(Topic ID: 114863)

Questions - Williams Space Odyssey (CPR Backglass Install)

By SilverBallKid

9 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

P1010078.JPG
DSCF2545.JPG
DSCF2540.JPG
DSCF2559.JPG
DSCF2562.JPG
DSCF2551.JPG
DSCF2552.JPG
DSCF2549.JPG
DSCF2550.JPG
DSCF2548.JPG
#1 9 years ago

Hi,

Well, it was a late (but worth the wait) Merry Christmas for me as the CPR repro backglass for my Space Odyssey which my wife got me arrived yesterday. I'm posting some pics because I can not believe how amazing it looks and can't believe how it compares to my old one.

Here they are side by side.
DSCF2548.JPGDSCF2548.JPG

Here are a few comparison shots of some of the detail.
DSCF2550.JPGDSCF2550.JPG
DSCF2549.JPGDSCF2549.JPG

DSCF2552.JPGDSCF2552.JPG
DSCF2551.JPGDSCF2551.JPG

DSCF2562.JPGDSCF2562.JPG
DSCF2559.JPGDSCF2559.JPG

So this is my first table and this is the first time I am doing this. The old backglass has metal lift trim that doesn't feel like it wants to come off. I don't necessarily want to try to force it off in any way because I don't want to break the bg. Should I follow my gut and just order all new trim for it? All the side trim on the old one is held on with black electrical tape and I am sure if I buy new trim it will fit on the new bg better.

Also, I want to replace a lot of the lamp sockets in my backbox because I have lots of trouble with dim lights and/or unworking lights. Yes, I have cleaned them all and used a socket stick on them. I found the staple down style at Marcos but I am not seeing these that go above the scoring reels. Do you guys know if I can get these?

DSCF2540.JPGDSCF2540.JPG
DSCF2545.JPGDSCF2545.JPG

I just want to do everything I can to improve the lighting behind this new backglass. Seems silly to pay all the dough for it and not show it off as best I can.

All help is appreciated!

Cheers,

Tim in Detroit

#2 9 years ago

You'll have to adapt lamp sockets to the lamp bar above the reels, or find one from a parts machine. Nobody is selling those that I'm aware of.

As for the lift trim, you might be able to find one. I know they're available for single players. But it will come off easier than you think.

Just lie the old glass on carpet, face up. Lie a length of 2x4 on top of the glass, and use a rubber mallet to tap the 2x4 agaiinst the lift channel. One you get it loose it will come right off.

Just be careful and don't hit the glass and you more than likely will be fine.

The side trim pieces will come off very easily

#3 9 years ago

re: light bars...

nope, you can't get them... below is a link to a solution that could be used for them...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1976-gottlieb-sure-shot-rehabilitation#post-2097238

#4 9 years ago

I have done something similar for Gottlieb titles. Simply remove old holders and drill out lamp bar to lamp socket dimensions. Solder socket tab to the lamp bar and wire accordingly.

P1010078.JPGP1010078.JPG

1 week later
#5 9 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

You'll have to adapt lamp sockets to the lamp bar above the reels, or find one from a parts machine. Nobody is selling those that I'm aware of.
As for the lift trim, you might be able to find one. I know they're available for single players. But it will come off easier than you think.
Just lie the old glass on carpet, face up. Lie a length of 2x4 on top of the glass, and use a rubber mallet to tap the 2x4 agaiinst the lift channel. One you get it loose it will come right off.
Just be careful and don't hit the glass and you more than likely will be fine.
The side trim pieces will come off very easily

Thanks for this! The lift trim came right off when I used a mallet and a 2x4. Great tip.

I'm very happy with the new backglass. The windows don't line up very well on the player one reels, which is a bit distracting. Overall, though, a HUGE improvement.

#6 9 years ago

my method of repairing lamp sockets is to use a points file. scratch clean an area of the bottom of the socket and the strap where they touch. bridge the cleaned gap with solder. next scratch clean the oxidation off of the center post, solder a drop of solder on it, solder one end of a 1.5 inch piece of de-soldering braid to it, and wrap the other end of the braid around the connection post and solder. lift the center of the braid up and away from the strap to avoid shorts.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/questions-williams-space-odyssey-cpr-backglass-installss-in and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.