Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

QD P relay (resized).jpg
IMG_5429 (resized).JPG
IMG_5457 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sudsy7.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from bicyclenut:

I just picked up a Gottlieb Quick Draw and something just doesnt seem right. Attached are pictures of the "P" relay in the belly. As you can see the top leaf switch does not have any wires to them. I can not find any wires that are missing or disconnected in the whole wiring harness.

You have a machine that had the "Steve Charland mod" done to it in the past. In a nutshell, many Fast/Quick Draws give spurious 100 pt scores during player change that somehow comes from the 500 pt relay circuit as the drop targets are reset. This mod positively opens the 500 pt relay circuit when the P relay is active to prevent it. It's a good mod if your machine does this.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!topic/rec.games.pinball/xZ7rtFC0p2A

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

Oh yeah, the old 100 point glitch. If it's for that mod I wonder why somebody would have yanked out all the wiring for it?

Seems to pop up now and then for different owners but my Fast Draw doesn't have the mod and has never had that 100 point glitch once and I've had it for 30 years. The mod prevents it from happening but I don't think anybody has ever precicely determined why machine A does it but machine B doesn't. Slight difference in motor speed or differences in timing of this switch and/or that switch, who knows.

Your guess is as good as mine why there are no wires there now. Maybe a purist, albeit a half-assed one I would have to add, wanted to bring it back to original print, so he took out the wires, but then left the switch, just in case. Who knows - maybe someone had a coffee machine wired to it - people do strange things every day.

Yes it's kind of a mysterious thing and it's apparently a timing issue and it can be a bugger to get it working correctly. I know this because I had this problem with mine, and I fiddled with it for a while and just like Steve (who btw was no dummy when it came to pinball machines as I'm sure everyone knows), I could not get it to be fail-proof. So I added the isolation switch to mine and never had to think about it again.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sudsy7.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/quick-draw-help?tu=sudsy7 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.