine wasn't.
Be careful cleaning it. I had heavy dirt to remove with a Magic Eraser and it was very easy to get to the paint.

I don't think any games that early had diamond plate yet

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from zacaj:

I don't think any games that early had diamond plate yet

Funhouse was the first Diamond Plate I remember seeing.

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

Funhouse was the first Diamond Plate I remember seeing.

I've seen a diamondplate Whirlwind, think I've heard about Banzai Run, Diner, Earthshaker maybe?

#6 1 year ago

Whatever the formulation name, the clear on Comets is toast. Most have (or had) factory mylar on the lower playfield. The upper was not protected by mylar and is usually very planked along with unprotected areas on the lower pf. Magic eraser will help with the dirt but will probably also remove a significant bit if not all of the old clear. Unless you are going to put a hardtop on or clear it, just give it a soft rag cleaning with naptha followed by a light coat of non- silicone paste carnuba wax like Blitz.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Houston, TX
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 74.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 84.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 7.00
$ 209.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 109.99
$ 999.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside