(Topic ID: 72468)

Questions about Plastics

By RyanClaytor

10 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

SAM_1877.JPG
    #1 10 years ago

Hi Pinsiders,

After doing a few searches, I couldn't find any info on this site about plastics. I have a few questions:

A) If I'm going to make my own, I've heard that PETG is the way to go. Is there are

B) Is PETG advisable over simply picking up some Lexan at Home Depot?

C) What do you use to cut plastics to a specific shape (like slingshots, etc)? I'm assuming a jigsaw would do the trick.

D) Once the plastic is cut, how do you go about smoothing down the outter edge?

Thanks for any help you're able to give.

Sincerely,
    Ryan Claytor
    Elephant Eater Comics
    www.ElephantEater.com

#2 10 years ago

PM Sent

#3 10 years ago

I planned on making a set or plastic protectors very soon for my Rollergames project since the plastics are all decent and no longer available. Would like to see these answers!

#4 10 years ago

I carry PETG .060 so material is no biggie. If drawings are provided that is the best and quickest way to get these done, EPS files or CDR files are the best to work with. I can scan or work off scans it just takes a bit longer to do. The price depends on material + time, but it is a relatively inexpensive across the board. I just did a 5 piece set for Dr. Who and I am selling them for $15.00 shipped as an example.

SAM_1877.JPGSAM_1877.JPG
    #5 10 years ago

Hey Ryan,

1. There are several differences between Lexan and PETG, but the important one is that Lexan is more brittle. I can't tell you if it's enough to make a huge difference, but I just stick with PETG.

2. For straight lines you can score and snap the PETG. For curves I use either a jigsaw or Dremel with a cutting wheel. With any power method stay at a low/med speed or you'll melt the plastic.

3. I clean up the edges (especially if I've used a jigsaw) with a file (jewelers files--I think that's what they're called--work great for the finish work) or a Dremel with an engraving cutter (looks like a mini router bit).

4. I finish up the edges with the Dremel, a buffing tool and white rouge.

I've seen a lot of people recommend using a woodworking kit, consisting of a soldering iron with an X-Acto blade. I've never had much luck with that technique, but maybe it's just me.

http://pinballrehab.com/1-articles/pinball-restoration/ramps-and-plastics/186-recreating-plastics?highlight=WyJsZXhhbiJd

#6 10 years ago

If you haven't seen it, look at this post by Jeff Hecht.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-i-recreate-plastics#post-1289147

#7 10 years ago

Man...you guys are the best!

I love this place,
    Ryan Claytor
    Elephant Eater Comics
    www.ElephantEater.com

#8 10 years ago
    Quoted from terryb:

Hey Ryan,
    1. There are several differences between Lexan and PETG, but the important one is that Lexan is more brittle. I can't tell you if it's enough to make a huge difference, but I just stick with PETG.
    2. For straight lines you can score and snap the PETG. For curves I use either a jigsaw or Dremel with a cutting wheel. With any power method stay at a low/med speed or you'll melt the plastic.
    3. I clean up the edges (especially if I've used a jigsaw) with a file (jewelers files--I think that's what they're called--work great for the finish work) or a Dremel with an engraving cutter (looks like a mini router bit).
    4. I finish up the edges with the Dremel, a buffing tool and white rouge.
    I've seen a lot of people recommend using a woodworking kit, consisting of a soldering iron with an X-Acto blade. I've never had much luck with that technique, but maybe it's just me.
    http://pinballrehab.com/1-articles/pinball-restoration/ramps-and-plastics/186-recreating-plastics?highlight=WyJsZXhhbiJd

Holy Smokes is that alot of work.. Lasers are the way to go here.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/questions-about-plastics and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.