14 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 14 years ago by VT8man
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 14 years ago

Is the key for the coin door, usually the same for the lock that hold the backglass in place? My assumption is it should be. I must be facing a stingy lock or that lock has been replaced.

#2 14 years ago

Two quite different keys on my Data East machine. The coin box key is a round security key, the back box key is an ordinary flat key.

#3 14 years ago

I have a Williams Swords Of Fury and the coin door has a simple disk tumbler lock with a Y11 key way. The lock in the head is also a disk tumbler lock but it's made for furniture, I think it is a Schlage I'm unsure of it's key way. Typically they should be at least keyed differently even if they are of same make and key way.

#4 14 years ago

My Bally has two different keys. Your's probably are different.

#5 14 years ago

Unless an operator or owner keyed them alike at some point, the keys will be different.

#6 14 years ago

I've owned many dozen of games and never had a matching set of coindoor and backglass lock keys. The backglass key most often looks different in shape/color then the coindoor key. Must have been done on purpose to let operators easily distinguish the two.

Backglass keys (or sometimes a complete set of spare keys) would often be stored by operators on a little hook attached to the inside of the game's coin door, they would then only carry the coin door keys with them on a big keyring.

#7 14 years ago

Ok my head is on straight now. Got a new pin home last night and the backglass lock keys must have come off the coin door while we were moving it. Found them in the back of the cabinet. I was trying to open the backglass lock with the coin door keys and the key was not even close to fitting in the lock last night. When I opened the coin door first and didn't see any other keys there, I just tried the coin door keys on the backglass lock, wondering if the same key could be for both?? After doing my first local pick-up, hauling that sucker up a flight of winding stairs, I should have just slept on it. lol At least STTNG is in da house!!!

#8 14 years ago

I think the logistics of moving one myself for the first time raised this question. By the time I got it home, I wanted to replace the batteries first because there's corrosion starting there and they are obviously dead. I'm screwing around with the keys and just wanted to play...lol at that point. Looked inside the coin door...no keys, so I was just thinking it was the same key...

I did a local pickup for STTNG, so based on other deliveries I've had to my home. Here's what I did for anyone moving a game personally, for whatever reason. You might be lacking a minor tool that would help greatly if you are new to this.

Take with you:

1. Hand truck, with a handle longer than the playfield length. This will help greatly on stairs. Mine was about two inches shorter than the playfield, not fun. Make sure the tires have air if they actually hold air. You don't want to find this out later. (I did this first.)

2. Remove balls and coin box from machine before moving. This is important, and easy to forget. Before you unplug it, you should be able to do this through a test menu option for the balls. They will spill out and could damage the playfield once you move it. You have to slide the glass off or down to catch them as the game ejects them.

2. Shrink Wrap, industrial roll, several feet wide, use this to wrap the cabinet head to the body once you fold it down for moving. Wrap the head of the game to the cab, with a blanket in between the playfield glass and head. At least that is what I did.

3. Screwdriver - Phillips in my case, remove the power cord cover and unplug the power cord, otherwise this could be damaged in moving.

3. 5/8" Socket/Wrench for the legs. Once you get the head down and wrapped, power cord removed, remove the back legs first then tilt the machine up on it's back and remove the front legs. (the front of the game is pointing at the sky.) Place the hand truck under the back of the game from it's bottom. Then get it in the truck. A moving blanket underneath helps if you need to slide the game around tying it down or once you unload it.

4. Unloading - If you can get a truck low enough to the ground just slide the game out, back first, this would be how you loaded it with the hand truck and slide it out tilting the back down so you can tilt the game up on it's back again from resting on the back of the truck. Most I've seen have rails for this and little plastic nubs to rest on. (Sometimes they come out, you probably already saw this.) Stand the game back on it's backside again once you get it near where you want it from the hand truck and put the front legs on the machine, these two legs will be slightly shorter than the back legs. Tilt the game forward to have the two legs rest on the ground, while someone strong holds up the pin while you bolt on the back legs. It shouldn't take very long. If you have some fancy way to prop the game up, by all means use it. This seems to give everyone a little bit of exercise, and is quick if you get everything you need in arms reach. Hell..then slide it where you want it, put the balls back in the game and go for it.

Just wanted to share my adventure. Short of not being able to locate the backglass keys...it went really well. It's time to reach the final frontier.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/quick-newbie-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.