By kechlesurf

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Good Morning,

Not sure if this is the correct place to ask this question but has to do with a condition of a Roadshow I found. I have been looking for one for a while but have not been able to find one under the 4k mark (with shipping or pricing in picking it up). I found a cheap Roadshow and the description is "heavily routed, re-import, and typical fish wear. I am ok with fixing cosmetic issues as the cabinet needs a little work and the machine works and can be a long term project that I can "beautify" over time.

I understand heavily routed means it was used in an arcade and most likely for a long period of time. But the question I have is more about the re-import. The machine came from Europe but has been in the states for a while, should I be concerned that this could cause any issues? I would assume it has been re-wired already to work in the US (has LED's). The price of this machine is to good to pass up, but kind of want to know what I am getting myself into and what concerns I should have before I pick the machine up. If anyone has any thoughts and advice, it would be very much appreciated. Thanks and have a great day.

#2 6 years ago
Quoted from kechlesurf:

he machine came from Europe but has been in the states for a while, should I be concerned that this could cause any issues

I don't think it's a problem. Mine is a re-import, I think. I really don't care one way or the other. If you're fine with the heavily routed part, you probably don't care if it was on route in Texas or Siberia. There are people who are purists about machine history and would never buy a re-import. There are others who don't care. You can decide for yourself.

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

I don't think it's a problem. Mine is a re-import, I think. I really don't care one way or the other. If you're fine with the heavily routed part, you probably don't care if it was on route in Texas or Siberia. There are people who are purists about machine history and would never buy a re-import. There are others who don't care. You can decide for yourself.

I dont care. As long as it works and does have any issues, I am happy. IF I could afford it, of course i would want to buy a model that is not re-import and in awesome condition, but it is hard to pass this deal up

#4 6 years ago

I'd be more worried about the condition of some of the hard to find parts over if it was a re-import at all. It's not like WMS sent lower quality parts to Europe.

The plastics for the faces, ramps, shaker motor parts and even the translite are hard to come by. Keep that in mind with the price.

#5 6 years ago

Road show is one of those games that you get exactly what you pay for. If it was heavily routed you can expect to have to take those heads out pretty soon. Import makes it extremely hard to resell and fish wear is a the definitive way on this game to tell how worn it is. I personally wouldn’t not look at one for sale if it had fish wear. I spent about $3400 for one with the heads rebuilt and pretty clean playfield.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from Mrawesome44:

Road show is one of those games that you get exactly what you pay for. If it was heavily routed you can expect to have to take those heads out pretty soon. Import makes it extremely hard to resell and fish wear is a the definitive way on this game to tell how worn it is. I personally wouldn’t not look at one for sale if it had fish wear. I spent about $3400 for one with the heads rebuilt and pretty clean playfield.

good point, It has a new DMD,NOS plastic set included, 5 pcs cabinet art included, head parts included. Has fancy topper, cliffy, and plays well.

#7 6 years ago

And if i could find one for $3400 that was rebuilt and clean, i would jump on it. Found some for close to that price but seller wouldnt ship it and the cost to drive down there and pick it up made it to expensive and not worth it

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from kechlesurf:

good point, It has a new DMD,NOS plastic set included, 5 pcs cabinet art included, head parts included. Has fancy topper, cliffy, and plays well.

If your planning on taking the time to do all that. Depending on the overall playfield wear I would consider it.

I personally feel you. It took a good while to not find a busted RS. All I can say is a lot of people have bought rs that need work then quickly have become overwhelmed. Pin is a pita. How much is the pin? Im estimating 3k

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from Mrawesome44:

If your planning on taking the time to do all that. Depending on the overall playfield wear I would consider it.
I personally feel you. It took a good while to not find a busted RS. All I can say is a lot of people have bought rs that need work then quickly have become overwhelmed. Pin is a pita. How much is the pin? Im estimating 3k

Getting it for around 2700, doubt he will come down any further when i get there and see that there is more damage and stuff to fix then described.

#10 6 years ago

Taking the heads out to fix them is way, way overblown around here. And I say that as a guy with a broken Ted as my Avatar.

Red comes out super easy.

Ted is a lot more work, but he only needs to come totally out to work on the eyes, which doesn't effect gameplay at all, which is why he is broken on all the routed games. Besides, it's all stuff you need to remove to properly clean the game anyways.

#12 6 years ago

Rs in working order in just fair condition sldnt be no more than 3k imo. Ive seen plenty around that pricepoint.

#13 6 years ago

I have found some for $3500 that look good but they were in Florida and having a 9 hour drive there and back along with rental and all that fun stuff makes it expensive/not worth it.

#14 6 years ago

I think you are overpaying. First the plastics aren't NOS. Those have been unobtainium forever. They are likely the reproductions that have been available for more than a year. The art package is nice, but it depends on who it is from. PhoenixArcade's were spectacular but have been out of production for several years. I've seen a lot of crap art. Cliffy's are cheap. Head parts aren't hard to find, it's just the actual heads themselves. The topper is a bonus if it's the one with the beacon lights.

And, while I have no problem with reimports, my experience is they tend to have far more hacks than US games and some of those hacks are downright dangerous/ridiculous. You can still get a nice RS for around $3K.

So, if you want to do the work, then take the deal and expect some surprises with fixing the game that might add cost. If you want a game you can play reliably, be more patient.

#15 6 years ago

Games sent overseas are basically identical - same parts, boards, and code. I believe the concern is largely over corrosion. These games spent lengthy times on boats at sea. I don't think it is much of an issue but reimports are generally less desirable. That can be a good thing if you are not picky since it translates to a lower price. Big things are always condition and price. Check boards and under playfield. Surprised you have not found one for less than $4000. I am not in the market but seen most go for $3500 or less. Some even less than $3000.

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from purplemunkydishw:

Red comes out super easy.
Ted is a lot more work, but he only needs to come totally out to work on the eyes, which doesn't effect gameplay at all,

When i reworked mine, red, super easy. Ted, not so much. If I had removed all the ramps and not trying all the stupid things to not do it, it would have been done in no time. Working on the heads themselves is super easy.
Nothing to dread if you remove all the things around first and not be lazy, it will cost you.

#17 6 years ago

Something to consider, not all game specific parts for RS have been remade, not just the plastics.
There is NO difference in exported or domestic games except transformer settings and coin doors.
This enthusiast fallacy came of the reimport era before 2005, based on resellers trying to pitch higher prices for US games, or even hide the fact they were exported to increase sales.

"Good deals" on this title are fleeting today, because potential owners don't know what is missing and find out late the game already had been stripped. There are a number of unique PCBs as well, some are repairable, some are difficult, based on parts or experience.

Know this title well, and it's associated Achilles heels.

My company is piecing together another working version from two games, due to this exact problem and are using my experience based on ownership/restoration of a sample game for nearly 20 years.

Keep flipping

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

4,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richmond, VA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 37.50
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
$ 63.95
$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 26.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Boards
Slap Save Creations

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/questions-about-a-roadshow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.