You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pinball (resized).png
P2 10sReel (resized).JPG
Pinball (resized).png
Pinball (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider howardr.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 5 years ago
Quoted from rar2667:

... then suddenly the start button will not start a game (with credits showing). I can lift the playfield and manually activate the S-Start Relay and a game starts as normal. Several more games may pass before it happens again.
I haven't tried to keep track of the match number when it fails, but is that anywhere in the circuit? ...

Match isn't relevant. When the problem happens, diagnose this circuit with Alligator clip jumper wires.

Pinball (resized).pngPinball (resized).png

#8 5 years ago

Hi rar2667 ,

Welcome to pinside!!!

Pick one symptom, slowly & thoughtfully diagnose it, and only then repair it.

Quoted from rar2667:

... Player 2 score reels usually don't reset either unless I tap the back of the score reel while the motor is running to reset. It's not the 10s reel that I need to tap to complete the reset, it's the 100s reel. Could that mean the coil is weak or getting stuck? ...

Each score reel contains 2 switches that control its reset. One switch tells the reset circuit it's OK to move on to the next step in the sequence, and the other switch tells the reel itself to stop turning. Here are those 2 switches in their circuits for the 2nd player 100 score reel.

Quoted from rar2667:

Now I know why I've seen all the comments about score reels being a pain.
Taking a break and will try again.

I see lots of posts from people who say this or that part is a pain (Here's where the AS and Interlock relay haters chime in to say how wrong they think I am). I don't agree with any of them. Work slowly and carefully, keep a good sense of humor, take breaks when you need to (good instinct there) and soon the machine will settle down and play reliably for a long time. Before long you'll almost wish something would break so you could fix it!!!

If you'd like a phone call, PM me your contact information.

H.

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from rar2667:

I might not know the basics of "cleaning" a switch. I worked on them with a fine nail file, but upon closer inspection they are pitted and rough. This machine sat in my damp basement for 25 years, so there is probably corrosion on all surfaces. Probably need some advice on proper cleaning of switches.
I also tried to tighten up the loose solder joint on P2 10s reel board (photo attached), but my solder skills are not the best. Let me know if that solder contact can cause any of the problems I'm having. As it stands, when P2 scores 50 points, the 100s advances 500 points as well. ...

1. Until you get a lot more experience, only clean or otherwise repair what careful diagnosis tells you needs fixing.
2. Your solder joint looks nice and shiny which is perfect.
3. Re 50 giving 550, the 9th Position switch on player 2's ten point reel is probably always closed.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider howardr.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/quick-draw-start-button-intermittently-fails-to-start-a-game?tu=howardr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.