Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 373 posts
  • 156 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Brazy
  • Topic is favorited by 17 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4315 (resized).PNG
    zzzzzz Class of 2018 (2) (resized).png
    690728BF-ED4C-4FEB-8806-C41B7D82D42C (resized).jpeg
    zzzzzz124 (2) (resized).jpg
    CpRm4JtUsAAZmyR (resized).jpg
    1392850472-0 (resized).jpg
    Surely-You-Cant-Be-Serious (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    5CFD98E9-CB72-4A66-AFAA-E1E866C71060 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    simpsons_2_800x800_cropped (resized).png
    E38D7280-D34F-4ADD-A3BC-93E8381F4142 (resized).jpeg
    Capture (resized).png
    cj (resized).jpg
    interview02 (resized).jpg
    andy heighway (resized).JPG
    There are 373 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 8.
    #1 5 years ago

Hi everyone.

This Thursday Pinball News will be interviewing Andrew Heighway about the recent developments at Heighway Pinball as well as the whole history of the company from inception to liquidation.

I've been closely following the discussion on Pinside and in other places, and certainly have enough ideas for questions about everything from the way the company began, the people who have been involved, the decisions made, the problems which occurred at various times, and the way he and others behaved towards buyers, employees and suppliers.

However, you guys know the questions you would most like to ask, so I'd like to give you the opportunity to post them here.

Time will be limited so I may not be able to ask them all, and any offensive or sarcastic questions will be politely skipped. Similarly, details of specific (pre-) order numbers or technical questions relating to a certain game issue can't be addressed, but if you have something you would like to ask Andrew please post your question here.

The interview will be released first as an audio download on the Pinball News site, and later (once I have transcribed it) in text form.

Thanks for reading.

Martin.
    www.pinballnews.com

#2 5 years ago

In the wake of the stunning success of Heighway Pinball, what other exciting projects do you have on the horizon?

#3 5 years ago

Paper or plastic

#4 5 years ago

Just don’t kiss his ass

In fact if he needs a platform make him appear on the TWIPY award winning podcast which he has been offered a slot on

#5 5 years ago

Does he own stock in massengill corp?

#6 5 years ago

How do you reconcile the sale of a profitable company to a group of investors with the subsequent insolvency of the company months later under the leadership of those investors?

#7 5 years ago

Does he have any good investment advice?

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinballNews:

any offensive or sarcastic questions will be politely skipped.

Hmm, going to be a short interview...

#10 5 years ago

I'm not sure I'd give him your time to spout more bullshit but I guess if you're gonna do it:

"What key things have you learned, not specific to Pinball design or manufacturing, from this failed venture that you would change if you had the ability to go back in time and do it again?"

His answer will be very telling if he's learned a damned thing or just doesn't care that he screwed over so many people.

#11 5 years ago

Ask him where he learned to be a professional scammer. I would love to hear all about his tactics.

You gotta be honest, it takes some serious skill to be such a massive fraudster as Andrew and get away with it each time.

#12 5 years ago

He is either a masochist or evil genius who knew all along this might happen, and now he’s in damage control mode to get his new scam-O-Rama spun up.

My question would be: how do you explain the massive amount of mech and board redesigns required to get the Alien game off the ground, and which apparently still require fixes? Werent the designs approved by an experienced pinball engineer?

#13 5 years ago

What is the name of your next failed Business

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Hmm, going to be a short interview...

f9a (resized).jpgf9a (resized).jpg

#15 5 years ago

Wheres all the fuckin money?

#16 5 years ago

Playboy, why?

#17 5 years ago

"is it true that you went 12 for 12 with last year's maxim cover models?"

#18 5 years ago

"What's the frequency?! .......What's the frequency!!!?

#19 5 years ago

Is it just a coincidence that you registered the Hydrofoil business the very same week you told everybody that production was finally ready to start and they need to send in their next payment? (September 2016)

Actually, I have a follow up question. Is there a reason why you registered that business under a slightly different name? All of your other ventures were registered under your full name meaning that anyone could easily find all of your appointments (past & present) through Companies House by just clicking on your name. But the hydrofoil company was registered without your middle name making it more difficult to find. Just curious if that was intentional. Seems like a strange thing to do.

#20 5 years ago

I'd really like to know what his definition of integrity is... What is his excuse for blatantly lying to people for so long both online and to their faces at shows? And I'm not talking just about missed deadlines. He lied through his teeth about everything from numerous missed deadlines to licensing/art approvals, games being shipped to the U.S., parts being sent to customers, etc., etc....

I'd also like to hear him explain why he thought it was alright to completely ignore customers once he had their money as well as why he pandered for more money knowing that he did not have games to ship out when he said he did and the company was already in trouble.

He needs to own up to this stuff. No one wants to hear that he did everything just to try keeping the company afloat.

#21 5 years ago

This guy is no longer in pinball and you don't owe him any professional courtesy.

What is there to ask this guy?

"Why did you make so many poor choices?"
    "Has your business acumen improved at all?"
    "Why are you a terrible boss to your employees?"

#22 5 years ago

I don't think there's any question that can be asked because who will believe the answers?

#23 5 years ago

- Removed -

#24 5 years ago

Same as above Martin... At any point while running/owning Heighway, did you feel any guilt for any actions or words said?
    If yes, is their anything you would like to say regarding this?

#25 5 years ago

Reading the TWIP article, it looks like spending was out of control from day 1.

Why did no one, and this includes all the investors, put any safeguards into the company structure to stop this from happening?

Who managed the budget?

#27 5 years ago

Did you lease a Porsche using company funds as has been reported?:

"Then he thought a great plan would be a car to reflect his managing director ‘status’ – so he goes and gets a used Porsche Cayenne turbo on finance, and guess what, the company pays the finance."

http://thisweekinpinball.com/twip-the-fall-of-heighway-pinball-new-info-on-elvira-3-iron-maiden-le-more/

If he denies using company funds ask him: how can you justify spending money like that when your company was failing financially?

#28 5 years ago

When was the Alien licence supposed to expire?

Who took the decision to ditch Circe and replace the theme by Full Throttle?

#29 5 years ago

how about having the cops there to arrest his thieving ass!

#30 5 years ago

Alien (resized).pngAlien (resized).png

#31 5 years ago

1: How did you get into pinball? (always a good one)
    2: What is your favorite color?

#32 5 years ago

What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?

#33 5 years ago
    Quoted from Phat_Jay:

What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?

African or European?

#34 5 years ago

What? I don’t know that?! Aaagh!

#35 5 years ago

Will you put forth any effort to make customers who prepaid under your ownership whole or do you think that is the sole responsibility of the new owners?

#36 5 years ago

If you were a customer who prepaid and never received a game, what would you do?

#37 5 years ago

Why do you think there hasnt been an official press release or more communication?

#38 5 years ago
    Quoted from ZenTron:

Why do you think there hasnt been an official press release or more communication?

Because there is nobody there to do one?

#39 5 years ago

Why did you sell Heighway Pinball?
    Why did you let them keep the same name?

#40 5 years ago

Do you really think that he will show up for the interview?

#41 5 years ago

He wants to be the centre of attention, he will catch limo there

#42 5 years ago

I'd ask him to answer ALL OF the "allegations" from the ex-employee that claims Andrew was basically funneling incoming money from the company (which mostly came through Pre-orders and a few physical games sold) to fund his personal lifestyle. I think there was things regarding upgrading from an apartment to a "detached 6-bedroom house", getting a Porsche...etc.

It was such a scathing review of him as a businessman, that I'd love to hear answers to those claims. I mean, you have to ask him some real questions. Throwing him softballs does nothing for anyone and will probably lose yourself some respect within the community.

#43 5 years ago

At the Texas Pinball Festival in March of 2017, Andrew looked me in the eye and told me the Alien Machine I was purchasing was a 'true production' model. He lied. In fact, it was a pre-production model thrown together at the last minute that would need updated GI lighting, drop targets, PC, Xeno mech, etc - just to run updated code.

In my discussions with Helmut (Heighway support), he says (and I quote) "Andrew lied to customers because he needed cash". Andrew lied to my face, and I know others who were also lied to as well (not hypothetical - factual instances where Andrew lied his ass off).

My Question: Do you take ANY responsibility for the failure of Heighway Pinball - or it it all the investors fault (or someone else's)? Do you have any remorse for lying to your customers? Do you have any second thoughts about asking customers to 'send their final payment because games are shipping', when in fact that was yet another in a long string of lies?

#44 5 years ago

Ask him his thoughts on how the most successful thing to emerge from his company was a vegan thread

#45 5 years ago

How does it feel to be a flaming pile of shit !

#46 5 years ago
    Quoted from jlm33:

When was the Alien licence supposed to expire?

I can answer that. Mark Ritchie told them it was a crap theme that wouldn't sell. During our nightly phone call I said it lent itself to a racing theme due to the speed. I suggested Xtreme Racin' (this is why I designed an X ramp). Andrew came back and said they were going to change it to the "time travel inn" where different characters from time popped in. I said it was crap and basically Circe with celebs (think he'd probably watched Bill & Ted).
    They then came back with bike racing and Full Throttle.

My name doesn't appear anywhere except the bottom graphic mainly because I took was taking Heighway to court and settled out of. I think Andrew was a little pissed that I managed to get money out of the company where no one else did (because I could see where it was going and wasn't working for free).

#47 5 years ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:

I'd ask him to answer ALL OF the "allegations" from the ex-employee that claims Andrew was basically funneling incoming money from the company (which mostly came through Pre-orders and a few physical games sold) to fund his personal lifestyle. I think there was things regarding upgrading from an apartment to a "detached 6-bedroom house", getting a Porsche...etc.
    It was such a scathing review of him as a businessman, that I'd love to hear answers to those claims. I mean, you have to ask him some real questions. Throwing him softballs does nothing for anyone and will probably lose yourself some respect within the community.

I found this to be the most shocking statement.

"Not a single penny of Alien pre-order money was ever spent on an Alien machine" quoted from TWIP article

#48 5 years ago

I'm curious why he cares about what pinball people think of him, and why he's doing damage control at this point. Like...what's the point? Why not just sail off on a hydrofoil into the sunset?

#49 5 years ago
    Quoted from jlm33:

Andrew was utterly convinced that motorcycle racing was a beloved worldwide pastime, and that operators would buy up Full Throttle in multiple countries to get the theme on location. He was convinced it would be big in Japan, I remember talking with him about that specifically.

Obviously he's no business mastermind, but he refused to understand that building up from the collector market first, and having an established company that could go to operators later (what few remain) was the logical progression. This is the same ridiculous hubris that had all these big factories sitting there, empty and not doing anything, he wanted to be big out of the gate.

#50 5 years ago

So, another platform for this con-artist to lie through his teeth. What's the point of this?

There are 373 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/questions-for-andrew-heighway/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.