• Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen_Shot_2013-07-17_at_9.56.25_AM.png
#1 10 years ago

Hello All!

I currently have Display Version V2.0 and CPU 2.01 for TSPP. I would like to update to the most recent Rom's, I believe its 5.0?

However, I have no idea how to do this. I understand I can buy the chip and its located someplace around the DMD. But I am noob to updating the Rom's. Anyone have any advice on how to do this for TSPP and where to get the correct rom's. I do see them for sale on Ebay.

ebay.com link: Stern The Simpsons Pinball Party CPU and Display ROM Upgrade Set 5 0

Thank you!!

#2 10 years ago

John Wart Jr @ http://thatpinballplace.com/ is great to deal with and very knowledgeable when it comes to game ROMs.

I'm sure he can get you hooked up and on the road to proper ROM replacement.

EDIT: I just noticed your ebay link was from one of his listings.

#3 10 years ago

Oh, cool. I emailed him and he says the Ebay Auction is what I need. I placed the order I may comment again when I get it.

#4 10 years ago

This PDF: http://sternpinball.com/downloads/sb150.pdf was also very helpful. It talks about how to pop them out.

Step 2: Insert a small flat-blade screw-driver between the
EPROM & Socket.

Step 3: DO NOT PRY! With a left-to-right gentle twisting
motion lift the EPROM partially out of the socket. Remove the
screw-driver and insert between the EPROM & Socket on the
opposite end. Repeat the left-to-right twisting motion. Now the EPROM can safely be removed.
Insertion of the new EPROM: Ensure the pins on the EPROM are straight and in-line. If any pins are bent, carefully
straighten using a flat surface. The EPROM "notched" end should align with the side indicated on the board with a
screened "notch" or with the "notch" on the EPROM Socket itself.
Note: All I.C.’s on the boards are laid out with their "notch" on the same side (all in the same direction), use the other
I.C.’s on the board for reference. Now the EPROM can safely be pushed into the socket without bending any of the pins.
Line up the pins to the holes on 1-side (Pins 1-16) of the socket & EPROM first. Do NOT push in at this point. With the
pins slightly in the holes of the socket on the one side, gently tilt the EPROM so the pins on the other side match up to the
holes of the socket. Gentle pressure may be required to guide all the pins into the holes at the same time.
Screen_Shot_2013-07-17_at_9.56.25_AM.pngScreen_Shot_2013-07-17_at_9.56.25_AM.png

3 weeks later
#5 10 years ago

Great thread I just picked up a TSPP with 4.0, and I searched to find out info regarding the 5.0. I just ordered the upgraded ROM from John thanks Dug! Looks like the new software prevents the mystery award competition run like Bowen did in the tutorial video I wonder what software version he was on.

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from Frankenator:

Looks like the new software prevents the mystery award competition run like Bowen did in the tutorial video I wonder what software version he was on.

Well his extensive rulesheet linked off of IPDB was in 2003 and states he was on Version 2.0 when he wrote that. I would imagine he probably filmed around that time as well.

http://www.ipdb.org/rulesheets/4674/tspp-rulesheet.txt

#7 10 years ago

Thanks to this thread and all of the links, I'm now safely updated to version 5. Now all I have to do is achieve my high scores again

7 years later
#8 3 years ago

Reviving this thread as a noob, just bought a TSPP and it says display version 5 when I boot up but I don’t think the software is the latest version. How do I check to see what software version I am running? Thanks for the help!

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from bsw402:

Reviving this thread as a noob, just bought a TSPP and it says display version 5 when I boot up but I don’t think the software is the latest version. How do I check to see what software version I am running? Thanks for the help!

Set them game to slow boot in the settings and it should tell you on the screen.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 135.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 218.00
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Gainesville, GA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Cherry Hills Village, CO
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

8,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pearl River, NY
$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
$ 16.00
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

9,899 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/question-upgrade-tspp-rom-to-50 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.