Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by DBLM
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_9826 (resized).JPG
    IMG_9790 (resized).JPG
    2CFEA463-1674-4E63-AFE2-BAF6B37FCA8A (resized).jpeg
    808C0E3F-45ED-490A-ABCE-0A6E599A4138 (resized).jpeg
    0BD016BD-6D20-40E8-9C67-CD174F4D6955 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DBLM.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#13 2 years ago

What switches are you using? Based upon that, different WIFI switches wire up differently. For example, I am using Leviton ZWave switches. With those, you have a primary (expensive switch) as the master and a cheaper companion switch hooked up as the secondary switch via the traveler. These require a neutral. If your wifi switch does not have a coordinating companion switch, you might need two wifi switches. There are some switches that need a neutral and some that don't. Lutron and Eaton (as well as a bunch of others) make switches that don't need neutrals.

#21 2 years ago

Hey OP, this is from some questions and answers on that switch that you bought. It seems like you might need to switch a red and black wire. Might check into this.

"So when i first installed this in to my Sept 2019 built home, all the wires seems simple, the two blacks go to the two blacks, Green to ground which is the bare wire and white goes to white and Red go to red. WRONG! Do not follow the color scheme which is what made me want to return the item until I realized it was my fault. When I hooked everything up as stated above, the light comes on, the switch works, it linked up to the Simple Life app and Alexa works. The tricky part was when I went to the OTHER switch, the one without the "smart switch". I turned that off and it turned off the lights and then when I tried to turn on with the smart switch, it did not turn on. Some 3-way smart switch requires a "add-on" switch which is required to be installed on the other switch but went with this one due to "you just need one". I was about to return this until I decided to read the instruction... GREAT! The instruction says, the two black are "transfer wires" while the Red is the common wire (black power). So I had to switch one of the Black wire (common) with the red wire (Transfer wire), that solved the issue! Sometimes, its not the company or the switch fault that something doesn't work.... it most likely be user error."

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DBLM.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/question-wiring-a-wifi-3-way-switch?tu=DBLM and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.