(Topic ID: 176689)

Quick Poll - Selling off machines - fairest method - Lottery or First

By too-many-pins

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Quick Poll - Selling off machines - fairest method - Lottery or First”

• Some type of Lottery system 44 votes
      29%
    • First email gets it 47 votes
      31%
    • Offer each as best offer before a time and date 50 votes
      33%
    • OTHER - and if you pick other put up a post & explain 12 votes
      8%

(153 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2417 (resized).JPG

This topic is closed.

There are 84 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 7 years ago

I am sure a good many of you have looked at my other warehouse find post but if not the story is - I need to sell off close to 100 machines in 2017. Trying to be as "fair as possible" I am trying to figure out the best method for picking who gets a title if several people email about the same title. So I am putting a poll up here seeing what others think?

Just a quick side note - I am trying to do this in a timely manor with limited space.

#2 7 years ago

I would suggest the fairest way is to ensure you take enough pictures so that a potential buyer can form an opinion and then take a non-refundable deposit as a show of good faith. Money down or the sale isn't a sale? Any other method seems to make things drag unnecessarily and this way, it is clear to all parties? Balance on pick-up or prior to any shipping. Just my 2c.....

#3 7 years ago

I think you are worrying a bit too much about all of this. It's 4 AM - where's the "go the hell (back) to bed!" option?

Anyways: First come first serve. It is the original way, and the usual way. Be a decent guy and hold machines for those who express legitimate serious interest in buying at said price (not just in the machine before they know the price), or take deposits that count towards the machine's cost.

#4 7 years ago

Personally, I think you made a mistake by announcing it ahead of time.

Now there is a feeding frenzy forming and no doubt somebody is going to get their panties in a twist when they miss out.

Best way forward ... take decent pictures of each pin, and do a classified ad for each one with your price. First in, best dressed. This will take a bit longer to do, but I'm sure it'll work out better for you in the long run.

Make sure to stress the fact that they are projects as people seem to forget that stuff down the track when things don't work. People have short memories ...

Good luck with the process, and I hope it all works out well for you at the end of it all!

rd

#5 7 years ago

Don't hold without money. Too many people say they will show up and never do.

#6 7 years ago

I realize you probably didn't realize the frenzy this has created by posting your announcement prior to you actually starting this mass sale, but I bet you wish you could go back and erase it like it was never posted. Anyhow, if it were me, I'd seriously now run it like a garage sale. Announce a date and time at you garage, put a price tag on each one. Limit one machine per customer to satisfy your desire for the machines to go to as many people as possible. Price them at market value. Run one each month until they're all sold. No room for negotiation.

Hire security as well, from all the posts I've read, there will be a lot of vultures there

#7 7 years ago

Actually, this idea I had might nowt go so well, it might end up looking like a scene at Wal Mart on Black Friday. OP, I wish you the best, what your trying to do is awesome for the Pinball community. You seem like a great guy, an awesome seller to deal with. I've met you at a few shows and I thought the same about you before all of this.

#8 7 years ago

sent you a pm
    searching for a new local beer cades stock

#9 7 years ago

Pictures, price, deposit, time to pickup.

#10 7 years ago

I get that everybody's trying to get a deal at your expense, but I think your best bet is to run it ad an auction. That's what auctions are for, to get rid of a large amount of assets in a way that's fair for all parties. The act of selling off this much inventory into a particular region will help the little guy due to increased supply for pins bringing down prices.

#11 7 years ago

A well planned action on a three day weekend would provide both you and buyer the closure you desire. This would allow travel time for those outside your area. Or maybe do it on a friday late before the pinball show near you in June.

#12 7 years ago

Very simple and clean, do 3 day eBay auctions for each group you bring back and make picked required within days days after auction close, no exceptions!

#14 7 years ago

Too many pins admits he always pays too much for games.

What happens during the big game show reveal when it turns out there aren't really any bargains to be had here?

#15 7 years ago

First come,first serve.
    That was easy

#17 7 years ago

Easiest thing to do is eBay them all if you want to keep your sanity!

#18 7 years ago

First to pay is first to play.

#19 7 years ago
    Quoted from Gnatty:

I realize you probably didn't realize the frenzy this has created by posting your announcement prior to you actually starting this mass sale, but I bet you wish you could go back and erase it like it was never posted. Anyhow, if it were me, I'd seriously now run it like a garage sale. Announce a date and time at you garage, put a price tag on each one. Limit one machine per customer to satisfy your desire for the machines to go to as many people as possible. Price them at market value. Run one each month until they're all sold. No room for negotiation.
    Hire security as well, from all the posts I've read, there will be a lot of vultures there

How about the people that can't be there in person? I for one would love to be there but my job and funds will not allow it. I would love to have one but the people with loads of cash will ruin it for us little guys.

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from codered9394:

How about the people that can't be there in person? I for one would love to be there but my job and funds will not allow it. I would love to have one but the people with loads of cash will ruin it for us little guys.

You build relationships with people in the hobby. Make yourself known as a positive force in the pinball community. Prioritize your financial habits so you have funds for pinball.

Deals come to you if you do those things. If you're only using CL, Ebay, and competing with the general public for deals you're missing a big part of the fun.

#21 7 years ago

Fairest method is whatever YOU decide. This is your haul....you set the terms. This is not about everyone else's feelings.

#22 7 years ago

Guys - Thanks for all the feedback so far - keep it coming!

I have been getting a lot of PM's suggesting I put prices high enough to slow the feeding frenzy and also a lot of PM suggestion I do what is best for me. But the majority of the PM's I have been getting is from guys wanting to buy bigger lots of machines and picking up a truckload all in one shot.

Not to sidetrack this thread but I think my plan will have all that covered. And to be honest what is best for me is doing what is best for the pinball community. I feel very blessed to have two great kids and two great daughter-in-laws but even more blessed for having a wife that has put up with my insanity for over 40 years and to be in decent health after all I have put my body through over the years. So regardless of what happens with this deal or anything pinball related life has been good for me and if I died tomorrow I would go out with NO REGRETS!

I'll announce more with my overall plan as time gets closer but I can reassure everyone interested I will try my best to work with them. For now shipping will be an issue but depending on price & title as well as interested parties location I might even be able to figure some of that out. But at this point people who can do local pickup within a couple days is my target.

#23 7 years ago

why can't stuff like this happen on the west coast?

#24 7 years ago

Hi All,

It is my opinion that the first order of business is to create a written list for all to see. Included in this list would be general condition of machine (complete, working or not if known, general aesthetic condition and a firm fair price) You are kind enough to allow those of us on this site to take part in your great find so as long as the price is fair, make it firm.

I would then advise when I would post the list of machines that are available. Once that list is posted the first person who contacts you on a certain game would have first rights to the game. You are obviously a trusted member of this site so there should not be any issues with description not being accurate. I feel as though if at this point someone agrees to purchase the game, a non-refundable deposit should be required via Paypal. NON REFUNDABLE. A time is agreed on to pick up the game and if that time is missed, the game becomes available to another, period. The only caveat would be a valid reason for not keeping the date (weather, death etc.) As long as the rules of the sale are posted in advance, there can be no valid bickering although I am reasonably sure there still would be.

The drawback to the aforementioned is that it is not necessarily a quick process. Not sure how to speed things up yet keep fair etc as you wish to be.

The other option that comes to mind is to have all the machines in a warehouse or similar, advertise the date that the sale will occur and sell them on that date. You would most likely need help for this option to deal with the numbers of folks who would show up. Anyone arguing, bickering or causing any kind of stink is asked to leave immediately.

My .02 worth. Hope that some of the content is helpful! Good luck.

Last thought, by implementing the second option that I have detailed, it would afford folks who are a distance away to make plans to be at your sight and you may have a considerably higher sales rate in a smaller amount of time which sound like what you wish.

G

#25 7 years ago

Maybe there are fellow pinside members who live close enough to you that may not be necessarily interested in buying but would be willing to help in the selling process. Maybe it is "our" turn to help you as you have offered us??

#26 7 years ago

I thought I read initially that your goal was to get these machines out in to the hands of players. Not flippers, not hoarders, not beercades, all of which are just looking to make a profit either now or down the road.... but just out to the little guy who wanted a pin for his basement, or maybe a 4th or 5th pin to add to his playing collection.

If that is truly your goal and you're not out to make a huge profit, then selling truckloads to anyone will only have a negative effect on the hobby IMHO. No single collector is looking to buy a truckload. Only reason to buy a truckload is to flip them at a profit, hoard them, or put in a new beercade as mentioned above.

I hope this process goes well for you, as you seem like an honestly nice guy based on your posts. Personally, if a lottery system is held at fair prices, I will throw my hat in the ring and be willing to drive several (multiple several) hours for a couple of the right machines to help fill out my man cave. Bought one of my last machines in Nashville, TN at a fair price and drove it back to Minnesota, so PA is right down that same alley. I would be just fine not getting any as long as they don't fall in the hands of the 3 groups I already mentioned.

Best of luck to you... get rest, eat well, enjoy the holidays and family and do what makes you feel good about your life as we are all here for such a short time.

#27 7 years ago

I would ebay them with a 3 day auction on each. No reserve and a 1 dollar starting price. You'll get your best price this way.

#28 7 years ago

Doing a garage sale means a lot of people who night otherwise have made the trip won't, as they're not guaranteed to have a game waiting for them.

A lottery isn't standard but it is pretty fair. Give everyone a few days to put their hats in on any game, if they don't give a deposit within 24 hours the next choice gets it. That way you can easily impose a max of one or two games per person, and the games aren't going to all just go to whoever was online at the moment

#29 7 years ago

Ebay and start at $1
    Fair for everybody

#30 7 years ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

And to be honest what is best for me is doing what is best for the pinball community.

It seems like you have a genuine internal turmoil with trying to figure out the 'right' way to do this to help out the community.

First off there is really no 'right' or wrong way, but there are some things I would do if I were in your same shoes and my main motive was to get these projects into as many hands as possible for fair prices and ensure they actually get brought back to life.

1. I would not be selling anything greater than a lot of 3 to any single person. You have obviously gotten lots of response from the retailer types that are going to try and convince you to fill a truckload and they are all about greed and dollars so you have to avoid those guys. Most of them are well known but some are not. By limiting purchases to 3 at most per person you will weed out these people.

2. It will take more time and effort to do what you want, but I would suggest loading up as many photos as you can of each game with the best description you can. I would put this ALL into a google doc spreadsheet. It is too unwieldy to be dealing with mutliple ads on pinside and hundreds or responses in threads combined with thousands of PMS. You want to streamline your effort, so having a google doc with individual line items and links to each set of game photos will allow you to control stuff and keep it organized. Make sure you are the only one with edit rights, but then you can make the link to the google doc live when you see fit.
    Basically a bit more up front leg work will help save you lots of time and headache on the back end.

3. State your expectations clearly. For example:
    -These are the only photos you will be taking so buyers need to make their decision based on that
    -Prices are FIRM. Dont ask to negotiate! Period or your email will be put in the do not sell to bin.
    -Deals are $100 off each game for buying up to 3 at one time.
    -Deposit must be sent of $250 non-refundable via paypal friends and family within 4 hrs of being told you get the game
    -Games must be picked up within 7 days. If you dont show then you lose your deposit.
    -Email title MUST contain the name of the game you want. Contents of email must contain... Basically make it simple on yourself to weed through emails.

4. How to pick whom to sell to? That is honestly tough if you are striving for fair. There will be no 'fair' way. No matter what you come up with, someone will always feels slighted if they miss a deal. I think first to email is as good a way as any. If you limit to 1 purchase (of up to 3 games) then it may help by limiting peoples response. For example, if you list them in lots of 15 at a time, then maybe I will hold off on emailing for something in the first lot in hopes that something in the second lot may be of greater interest to me. That said, you are limiting your geographical audience if you don't publish a nearly complete list of titles and lots at the start. For example, can I really afford the time and gas money to drive down for a single game? unlikely.... For 3 games, then all of a sudden you will be spreading the wealth out much further as people can justify the drive.

5. Publish ALL games, sales prices, and names of buyers publicly and request that nobody resell any game until it is brought back to life. The public alone will help regulate this. You wont prevent all, but you will prevent many from just trying to hussle/lie to you for a quick buck. It will also be cool to see whom got what and then hopefully spawn some cool threads on here for how they are bringing them back to life. I know if I get a game I want then I would be happy to document its return to greatness.

6. Good luck! I agree with rotordave that you may have jumped the gun a bit with these threads, but I also understand your desire to give people a heads up at the holiday season with funny money funds.

#31 7 years ago

I'd let the market decide so it's open to everyone. Maybe instead of Ebay or local auction list each one here (10 at a time) with a individual listing for each one with thread and 15 day span(40-50 pics per pin) and may the best offer win. Offers must be made via public thread and not PM to keep things transparent. You could also have a viewing period during the 15 day listing for those wanting to make the drive. All pins must be paid for a picked up within 20 days or second highest offer gets. A nice donation for each pin sold to Pinside and maybe some CL adds mentioning the pins and where they are listed(not sure if this is allowed on CL).

This allows everyone a fair shot to buy and rewards Pinside and players. I would not give the entire list out...Maybe include several hot titles in each lot of 15 and keep at a measured controlled pace

#32 7 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

You build relationships with people in the hobby. Make yourself known as a positive force in the pinball community. Prioritize your financial habits so you have funds for pinball.
    Deals come to you if you do those things. If you're only using CL, Ebay, and competing with the general public for deals you're missing a big part of the fu

Well said but it's easier said then done. You can buy youself allies in the community or you have to have been doing this stuff for years. Limited people in my area have either been extremely ruthless or didn't want to deal with you at all. I'm sure not the entire community is this way. I have had good dealings from pinside with a couple purchases and will continue to buy this way

As far as money. I can purchase a machine but work will not allow me to take off with short notice to be there for whatever he decided to do. I have limited funds so this forces me to look for project machines to continue in the hobby. Unfortunately money is the root to all evil in this hobby. Good luck to the seller, he's gonna need it

#33 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

It seems like you have a genuine internal turmoil with trying to figure out the 'right' way to do this to help out the community.
    First off there is really no 'right' or wrong way, but there are some things I would do if I were in your same shoes and my main motive was to get these projects into as many hands as possible for fair prices and ensure they actually get brought back to life.
    1. I would not be selling anything greater than a lot of 3 to any single person. You have obviously gotten lots of response from the retailer types that are going to try and convince you to fill a truckload and they are all about greed and dollars so you have to avoid those guys. Most of them are well known but some are not. By limiting purchases to 3 at most per person you will weed out these people.
    2. It will take more time and effort to do what you want, but I would suggest loading up as many photos as you can of each game with the best description you can. I would put this ALL into a google doc spreadsheet. It is too unwieldy to be dealing with mutliple ads on pinside and hundreds or responses in threads combined with thousands of PMS. You want to streamline your effort, so having a google doc with individual line items and links to each set of game photos will allow you to control stuff and keep it organized. Make sure you are the only one with edit rights, but then you can make the link to the google doc live when you see fit.
    Basically a bit more up front leg work will help save you lots of time and headache on the back end.
    3. State your expectations clearly. For example:
    -These are the only photos you will be taking so buyers need to make their decision based on that
    -Prices are FIRM. Dont ask to negotiate! Period or your email will be put in the do not sell to bin.
    -Deals are $100 off each game for buying up to 3 at one time.
    -Deposit must be sent of $250 non-refundable via paypal friends and family within 4 hrs of being told you get the game
    -Games must be picked up within 7 days. If you dont show then you lose your deposit.
    -Email title MUST contain the name of the game you want. Contents of email must contain... Basically make it simple on yourself to weed through emails.
    4. How to pick whom to sell to? That is honestly tough if you are striving for fair. There will be no 'fair' way. No matter what you come up with, someone will always feels slighted if they miss a deal. I think first to email is as good a way as any. If you limit to 1 purchase (of up to 3 games) then it may help by limiting peoples response. For example, if you list them in lots of 15 at a time, then maybe I will hold off on emailing for something in the first lot in hopes that something in the second lot may be of greater interest to me. That said, you are limiting your geographical audience if you don't publish a nearly complete list of titles and lots at the start. For example, can I really afford the time and gas money to drive down for a single game? unlikely.... For 3 games, then all of a sudden you will be spreading the wealth out much further as people can justify the drive.
    5. Publish ALL games, sales prices, and names of buyers publicly and request that nobody resell any game until it is brought back to life. The public alone will help regulate this. You wont prevent all, but you will prevent many from just trying to hussle/lie to you for a quick buck. It will also be cool to see whom got what and then hopefully spawn some cool threads on here for how they are bringing them back to life. I know if I get a game I want then I would be happy to document its return to greatness.
    6. Good luck! I agree with rotordave that you may have jumped the gun a bit with these threads, but I also understand your desire to give people a heads up at the holiday season with funny money funds.

5 is ridiculous. No one should be required to do something specific with a game they buy. They buy it and it's theirs.

#34 7 years ago
    Quoted from pascal-pinball:

Ebay and start at $1
    Fair for everybody

Everybody with too much cash

#35 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pinzap:

No single collector is looking to buy a truckload.

I'm a single collector and want to buy a truckload, because there's no project games up here at all. If I came back with a truckload, anything I didn't specifically want for myself would go to other local collectors who want projects.

#36 7 years ago
    Quoted from jrivelli:

5 is ridiculous. No one should be required to do something specific with a game they buy. They buy it and it's theirs.

But yet, it would help deter flipping by some people.

OP is looking for ways to ensure people don't grab games just to resell for more money.

#37 7 years ago

I would just sell them in the way that is easist and stress free for yourself. Selling a few truckloads of pins that need work sounds like a good way to ease the burden. Otherwise it will takes months and tons of your personal time over the year to manage every sell. I would just pick out the pins in best shape and try to get a good price on those and quickly unload the rest.

#39 7 years ago

I think your making this too hard on yourself.
    Good running machines above say 3k allow 1or 2 at a time,cheaper projects maybe allow up to 4 at a time to a buyer. No flippers or cades,players and collectors first.
    Merry Christmas -Mike

#40 7 years ago

You should not listen to people and do what you think is best. If you don't...

IMG_2417 (resized).JPGIMG_2417 (resized).JPG

#41 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

OP is looking for ways to ensure people don't grab games just to resell for more money.

Actually once someone buys a machine from me I really don't care if they do flip it for a profit. What I don't want to do is sell groups of machines to a few people who would all be doing that so I prefer to limit the number of machines one person can buy from one lot to 3 machines.

But not to exclude those guys looking to buy a truck load I have a plan for that. Everything not sold or not picked up within 10 days will go into a lot. That lot will be sold as a lot only at a discounted price to one buyer. This solves two issues - first issue it solves is guys thinking I will lower the prices on stuff that doesn't sell right away and try to wait for a lower price can't do that. But it also gives me groups of stuff to sell to people who want to buy it by the lot. Again to put some limits on things I will only sell max of 16 machines to any one person unless I no one voices an interest in one of the lots - then I'll go beyond that limit.

Lots will be sold towards the end - so once I have listed everything and the singles have sold off I'll be offering the lots for sale. (All at one time so people traveling a long distance will have a chance to grab as much as possible). Same way of selling but by lots instead of single machines.

There is a possibility I might grab a machine or two that doesn't sell before I create the lots just in case one of my local buddies wants something. But for the most part everything not sold quickly will get grouped into lots for quick sale.

#42 7 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

I would just sell them in the way that is easist and stress free for yourself. Selling a few truckloads of pins that need work sounds like a good way to ease the burden. Otherwise it will takes months and tons of your personal time over the year to manage every sell. I would just pick out the pins in best shape and try to get a good price on those and quickly unload the rest.

When you guys start seeing the listing you will discover I have already picked out the "best stuff" and sold off or parted out the rest over the past 8 years. So 80% or more of what I will be selling will be "better condition machines".

#43 7 years ago

List them in the open forum at retail prices and respond to the tire kicker/crybaby/ price police in a bad ass street fighter/WWF method like pinsider savetheleaning tower did a few months ago. His listings were pinside Gold!
    In all seriousness,You owe no one anything, so sell them your way cause you are the one making the rules. If you go about this wrong,when this is all over,you just might be disliked as much as ex pinsider Canada!

#44 7 years ago

Crikes, just sell them as you see fit & be done with it. Too much chatter over this nonsense.

#45 7 years ago
    Quoted from ultimategameroom:

If you go about this wrong,when this is all over,you just might be disliked as much ex pinsider Canada!

Once this is over I'll be in my little camper traveling around the US instead of hanging out here all the time anyway. So I'll do the best I can for everyone but if that isn't good enough - I really don't care!

#46 7 years ago
    Quoted from dasvis:

Crikes, just sell them as you see fit & be done with it. Too much chatter over this nonsense.

To is OK to post for months about what Stern's next machine might be but it is wrong to get some input how to sell off a collection of machines? That is what is wrong with Pinside! A pinball forum is to discuss pinball related stuff. If you don't want to read about a topic just pass it by!

#47 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I don't see the problem with flipping. If OP has his price too cheap and someone decides to buy it just to resell, there's nothing wrong with that. The market decides what a game is worth.

What OP is trying to do is admirable but he justs needs to sell these pins to whoever wants them. Just allow one load per buyer. No one is gonna take twenty pins home unless they have a semi trailer. However many pins you can fit in a truck or trailer you get to take home.

#48 7 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

I'm a single collector and want to buy a truckload, because there's no project games up here at all. If I came back with a truckload, anything I didn't specifically want for myself would go to other local collectors who want projects.

Oh so you want to get a bunch and flip em .I get it . you want to help out the Canada pinball people, but doing it at the expense of the US pinball people.
    I appreciate what Skip is trying to do. And hope That the people who can only afford 1-2 pins ( me included )will get a chance to do that before he decides to let anyone walk away with truckloads...sir I like your style good luck with the sale .and I voted for the lottery I feel that's the fairest, imo. and hoping to take a little road trip next month : )

#49 7 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

I guess you haven't been paying attention He wants to help as many of the pinball community with fairly priced machines and spread the joy of pinball to the masses . he's not looking to cash in quick and dump the rest . Which I commend him for as it will be a burden. but well appreciated by all. thanks again

#50 7 years ago

If I were the seller, I wouldn't go anywhere near eBay. Their fees will kill it for you. Just my 2 cents.

There are 84 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/quick-poll-selling-off-machines-fairest-method-lottery-or-first and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.