(Topic ID: 176689)

Quick Poll - Selling off machines - fairest method - Lottery or First

By too-many-pins

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Quick Poll - Selling off machines - fairest method - Lottery or First”

• Some type of Lottery system 44 votes
      29%
    • First email gets it 47 votes
      31%
    • Offer each as best offer before a time and date 50 votes
      33%
    • OTHER - and if you pick other put up a post & explain 12 votes
      8%

(153 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2417 (resized).JPG

This topic is closed.

There are 84 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 7 years ago
    Quoted from gac:

If I were the seller, I wouldn't go anywhere near eBay. Their fees will kill it for you. Just my 2 cents.

eBay has gotten over a quarter of a million dollars off me in the past 18 (or so) years. They get money from my pinball parts & other stuff we sell but I am not going to give them 10% from these machines. In most cases that will be more than I am making on most machines!

Don't get me wrong eBay has been a great venue for me and that is where my wife & I have made most of my income for the past 15 years. eBay is great for some things but at 9 or 10% (plus Paypal fees if you use Paypal) on big sales they just get too much money. If they would cap their fees on big ticket items at $50 or something rational I wouldn't mind using eBay more but $180 to sell a $2000 pinball machine is excessive in my eyes.

#52 7 years ago
    Quoted from tonycip:

And hope That the people who can only afford 1-2 pins ( me included )

Nice meager collection, you poor soul

WOZ, Addams, Monster Bash, etc!

#53 7 years ago

I sort of like the " list 15 pins here, post pics once, set your nonnegotiable price" wash, rinse, repeat until gone. The fee you would pay here is way less than eBay, gives everyone a shot, and most likely your buyers are pretty legit ( compared to eBay CL stalkers). Just make sure the price is good for YOU.

After you run through the lot, call the truck guys for a bulk sale to end.

There will be hassles regardless...good luck, and hope you accomplish your goal.....

#54 7 years ago
    Quoted from Agent_Hero:

Nice meager collection, you poor soul
    WOZ, Addams, Monster Bash, etc!

Exactly.that's why I'm broke I need some reasonable price machines for a change.

#55 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

But yet, it would help deter flipping by some people.
    OP is looking for ways to ensure people don't grab games just to resell for more money.

Not his concern what anyone does with the game. Someone can buy it and burn it. Would be a bummer, but not his concern at all.

Looks like he stated that above as well

#56 7 years ago
    Quoted from jrivelli:

Not his concern what anyone does with the game. Someone can buy it and burn it. Would be a bummer, but not his concern at all.
    Looks like he stated that above as well

yeah, also stated that he is putting measures in place to limit games to a single person. That is good.

Either way, I am guessing distance really outs you out of the option. Maybe he should do it based on distance traveled? That would show some major dedication to drive all the way from Oregon

#57 7 years ago
    Quoted from patrickvc:

why can't stuff like this happen on the west coast?

We're all a bunch of hoarders out here

#58 7 years ago

Holy crap, you paid eBay $250k in fees over the past 18 years! So you have sold close to five millions dollars worth of stuff? These two threads just keeping getting more and more interesting!

#59 7 years ago

Fair way to settle the question of who wants it most:

#60 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pinsrgrt:

Holy crap, you paid eBay $250k in fees over the past 18 years! So you have sold close to five millions dollars worth of stuff? These two threads just keeping getting more and more interesting!

About 30 years ago I had a landscaping business and mess up my back in a big way. After selling that I needed to find something I could do that I didn't have to sit or stand for long periods of time because of my back and I discovered antique auctions & antique malls. So I started going to auctions on a regular bases and then rented spaces in antique mall to sell the stuff I was buying. At the same time - since I was new to that business - I started buying reference books about antiques & collectibles to learn more.

One thing lead to another and the next thing you know I was buying skids of returns & overstock from the published and selling them on eBay & Amazon. Business was great for about 10 years then after Sept 11th people stopped collecting and my books stopped selling. At the peak I was selling over a 1/4 of a million dollars in books a year on eBay plus selling books at shows & other venues. Life was good and I semi retired when I was 51 years old. These days I am happy to have lunch money but I am having fun living life and doing what I enjoy. Life is about more than money!

And your math is a little off - eBay gets about 10% of your gross sales plus other hidden fees (like monthly store fees and listing fees) so during my "best years" they were getting about 25k to 30k from me. Another issue with your thinking - I know it sounds like a ton of money but that is off the gross. My net profit was typically under $40,000 a year after expenses (less than most people working normal jobs). Add up what you have made in 18 years - the numbers will surprise you.

But somehow these post keep getting derailed by people who are questioning things I have said instead of helping me try to figure out the best way to get these machines sold. What difference is it to anyone how I made my living?

As far as the voting: At this point it is looking like all of the above is the best answer. So that will likely be the approach I will be taking - time will tell.

#61 7 years ago

The first thing you should do is start a thread about how to sell a bunch of pinball machines, maximize profit and avoid eBay even though that is how you made the bulk of your income over the last 15 years. Excellent marketing idea.

Secondly, to say it goes to pick up buyers first is a big mistake as you know. Not even interested in getting into that pricing debate. Let's try and sell it for top dollar locally first and then if it doesn't sell I'll take less? Not a good idea. Put it up for sale across the board or don't.

Finally, just make a decision and start listing. Good luck.

#62 7 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

The first thing you should do is start a thread about how to sell a bunch of pinball machines, maximize profit and avoid eBay even though that is how you made the bulk of your income over the last 15 years. Excellent marketing idea.
    Secondly, to say it goes to pick up buyers first is a big mistake as you know. Not even interested in getting into that pricing debate. Let's try and sell it for top dollar locally first and then if it doesn't sell I'll take less? Not a good idea. Put it up for sale across the board or don't.
    Finally, just make a decision and start listing. Good luck.

My thoughts with both this post and my other post was to get as much input as I could and then weigh all of that input and make a educated decision. I'll have over a week during this Holiday break to figure it all out and then on 1/5/17 at around 7 PM the fun will begin.

To me eBay is great for high volume low price items like my price guides about antiques when I was doing that or for something like the pinball parts I have been doing over the past couple years. But once you get into bigger ticket items eBay is just too expensive to consider!

As far as local buyers and or not restricting it and to be willing to ship. I wouldn't have an issue with shipping but I just don't know how I could even consider that right now with my need for space quickly. One of my main reasons for selling off a lot of machines is to make room for stuff coming in without renting additional storage. With everything else I have going on cash and carry is the only thing I can consider short term. MAYBE once I get enough sold off to have some space shipping would work but for now I can't even consider that.

As far as "top dollar first then take less if it doesn't sell" - NOTHING will be sold at reduced prices. Anything that doesn't sell at my listed price will either be put back into storage and repaired as I have time or sold off in lots once some of the single machines are sold. Selling even 25% of my inventory SHOULD give me the space & funds I need for the rest of this warehouse deal. Once I have that space I will be in no hurry to sell off more machines anyway. If I can't sell off 25% I already have additional investors in place to fund the rest and I can always rent additional storage units as necessary until the Allentown show.

Hope this makes everything clear!

Time to enjoy Christmas and play a little pinball for a change! My wife just got done watching "It's A Wonderful Life" and that is how I truly feel about life. I know I am blessed with a good many great friends and a great family. And after all that is all that really matters.

#63 7 years ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

As far as "top dollar first then take less if it doesn't sell" - NOTHING will be sold at reduced prices. Anything that doesn't sell at my listed price will either be put back into storage and repaired as I have time or sold off in lots once some of the single machines are sold.

Ok then. Good luck with that strategy

Just list it like you want, is that clear enough, who cares, wtf?

#64 7 years ago

much easier to buy than sell.

#65 7 years ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

NOTHING will be sold at reduced prices. Anything that doesn't sell at my listed price will either be put back into storage and repaired as I have time or sold off in lots once some of the single machines are sold.

So you're trying to cut out the middleman (ebay) who's allowed you to be semi retired since you were 51 years old. You'd rather sell for ebay prices and NOT pay the ebay fees. That's absolute genius... if you can pull it off.

This will be fun to watch. Is there a timeline?

#66 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

yeah, also stated that he is putting measures in place to limit games to a single person. That is good.
    Either way, I am guessing distance really outs you out of the option. Maybe he should do it based on distance traveled? That would show some major dedication to drive all the way from Oregon

Oh I'm not interested in any of these games. They will be top dollar and in need of loads of repair. I don't have the time for anything like that. Not my Era of games either it looks like. It doesn't sound like any of the pins at their selling prices would be worth driving too far for unless it's some grail.

#67 7 years ago

Your never going to make everyone happy. "Fair" means too many different things to different people. Do what you are comfortable with and the heck with it. If I were in your position? I have no clue what I'd do!
    An auction is the best way to move volume fast. But that doesn't help with your wanting to get them to as many people as possible.

Good luck!

I'm kind of seeing posts in a couple of threads of people I wouldn't ever want to sell to. I also agree, money isn't everything. I've been dead broke and refused to sell items to a few guys who were arrogant with a pocket full of money. Stupid or twisted on my part? I don't know and don't care!

#68 7 years ago
    Quoted from Joker2415:

Your never going to make everyone happy. "Fair" means too many different things to different people. Do what you are comfortable with and the heck with it. If I were in your position? I have no clue what I'd do!
    An auction is the best way to move volume fast. But that doesn't help with your wanting to get them to as many people as possible.
    Good luck!
    I'm kind of seeing posts in a couple of threads of people I wouldn't ever want to sell to. I also agree, money isn't everything. I've been dead broke and refused to sell items to a few guys who were arrogant with a pocket full of money. Stupid or twisted on my part? I don't know and don't care!

Concur completely on this sentiment. Other people's opinions really don't matter as regards to how these get sold (my own included). Sellers has lots of options, some more a hassle for them than others. Nobody should fault for whatever choice is made (but they will anyway because people love to hear themselves complain).

If I had this collection my main thing would be to make sure I sold to people who weren't just going to wipe down the playfield and post at 2X the price. I shouldn't really care about that, money is money, but I do somehow. Main way that's avoided is making it so that prices leave little margin on open market for flippers.

There are lots of machines I would be interested on Craigslist and EBay if they posted them at non ridiculous prices.

As others have posted the approach is admirable. Arriving at a solution that doesn't allow someone to game the system and allows many to partake of this collection is difficult.

Good luck.

#69 7 years ago

Just kind of thought of something else....And maybe this has already been mentioned. Have you thought about potential problems of having this many different people showing up at your house? Not to be the doom and gloom paranoid guy, but man It would be in the back of my mind for sure! I've dealt with semi valuable items in the past and people will do some crazy things just to see where "the hoard" is. It's more common than people think. Maybe, not with pinballs since they are so big. Kinda hard to sneak one of those off...

#70 7 years ago

This whole thread is your marketing strategy to create some attention and hopefully speed up the sale of some machines in my opinion.

#71 7 years ago

Auction, High bid wins . That way you get max price , Quick 3 day auctions . you can do it in many ways . pick one

GLWS

Sir Brian of Ortonville

#72 7 years ago

Here's an out there thought....And maybe already mentioned...I have no clue what shipping is on a machine. But how about a raffle on a couple machines? Doesn't matter condition, even if they are project machines, what era, etc.... I'm not sure if the interest would be there or not though. But I look at it this way, Your wanting to reach as many people as you can that may not have deep pockets. But most any one would kick $30 or $40 towards a raffle ticket. If the numbers work out? a percentage gets donated to pinside, pays for shipping, and maybe would even be a mystery machine and mystery condition. I'd take the chance! I'd bet others would too. You may even make more that way on a few while just shipping them off. No waiting, money's already in hand, etc...You would have to play with numbers a little and based on your pm and thread interest, would probably be a good indicator of possible ticket sales etc...

You could even do good machines. Not sure how you would do that to protect your end if there weren't enough ticket sales. But a few machines may even get you way way more than you wanted and someone would get one heck of a deal! By reading your threads I would feel your honest enough to do a random drawing. The cheaper machines would be better though. I, or maybe a bunch of us would be thrilled to get any kind of project on a $20 to $40 chance,or whatever amount works that covers you,shipping,a donation, based on the value of the machine . Maybe even some of the stuff that no one wants from the lists. You have one left at the end of the week? It goes up for the weeks raffle. or something, the idea would need tuned and played with....... Right now I have 3 huge projects so I shouldn't be talking! 2 of them should have been parted. But I'll save them and bring them back from the dead , slowly!!! So, maybe I'm in a small portion of the pinball community? I'm happy getting junk as long as it's somewhat all there, even though a couple I way over paid for were missing more than they are worth in the end, but I wanted them!!! I like working on them and seeing how far from the dead I can bring it back.

Just an out there thought. I know it doesn't solve your problem and something like this may even add more to it. Would be kind of a fun side thing though! Randomly pick the person from the raffle and randomly pick a machine from the price range would be fun too!

#73 7 years ago
    Quoted from tonycip:

Oh so you want to get a bunch and flip em .I get it . you want to help out the Canada pinball people, but doing it at the expense of the US pinball people.

Funny you should say that - US pinball people have been draining out games from Canada for decades because of the 25% discount our dollar provides, so turnabout is only fair play.

As for "flipping," I doubt the prices will be so good as to do more than cover my gas costs. It's more about finding actual project machines, instead of fully restored games. So many people up here enjoy fixing, but everything is already fixed!

#74 7 years ago

Just post the games for sale already. It's really not that complicated (at least it doesn't have to be)

#75 7 years ago
    Quoted from SilverBallz:

Just post the games for sale already. It's really not that complicated (at least it doesn't have to be)

Really, such drama never before seen.

#76 7 years ago

No Drama - jus trying to figure out the "best" way to keep as many people as possible happy. Since vote is about dead even I'll likely use all 3 methods I posted in the poll as well as a couple others. Typing from the motel this morning waiting to pick up another load of machines - half for me and half to share with the pinside community. This load is coming from the west - not the south and the ones I will be keeping are parts machines. This trip was more about picking up parts machines that picking up projects but by the looks of things it will be a 50/50 mix

#77 7 years ago

No offense, but you really sound clueless. If you price the games at a price less than market, you would have no issues as there would be buyers like me that would swoop in with $10k+ and buy several games at once. I will bring the pins back to Northern New England, keep half and sell the rest for a small profit to cover my costs. This would save a lot of people time and money and get pins into more collectors hands. Instead you are suggesting a ridiculous scenario of a hundred pinheads individually going down to pick up their games......Please just put the games for sale and end this drama. Sorry if I sound like a jerk, but if you could only see your posts through my eyes, you would say, "Who does this guy think he is, the Jesus of pinball?"

#78 7 years ago

You could have a craigslist auction like this guy is about to. harrisburg.craigslist.org link

#79 7 years ago
    Quoted from thedarkknight77:

Sorry if I sound like a jerk, but if you could only see your posts through my eyes, you would say, "Who does this guy think he is, the Jesus of pinball?"

It's funny, as most of your posts read that way. No offense.

#80 7 years ago
    Quoted from d0n:

You could have a craigslist auction like this guy is about to. harrisburg.craigslist.org link

Pretty sure that IS the guy in this thread, no?

#81 7 years ago
    Quoted from Cornelius:

Pretty sure that IS the guy in this thread, no?

Selling one at at time on Craigslist? Sounds like a lot of work, but it should bring in every possible penny.

#82 7 years ago

Where is the "attention whore" siren for yet ANOTHER post regarding these damn games. Please, mods, can you shut this down and tell the OP what the rules of selling games are on Pinside or shall we call it "TooManyPinside"?

#83 7 years ago
    Quoted from robotron911:

Where is the "attention whore" siren for yet ANOTHER post regarding these damn games. Please, mods, can you shut this down and tell the OP what the rules of selling games are on Pinside or shall we call it "TooManyPinside"?

Mods, can you please consider making a rule for this? This guy should have had his threads closed after he whined to have his first fs thread closed.

#84 7 years ago

This has been a very clever well planned out marketing tactic. The only thing I can give OP credit for.

There are 84 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/quick-poll-selling-off-machines-fairest-method-lottery-or-first/page/2?hl=pinsrgrt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.