Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 373 posts
  • 156 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Brazy
  • Topic is favorited by 17 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4315 (resized).PNG
    zzzzzz Class of 2018 (2) (resized).png
    690728BF-ED4C-4FEB-8806-C41B7D82D42C (resized).jpeg
    zzzzzz124 (2) (resized).jpg
    CpRm4JtUsAAZmyR (resized).jpg
    1392850472-0 (resized).jpg
    Surely-You-Cant-Be-Serious (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    5CFD98E9-CB72-4A66-AFAA-E1E866C71060 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    simpsons_2_800x800_cropped (resized).png
    E38D7280-D34F-4ADD-A3BC-93E8381F4142 (resized).jpeg
    Capture (resized).png
    cj (resized).jpg
    interview02 (resized).jpg
    andy heighway (resized).JPG
    There are 373 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 8.
    #351 5 years ago
    Quoted from simon:

haha, yes, for me that will be a 'no'
    I dont think it really matters what i say now anyway, so I will tell you that from early on there were sensible offers to do most the production elsewhere, which would of meant more or less just a small design and sales team etc running out of a small unit somewhere with minimum overheads.
    Other than the obvious options of doing a load of it in China, the best bet might of been something similar to what i believe (?) one of your US pinball companies has done fairly recently and 'farmed' it out to another manufacturer that was already geared up for production - I cant remember who / what it was exactly as im not very current but did it maybe involve JJP or Stern's lines being used? Please correct me if im wrong as its a bit of a vague recollection!
    But anyway, I can guarantee you there was a serious offer by a large UK coin-op manufacturer (Non pinball of course, but probably one of our biggest) fairly early in proceedings to produce these for HP. But the conversation never went anywhere as the powers that be wanted it ALL in house. Was literally just dismissed out of hand.
    This involved a successful company who had everything in place to do it, and was put forward by someone else involved in UK pinball, who knows the top man at said manufacturer and who is actually himself involved in producing certain pinball parts and has designed and produced / sold WORKING pinball PCB's etc .
    VERY VERY bad decision that, compounded by lots of other very bad decisions Im afraid.

The problem is that not only was Andrew incredibly narcissistic & appeared prepared to lie about anything to anyone, with little evidence of a conscience & delusions of grandeur, he wanted the WHOLE PIE. Whilst he was in complete control of the company, sensible stuff which might have produced a viable concern was never, ever going to happen. There was never a board, never any other directors, it was his way or the highway (sorry).

For a normal, well run company, sure, funding was enough for far more to be done, and for suppliers & staff to be paid and customers not to lose money. Maybe even a real success.

For Andrew and the dominion of his self appointed fiefdom, there would never be enough. As resources were frittered away & evaporated, so the pyramid grew. Instead of the company either being put into administration or restructured as ought to have happened, it just got worse as he used more and more underhanded tactics and deception to 'juggle' and 'survive', and this lasted years. His control freakery likely worsened as his self dug pit deepened, as he had so much to hide. Buying machinery and doing stuff in house also probably seemed impressive to many, so it was part of keeping up appearances. Relinquishing control in those circumstances is impossible.

TLDR, any normal management or funding requirements were anathema to who he was and what he was doing. I suppose the most incredible thing is that this happened despite managing to get so much 'free' labour.

#352 5 years ago

Scary unanswered questions from the interview:
    How much was he paying himself for the first 3 years?
    How much money did he leave with? Or how much did PB pay him for all the "stuff"?

#353 5 years ago

Check contributions from Pick Holder and Ewan in the UK forum pinball to see how great it was to work for HP.
    http://www.pinballinfo.com/community/threads/new-heighway-owner.36701/page-26

And now one can read among the comments published in Pinball news that "most pinball forums are toxic and detract heavily from this great hobby"

Yeah... I wonder who was the most toxic to pinball?
    Ask HP ex-employees may be?

#354 5 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

What's the status of your game?

On a boat in theory. It's all in theory until there's a box in my garage though.

#355 5 years ago
    Quoted from jlm33:

Check contributions from Pick Holder and Ewan in the UK forum pinball to see how great it was to work for HP.
    http://www.pinballinfo.com/community/threads/new-heighway-owner.36701/page-26

Wow, shit was going south before I even joined the company! I didn't know any of this.

Interesting that Andrew says "ex employees are ex employees for a reason". Here are the FACTS:

I was employed in the company for nearly 5 years and in that time 23 people quit, but only 1 person was fired (a factory worker). And every single person that left the company said the same thing: "This guy is an idiot and hasn't got a clue"....or words to that effect.

We actually had joke bets on how long a new employee would last. The record was 1 day.

#356 5 years ago

The best interview has been already done with comments of his own employees. We know all we need to know.
    They have all described Andrew as a bad manager that had an inflated ego - he declared he was proud to have moved his garage company to a multinational company , whose lifestyle was not at all related to the good health of the company. what can we expect from a narcissistic and irresponsible person? He apologizes? Bullshit.

#357 5 years ago
    Quoted from SLAMT1LT:

Interesting that Andrew says "ex employees are ex employees for a reason"

I was employed in the company for nearly 5 years and in that time 23 people quit, but only 1 person was fired (a factory worker). And every single person that left the company said the same thing: "This guy is an idiot and hasn't got a clue"....or words to that effect.
    We actually had joke bets on how long a new employee would last. The record was 1 day.

so... he was right? ex employees were ex employees for a reason, and that reason was they were smart and got the hell out of dodge when they could?

#358 5 years ago
    Quoted from SLAMT1LT:

Wow, shit was going south before I even joined the company! I didn't know any of this.
    Interesting that Andrew says "ex employees are ex employees for a reason". Here are the FACTS:

There was a printed plastic of caricatures of all the company staff at that time that for a while had 'pride' of place on the wall behind Russell. I had a running joke that sometime I would cross out the faces of everyone on that board who had left, and call it the 'Flawed Pacifist Ending'.

#359 5 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

so... he was right? ex employees were ex employees for a reason, and that reason was they were smart and got the hell out of dodge when they could?

Yep. Basically it's a statement that he thinks sounds good but means absolutely nothing. He'd make a great politician.

#360 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mission65:

so you have to be reasonably old in the Uk to get those jokes.

Or work on old bikes/cars.

Only recently have I gotten over my fear of the dreaded zener diode.

#361 5 years ago

God those pinballinfo comments are completely nauseating. The ex-employees could not have painted a better picture of this buffoon. Cluster-F from start to finish.

I found this comment to be especially interesting...

If you have a Heighway pinball - then who the hell will build spares ?? The node boards are crap. Use mini/micro USB connectors right next to VUKs that crack the solder on the boards... The only good things are the coils. I would be shocked if more than 200 Heighway Pinballs exist. So what is the point in doing repro boards? Why not make WPC CPU boards that will sell bucket loads. Stuff will fail as it is made with the cheapest components. if your Heighway Pinball works - then get it sold quickly to someone you do not like.

Might be a great game, but what average person wants to deal with the likely long term headaches? I sure wouldn't

#362 5 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

but what average person wants to deal with the likely long term headaches?

average person...or average pinball hobby person? Probably a big difference. Also..."likely long term headaches"...that's a guess/assumption/prediction. The future might say otherwise. I was gambling when I bought it and I'm gambling now by keeling it. This community has shown in the past "where there's a will there's a way". There is already some very strong indications of strong will to keep these games running. Might fail...might not (it's a gamble).

#363 5 years ago

With so many people getting burned in the community would the community help with maintaining the pin?

#366 5 years ago

Yes because this is a great, supportive community Regardless of the criticisms of pinside.

#367 5 years ago
    Quoted from PBrookfield:

No, this is Pedantry. Arguments are down the hallway.

I never get tired of the argument skit... one of the best

3 months later
    #368 5 years ago

Posted in the other thread too, but it seems to me that a bulk of work is finished here. Why would a JJP or the like not take over this project? Seems like the code and playfield etc. exist and parts could be updated with quality.
    Seems like a total waste to throw it all out.

#369 5 years ago

You have a LOT of reading to do....

#370 5 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

You have a LOT of reading to do....

Lol. I see that.
    Still, seems like a total waste.
    I suppose total wastes do occur. But with all the wealth and injenuity here you would think it could be a fun takeover.

#371 5 years ago

Even though I agree....who want's to really get involved with that mess? Better to start from scratch....

#372 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinbutt2000:

Lol. I see that.
    Still, seems like a total waste.
    I suppose total wastes do occur. But with all the wealth and injenuity here you would think it could be a fun takeover.

It's full of non-standard parts that cost a lot, are unreliable or badly designed, and which would not enjoy any cost synergies with existing manufacturers' product lines.

To have a remotely reliable machine, they'd need to spend much more time, effort and money on it. The level of functionality you see now is the culmination of 9 months of additional work on hardware and software under the investors. It would need more for anyone to offer it again.

Because of the above it's likely to have limited appeal beyond the ultra-enthusiasts who've bought them and who are now endeavouring to keep them running and make parts available on a non-commercial basis.

The license will almost certainly be very expensive - Fox would probably want a barrier to entry to prevent anyone without the commitment and resources from furthering the fiasco and tainting their IP more.

It has a huge cloud over it, and anyone that touches it is likely to be (unfairly) tainted. There's at least a couple of million £s owing to various parties ... not even included in that, others never saw any remuneration for their work.

The main game coder works full time now for AP. AP wouldn't touch it due to all of this, and they've stated repeatedly they want no licenses.

If DP go down, it might make slightly more sense in that case (reliable & standard parts) for someone to acquire the rights from the creditors for TBL ... but I'd say the likelihood of a business case would be slim, still. Even if numbers somehow added up, the industry and the release cycle have moved on from and past both it and Alien. People's excitement and enthusiasm ebbed long ago.

8 months later
    #373 4 years ago
    Quoted from PBrookfield:

No, this is Pedantry. Arguments are down the hallway.

No it's not...

There are 373 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/questions-for-andrew-heighway/page/8?hl=boat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.