5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by tbaum
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tbaum.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

I'm getting very close to buying my first pin, but wanted to know about the process of picking up and setting it up at home.

I get that pinball machines are very heavy, so what's the best way to move them (is it just a matter of two strong people carrying it). Anything I should know about getting it to my place (taking the legs off etc?).

Not sure if there's anything else I should know, but I appreciate any and all advice!

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from Travish:

"Buying my first pin". Hope you got plenty of room. Who needs a dining room, living room or a garage anyway?

I'm moving to the midwest - so I've suddenly got a plethora of space that I think a pinball machine (or two) could fill

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

Lots of stuff. Search topic "moving pins" on pinside and you will find many threads on the subject.
    Some basics:
    Each location is different, and so are the pins. Find out as much information about both ahead of time to develop a plan and be prepared. Ask/know:
    Where the game is. Are there stairs? Driveway, vehicle access, obstacles.
    Find out how the game disassembled and make sure you can fit it in your vehicle. Take a tape measure. Does the head come off, or fold down? Does the owner have the keys?
    Make sure all loose parts, coin box, and balls are removed before transport. Backglasses are best transported separately and carefully. Heads are often removed or folded down and strapped to the game.
    If you are using two (strong) people, the typical ,carry process is to remove the back legs first, lower the back to the ground, then tip up the front and remove front legs. Most games have small furniture sliders on the back, as they are intended to be transported in this position at some time. From there it can be carried or loaded on a dolly. Some prefer moving straps. Take rests and be careful, no getting injured moving a pin! If someone needs a rest, the person on the back end lowers to the ground first, game tilted up to rest on its back.
    Tools. You can never have too many. A ratchet and wrench set. Screwdrivers, a drill and bits. Removable painters tape and marker for labeling. Blankets and cardboard for packing and protecting. Flashlight. Ratchet straps or roll of stretch wrap.
    There's more, but we need to know more details about the location coming from and going to. What game are you getting?

Thanks for the details. I think it's going to be a Whirlwind that I saw on here recently - game seems to be in good shape, but the cabinet is a bit scratched up. Seems like one I could get used to taking care of a machine with, without spending a huge amount.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tbaum.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/questions-about-picking-up-and-moving-a-pin?tu=tbaum and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.