• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
image.jpg
#1 11 years ago

So we got our first NIB pinball Tron last night. We have played maybe 20ish games on it. Tonight i get home to play and watch my kids play first. While watching them play i was checking out the Disc area trying to see what makes the ball zoom around. (BTW extremly loud) and i notice some dents in the playfield. Dents really? I have owned several other pinballs and dont remeber seeing anything to this nature.

So I have 15+ dents on the playfield on a two day NIB pinball. The cabinet side was already damaged in production which Patrick at Stern was very friendly and offered new decal for the side. I just send an email to Patrick to see what is going on.

Just want to know if this is a common issue with other Tron pinballs.

Thanks, image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#2 11 years ago

Check out this thread regarding the dimples on your Tron Pro, I've got them as well and I think everyone else does as well (totally normal):

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-tron-pro-playfield-gettin-dimples

At least I'm assuming what you're looking at is dimples, if it's indeed dents well then that sounds like trouble.

#3 11 years ago
Quoted from sarconus:

So we got our first NIB pinball Tron last night. We have played maybe 20ish games on it. Tonight i get home to play and watch my kids play first. While watching them play i was checking out the Disc area trying to see what makes the ball zoom around. (BTW extremly loud) and i notice some dents in the playfield. Dents really? I have owned several other pinballs and dont remeber seeing anything to this nature.
So I have 15+ dents on the playfield on a two day NIB pinball. The cabinet side was already damaged in production which Patrick at Stern was very friendly and offered new decal for the side. I just send an email to Patrick to see what is going on.
Just want to know if this is a common issue with other Tron pinballs.
Thanks,

Grats on the Tron. Dimples are totally normal. I had some cab decal damage too and Chas took care of me with a new decal also. I'm just gonna hang onto it and perhaps change it later. My disc has not been loud to my ears during normal play with glass on. You can hear it, but not a bother to me.

#4 11 years ago

Okay good to know. This is my first Stern pinball and i dont remeber seeing these kinds of dimples on Getaway or X-Files.

#5 11 years ago

The dimples are normal. My spinning disc made a lot of noise at first too. I did not make any alterations to it, although some owners did put a drop of oil somewhere on the shaft near a bearing. It seems to be better now that it has had some use (unless I just got used to the noise and don't notice it anymore).
I'm surprised to hear that so many buyers found damage to their cabinet sides. Enjoy...its a great game.

#6 11 years ago

Does anyone have any issues with balls hitting the light cycles toys on the ramps? or a lot of air born balls? First thing i did was adjust the pitch of game to 6.5 or center of the two lines and check the playfield to level. I get a few air balls each game which seems odd.

#7 11 years ago

Sounds like your built-in bubble is off. Do not trust it. Try setting the playfield with a true level placed directly on the playfield. I'm guessing you will find that the pitch is currently much higher than 6.5, which would cause the issue you are experiencing.

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from sarconus:

Does anyone have any issues with balls hitting the light cycles toys on the ramps?

Holy air balls! The Pro I play on location (likely hundreds of games since its release), I have NEVER had any air balls hit the cycles. And rarely get any air balls in general.

#9 11 years ago

I've had a good number of airballs hit the right spotlight, a number of them land on top of the recognizer plastic, but none anywhere near the light cycles.

#10 11 years ago

I just had the LED on top of pop bumper get chopped off by an air ball..

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from sarconus:

I get a few air balls each game which seems odd.

That's not normal. Check for level and look at make sure zuse targets are in correct alignment and foamed properly.

#12 11 years ago

Why does this come up like every three days when it's been explained to death and back? You should see mine. ~500 plays and looks like the surface of the moon. Doesn't affect ball travel at all.

#13 11 years ago

Third day of ownership and now I have insert wear on light cycle in middle of playfield. Is this normal too?

#14 11 years ago

That's weird my playfield on my new tron hasn't really dimpled at all

#15 11 years ago

I've had dimpling on all of my games in the past (four) to some extent or another. My HUO BDK that I just picked up has about 500 games and the playfield is as smooth as glass. Are the dimples coming or am I in the clear as far as dimples go? Thanks.

#16 11 years ago

Here are screen shots

#17 11 years ago

My BBH never dimples. Solid as a rock.

#18 11 years ago

Your game is broken!!!!

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Your game is broken!!!!

This is my first NIB purchase. Issues like this within three days makes the experience less exciting. I've owned 20 year old pinballs with less issues.

#20 11 years ago

Dimples are not an issue. Probably every game you own has some. You just don't notice them because the PFs are not new.

#21 11 years ago

Sorry. A 20 year old game has been beat in to normal wear. A new game will dimple until you can't tell anymore. Just do what they did when they unboxed your old games. Play the heck out of it : )

#22 11 years ago

John Greatwitch talked at Expo about how plywood sold today is much softer than plywood sold 30 yrs ago. I wouldn't worry about the dimpling, as others have said eventually it will all blend in the end.

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from sarconus:

Third day of ownership and now I have insert wear on light cycle in middle of playfield. Is this normal too?

This sounds bad, compared to the original post, which sounds normal. I'd be interested in seeing a pic, but looks like it never came through?

#24 11 years ago

I have damage on RHS of cab also and Stern also sent me a new decal its not to bad but NIB it shouldn't be there. PF Dimples everywhere.

#25 11 years ago
Quoted from starfighter:

John Greatwitch talked at Expo about how plywood sold today is much softer than plywood sold 30 yrs ago. .

John Greatwich deals with taking old, already compressed playfields and reprinting them. By the time a playfield is worn enough to need a complete reprinting, it is going to be VERY compressed.

The APA stated that today's plywood, species for species, grade for grade, is harder and stronger than plywood 40 years ago in their 2009 study.

If anyone thought that dimpling was an actual problem, they would have switched to a harder playfield plywood decades ago. You can get lumber core plywood with Hard Maple cores all the way through.

#26 11 years ago

Dimpling is normal - insert wear, that probably shouldnt happen on a three day old game

#27 11 years ago
Quoted from sarconus:

are you sure it's wear and not just dirt? Try rubbing it with some novus. Tron gets very dirty (another topic that has been talked to death).

#28 11 years ago

I think he is referring to the 2nd picture above where the black line is rubbed off the border

#29 11 years ago
Quoted from fusion301:

Dimpling is normal - insert wear, that probably shouldnt happen on a three day old game

Yep. Dimpling is normal. It looks like the clear chipped and is worn on the top of the lightcycle insert. That is not normal for a NIB ame with a few plays IMHO.

#30 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

John Greatwich deals with taking old, already compressed playfields and reprinting them. By the time a playfield is worn enough to need a complete reprinting, it is going to be VERY compressed.
The APA stated that today's plywood, species for species, grade for grade, is harder and stronger than plywood 40 years ago in their 2009 study.
If anyone thought that dimpling was an actual problem, they would have switched to a harder playfield plywood decades ago. You can get lumber core plywood with Hard Maple cores all the way through.

In your opinion, what is the reason for the dimpling if the plywood is not the culprit? John states that he believes the plywood IS the reason. I don't know enough about the artwork/playfield creation process, but I am curious if is the art or the wood being compressed.

#31 11 years ago

The "art" is just outdoor sign paint, screened onto a wood playfield, sometimes covered with a clear coat .

Take a heavy steel ball and drop it onto almost any wood, even Ebony, and it will leave a dimple.

Hell, drop a heavy steel ball on the roof of your car and it will leave a dimple.

This is just completely normal physics; the steel ball is harder than wood.

Even if you screen art onto the wood, a thin layer of ink is not going to make the wood harder than steel.

Even if you spray a layer of clear coat, the clear coat is not going to make the wood harder than steel.

Take a look at this proof:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-dimple-reality-check

#32 11 years ago

Vid, thanks for the heads up.

I think Robin should make your other thread a sticky to keep this subject from popping up all the time.

#33 11 years ago

Seriously. Why is this such a difficult concept to grasp?
The sky is falling! Dimples on my playfield! My flipper rubbers are turning black! The sun is setting!

#34 11 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Yep. Dimpling is normal. It looks like the clear chipped and is worn on the top of the lightcycle insert. That is not normal for a NIB ame with a few plays IMHO.

I think that spot looks like a screening error. I'm surprised it wasn't noticed before the game was played a few days though.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 350.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Trade
$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Willington, DE
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/question-tron-pinball-latest-run-concerns and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.