Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 32 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by RipleYYY
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Have you ever physically had or seen a SPIKE Node Board failure?”

• YES, I have physically had or seen a NODE board failure 52 votes
      51%
    • No, I have NOT physically had or seen a NODE board failure. 49 votes
      49%

(101 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1BA8768D-0CF9-4BA1-A4A5-C0F5A35CB257 (resized).jpeg

#1 5 years ago

Just wanted to get a few poll numbers on those who have physically had or seen a Stern SPIKE system game with a NODE board failure.
    Please post a pic of the screen that stated what NODE board and how did you resolve it, if applicable.
    Thanks for voting.

#2 5 years ago

Yes, GOTLE Node 8 flipper driver board for me.

#3 5 years ago

I had a partial failure, it couldn't control the LEDs properly but otherwise worked. The game couldn't detect that, I figured it out by swapping boards and seeing the problem follow the board. Stern sent me a replacement

#4 5 years ago

YES GB node board...think it was 8 or 9.

Sent back to Stern, received a "new" board with extra/new Resitor (?) soldered to it for free.

#5 5 years ago

Bought an GOT pro. No NODE issues.

#6 5 years ago

Had a Node 8 board go out on my Pabst Can Crusher 1 week after receiving it NIB 2+ years ago.

#7 5 years ago

I only own four games with node boards and luckily none of them have had problems. But, I have seen node boards die on games. When I was playing in the stern circuit last star wars would not score any points a node board had blown. In our Pittsburgh league a group was playing star wars next to me and the node board went out on it as well.

#8 5 years ago

Yes. We have 2 node issues at the moment. Both games bought new and HUO

1. GBLE backbox lights out. Stern have come up with a solution (not replacing CPU board). Not sure on cost (If any)
    2. GOTG Light board Node 11a. Stern have sent out a replacement free of charge.

Stern have been fantastic to deal with as always.

Great idea looking to collect real data. I am not sure what you are looking to achieve from your poll. Something to think about. A game in a tournament (with 30 people there) blows a node board. Everyone there will answer your poll "yes" including the owner. Reality is only one owner with one node board has actually had an issue.

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinballaddicted:

Great idea looking to collect real data. I am not sure what you are looking to achieve from your poll. Something to think about. A game in a tournament (with 30 people there) blows a node board. Everyone there will answer your poll "yes" including the owner. Reality is only one owner with one node board has actually had an issue.

Understood, but I didn’t want to limit the poll to only Stern pinball owners. I believe people that play machines on route should be accounted for as well.

#12 5 years ago

Only 35 votes?

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinballaddicted:

Everyone there will answer your poll "yes" including the owner. Reality is only one owner with one node board has actually had an issue

the inverse is also true and the majority of Stern games we have owned since node boards came to light have had issues.

They have always been great to get them replaced but it has taken some effort a few times.
    I only replied for 1 yes in the poll even though it has been for multiple games.

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

the inverse is also true and the majority of Stern games we have owned since node boards came to light have had issues.
    They have always been great to get them replaced but it has taken some effort a few times.
    I only replied for 1 yes in the poll even though it has been for multiple games.

That is good to know, I did not think about that. We have 6 Spike Sterns at the moment and 2 have node issues. I voted one yes also. If Stern release the schematics for Spike, this will definitely make our life much easier.

#15 5 years ago

Answers many Questions

#16 5 years ago

I have replaced 2 node boards so far. Both of them were on Kiss LE.

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from Squizz:

Answers many Questions

No it does not. This guy has his nose out of joint because he was parallel importing NIB Stern games in to Australia and got caught out by Stern. Stern stopped his supply of machines (he was selling spike games) and surprise surprise he made that video and all of a sudden, Spike became an issue. Plenty of sour grapes in that interview.

If you agree with him, I suggest that you do not buy any recent games from any manufacturer. All are using a similar system to run their games.

#18 5 years ago

Didnt have one fail, it was not activating shaker motor from the get go. Game was fine, when I hooked up shaker, it wouldnt stop. New node board fixed prob, stern was great about replacement

#19 5 years ago

AS pro main CPU board locked up during game play on my friends game. Sent board to Stern for repairs. Stern replied back with, “ We can’t fix the board” your game is out of warranty so you have to buy a new CPU board. ($600) New board arrives only to have backbox lights night working on new CPU board. Send replacement CPU back for another board and so far so good with new board. My buddy’s game was down for 3 weeks, this was a great reality check for me and prompted me to sell my only Stern node board game I owned. (Don’t miss it at all) I was helpless and completely useless in terms of repairing my buddy’s game.

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from Lmjdad:

We can’t fix the board” your game is out of warranty so you have to buy a new CPU board. ($600

Damn...$600 for a new board? Do you still have the old one to repair?

#21 5 years ago

There's and old saying: "You don't talk to a pitcher during a no-hitter"

#22 5 years ago

Kiss. Had it a day. Had 4 other games since with no problem. I'd say not really any less reliable but too expensive if they do go amd there should only be one that fits everything.

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from LoveNeverDiesGuy:

Damn...$600 for a new board? Do you still have the old one to repair?

Yes, my friend has the old board. Stern also lowered the cost of the board to $450.

#24 5 years ago

munsters- says node board 9 not found upon boot.
    swapped node board 9 with node board 8.
    now says node board 8 not found.
    looks like the node board is the culprit.
    awaiting a replacement node board.

#25 5 years ago
    Quoted from silver_spinner:

Be sure the switches are properly set on the node boards when swapping them (Node 8: OFF OFF OFF OFF, Node 9: OFF OFF ON OFF) Also be sure to check the data cable going to each board and back to the CPU

#26 5 years ago

Did this happen out of the box or after a code update?

#27 5 years ago

it happened about 100 games after code update.
    it is the board for sure. tried it in another game with same exact results.

#28 5 years ago

it happened about 100 games after code update.

Do most of these node failures happen after a code update or just heavy play use?

#29 5 years ago

CPU lock up after 137 games. Do your homework before you invest on these new titles. Yes they’re fun to play but become a source of frustration when broken. And yes they will break.

#30 5 years ago

had a just removed from box star wars pro blow a node after like 10 plays... got a replacement and sold it asap.

#31 5 years ago

Freaked out tonight when GOT shut off.
    Thought it was going to be a node board failure.
    Safe to say it was “MIDNIGHT MADNESS”
    What an ADRENALINE RUSH
    1BA8768D-0CF9-4BA1-A4A5-C0F5A35CB257 (resized).jpeg1BA8768D-0CF9-4BA1-A4A5-C0F5A35CB257 (resized).jpeg

#32 5 years ago

GB bought NIB, from the very 1st run delivered here west europe, board 9 was dead within the 1st month

also got inserts ghosting and bad clearcoat playfield... full miss on this one

but in the end, big tanx again to my distro (hi Carl) as he swap the pin with a new one on the next container arrival, and that 2nd GB was simply perfect

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/quick-pole-for-node-boards-on-stern-spike-systems- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.