(Topic ID: 325514)

Questions about cleaning difficult dirt from a Playfield.

By dunkaroo

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by dunkaroo
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image3 (resized).jpg
image2 (resized).jpg
image1 (resized).jpg
image0 (resized).jpg
#1 1 year ago

Hey guys! So I've been using Vid's guide to clean the playfield of a pin I picked up, and I'm running into some difficulties. I'm using the Magic Eraser + Alcohol method, but I'm thinking that I'm being too delicate. After an initial clean up, I noticed that the method hadn't really picked up dirt from the ball dimples, from areas around the mylar, or in vertical grooves in the paint. Any recommendations on how to dig that dirt up? Also, should I be replacing the mylar outright, or is there a method to cleaning that area?

Additionally, I noticed that three of the inserts sit slightly above the plane of the playfield. Is this common for early 80's pins? Is it something I should even address or is it fine?

Thanks in advance!

image0 (resized).jpgimage0 (resized).jpgimage1 (resized).jpgimage1 (resized).jpgimage2 (resized).jpgimage2 (resized).jpgimage3 (resized).jpgimage3 (resized).jpg
#2 1 year ago

Those are ball swirls and planking cracks.
That's not going to clean off. It's IN the surface.

You could try to pull that mylar, but odds are that some paint is going to come with it.

You can re-level the inserts, and it may be worth the effort, depending on how bad they are.

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from RCA1:

Those are ball swirls and planking cracks.
That's not going to clean off. It's IN the surface.
You could try to pull that mylar, but odds are that some paint is going to come with it.

That's what I was thinking. I'm planning on doing a full restoration on the playfield, so I'm comfortable with repainting the areas that need it. I appreciate the insight.

#4 1 year ago

You could get rid of some ball swirls with a magic eraser, but you can also sand through the paint with them too. If you are comfortable with painting, then I would go that route. The inserts can be heated from the bottom side and releveled. Just go slow with the heat gun so you dont melt the insert.

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from SpyroFTW:

You could get rid of some ball swirls with a magic eraser, but you can also sand through the paint with them too. If you are comfortable with painting, then I would go that route. The inserts can be heated from the bottom side and releveled. Just go slow with the heat gun so you dont melt the insert.

Perfect! That was the exact advice I was looking for.

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from SpyroFTW:

Quoted from dunkaroo:

Perfect! That was the exact advice I was looking for.

Caution: when using magic eraser, you're actually removing the protective topcoat and leaving bare paint. You will need to clear the playfield or put down mylar or the paint will wear off *very* quickly.

#7 1 year ago

You can only do so much. Get the flakes off where you can, spot paint around the PF, level/re-glue inserts, repaint keylimes, and then protect.

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Caution: when using magic eraser, you're actually removing the protective topcoat and leaving bare paint. You will need to clear the playfield or put down mylar or the paint will wear off *very* quickly.

Yeah, I should have been a bit clearer -- I'm cleaning the playfield right now with the expectation of repainting and resealing it soon. I'm waiting on some supplies, but I'll likely start right before Thanksgiving.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 125.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Copenhagen
$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/questions-about-cleaning-difficult-dirt-from-a-playfield and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.