Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Blutarsky
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider boatcat.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#13 8 years ago

I have a Slick Chick and a North Star and have added a 100 point, (5-inch), bell to both.

The 1-point relay has a switch to energize the 0-9 unit which strikes the 1-point bell, and the 10 and 100 point relays each have a switch to energize the 10-point bell unit. However, North Star is a game that Gottlieb had to wire the 10 point relay to energize the 0-9 unit to keep the center special alternating on and off while in the middle of the 10-point-when-lit cluster of bumpers, so this relay WILL sound both bells. Most Gottliebs Games aren't set-up this way. On most, the 1-point relay gets the match unit, and the 10-point relay gets the free-standing 3" bell. Sing Along is wired the same as NS so when the ball is bouncing off of the lower slings, the holes will still alternate, (for special), despite the slings being lit for 10 points.

The mod is easy, but I don't think there's enough room to mount the 5-inch bell in the head. My games are in the middle of a row, (sorry, it wouldn't be easy to pull them out and take a look). I mounted the new 100-point bell inside the main cabinet back wall and jumped the common wire off of the knocker coil directly to the new bell coil. Start a game after this has been done, and with a small screwdriver or tool, short each switch on the 100-point relay individually until you find the switch that energizes the 3" bell unit. Remove the NON-common wire and tape back, replace with your new wire which will go to the other side of the 5" bell. Done!

I removed the 0-9 unit wire on the NS 10-point relay and tied back as well so I would only hear the 3" bell when sounded, plus I like the idea of the center special rollover being lit while the ball is banging around in that area. One time I think I ran over the rollover around 10-11 times for free games, (this is what I think Gottlieb was trying to avoid).

I added a 2-prong molex connector so I could remove the head, but not necessary.

It's a great addition to these 2 great games, as each has a feature that scores 100 points, (SC-center hole, and NS-2 kickout holes), and makes for a nice enhanced audio effect during play.

#16 8 years ago

Your welcome, Dr_of_Style!

Since you're interested, I may as well speculate , "The Why" on Sing Along also:

On Sing Along, having the 0-9 unit moving on both the 1 and 10 point relays is much more critical than on North Star. If you detach the 0-9 unit wiring from the 10 point relay and have the pops and slings lit for 10 points, the only areas that will alternate the holes for special while the ball is in play are the inner rebounds next to the "2" rollovers. You'd be surprised how little those inner rebounds are actually contacted. If you have for instance, only the green special lit, seems like it takes forever for it to finally light. I originally thought the bulb had burned out, but later realized there was hardly anything on the playfield stepping the 0-9 unit.

Leaving the 10-point relay wiring stock will add the 4 pops and 2 slings contributing to the alternating, having the special lights move around at a much more exciting speed.

So......WHY is there so little on Sing Along scoring single digit points? Well.........It's only the second game by Gottlieb with a reel representing the thousands digit. No more "1000" light in the silk screen glass. At the 5-ball suggested replay level of 3400, with a main feature of inline kickout holes scoring only 10-50 points, Gottlieb really needed to pick up the scoring pace on this one!

You're dependent on the 9 100-point bullseyes-rollovers. The rest of the playfield scoring, (remaining 8 sequence numbers, pops, inline holes and kickers), is not going to get you near the replay levels. This kinda takes the thrill out of watching and listening to the game racking up all those trivial inline hole points. Ya gotta hammer away at the 2's and 3's to get near replay-land on this game. The center target is a sucker shot as the ball will be back, "In your face" immediately, (and usually fighting to keep it alive).

Gottlieb did a great job on this game with regard to special sequences, but the scoring I would say is at best, dis-functional.

#18 8 years ago

Well.............This is really just my opinion. Maybe the scoring differences were Gottlieb's intention, but to me, having 8 rollovers worth 5 points, but 9 other targets-rollovers always worth 100 points, tells me Gottlieb tried to "Compensate." It's almost like the planning started out with the glass having the silk-screened "1" in the score. Who knows?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

1,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Staunton, VA
1,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shaker Heights, OH
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider boatcat.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/questions-adding-100-point-bell-to-north-star-and-slick-chick?tu=boatcat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.