10 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by cgdexpx
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

In the past I have asked this question before without much luck. But checking back here after a year or so I see I missed some discussion on the subject,

The above names an sites I have checked out . I know I have to get out there somehow before I purchase.
    I have seen Herb Silvers get some good recommendations here an some real bad things said about him like he is a crook,

I have no skills to restore a game. I work overtime to pay for a game I am not rich. I understand the comments here about the restorations being overpriced . But some hit it on the head. Meaning I want a restored game as close to as new as possible . I will pay the price of 2500.00 to 3500.00 for perhaps titles many here do not think are worthy.
    But my goal is one or two show pieces , I don't intend to sell them an what becomes of them will be up to my kids someday.
    My question can I trust any of the above names ? Any recommendations on them ?

#2 10 years ago

No body was born with skills. We learn them.

Instead of worrying about anyone else, why not pick up a game and bring it up to speed yourself.

Plenty of good help right here. You'll get the sanctification of a job well done. And leave your kids your game. Not crap you bought.

Get them involved too. You'll all have precious memories.

LTG : )

#3 10 years ago
    Quoted from cgdexpx:

I have seen Herb Silvers get some good recommendations here an some real bad things said about him like he is a crook,

My question can I trust any of the above names ? Any recommendations on them ?

My vote is to avoid Herb and you won't get what you want from him for the prices you quoted anyways.
    I don't know the others you mentioned. Not easy to find someone to fully restore older games though, at least in my experience.
    Good luck!

#4 10 years ago

Pinhead you are dead wrong on skill sets . My Grandfather was a finish carpenter back in the day 1919 era . I inherited none of his skills. My Father in law can build repair anything. One of my sons could pick something up from the time he was 5 an figure out what was wrong an fix it.
    I have seen this with shooting skills , someone who never shot a gun before the Academy can hit 300 out of 300 . But whats amazing is that the groups is so tight dead center that most bullets go through the same hole .
    Others like myself have to practice ,practice just to be adequate.

I look at a pinball machine an see a maze of wires. Yes with many hours I might be able to do something but I will never bring it into a full restoration.

Same goes for cars someone who does engines is probably not going to paint the car to perfection.

#5 10 years ago

I have read a few good things about the pinball pimp on a pinball site maybe here. Pinballpickers stuff looks good on you tube.
    I realize most here will never buy a restored game but ........ maybe they have run across some. A retail seller told me the games he has acquired from people who were done by Herb were over the top but his work may have declined.

Herb talks great on phone.

Any help is appreciated.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/questions-about-bordens-herb-fab-fapinballpimppinballpickerspinball-revival and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.