IMG_20140322_090524_863.jpg
IMG_20140322_094254_552.jpg
Estes.jpg
image-47.jpg
estes-express-lines_1371839094.jpg
IMG_3687.JPG
IMG_3686.JPG
IMG_3685.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider BooyaNY.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#135 10 years ago

This will not help OP's case but if anyone reading this ever come across a case of damage, and especially in cases of concealed damage (e.g., box looks fine but contents is damaged), your first step is to call the delivering terminal immediately and ask to speak with someone in OS&D (short for Overages, Shortages & Damages). Their primary job is to take notes of your case and, if needed, advise you on what to do next. The faster you notify OS&D, the stronger your case will be when filing a claim. Get the person's name, email address (to send pics, verify things in writing, etc.), and keep notes of when you spoke to him or her.

Although this action is not nearly as good as signing the POD (proof of delivery or delivery receipt) with noted damages, notifying OS&D as soon as you can is truly the next best thing.

And never be afraid to sign the POD noting even the slightest scratches. These drivers are used to it. Some warehouses we work with will do just that to protect themselves from liability.

What drivers do hate is when you take too much of their time. But don't let that bother you and it's their problem, not yours. It's your money and your machine, so look over it carefully. Just don't go too crazy. For a small shipment like this, they normally allot around 20 minutes of free time. Plenty of time for you to inspect the packaging for forklift holes, any sign that the box was dropped, etc.

#138 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Now think of the Ultimate Nightmare:
You buy a NIB like BBB and it has unnoticed concealed damage from 6 years ago.

Lol so true. OT: Worst case for me is someone shipping 3 crates described as exhibition goods. So I'm thinking it's booth materials, pamphlets, swags, etc. Shipped them with a common LTL trucker. Delivered with forklift holes in 2 of the 3 crates (so common).

While gathering documents to file a claim on our client's behalf, I get a commercial invoice for $6,000,000 described as unique artwork!!! Unique artwork are considered prohibited goods by most common carriers. Claim denied completely for shipping prohibited goods and mis-declared freight.

There are specialized carriers for this type of stuff. Someone was just trying to save a few bucks.

#151 10 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

The scary thing for a lot of us is getting a shipment that looks fine on the outside only to discover damage after opening the box later. Is supplemental insurance generally available to cover such a loss? I have only ever shipped one pin with a freight company. I use Don at pinballsonthemove.com whenever possible, but that wouldn't work for a NIB from Stern.

Concealed damage is always a nightmare. If there's no outside sign of damage, the burden of proof is on us to demonstrate that the damage was caused due to mishandling by the carrier. Otherwise, they're going to deny the claim. The most common reasons I see are:

- Improper packaging suitable for transport.
- Insufficient packaging suitable for transport.

There is an inherent risk shipping a used pin because of all the mechanical parts. As long as the carrier did not outright drop the pin, put a forklift fork through it, or crush it by stacking something heavy on top, the carrier will deny liability for things that come loose or breaks in transit. More leeway is given to shipments from a known manufacturer shipped in original packaging, but not to one time shippers.

Cargo insurance is pretty much the same...is has to be established that damage was caused due to mishandling, and not through the normal course of transportation.

Personally, I would not ship a pin with a common carrier on standard service. No forklift is going anywhere near my pin. I'll pay the extra $ for white glove service with a trucker that will load/unload by hand. Otherwise, I'll buy locally.

#183 10 years ago

Wow that is outstanding service!! If/when I decide to purchase an NIB, I'm going to reach out to you.

Hopefully you can get Estes to ship the damaged pin back to you under free astray. You can then inspect the damages and come up with a repair cost. A mitigated claim for the repairs is more likely to get paid than a claim for the full value. You won't be able to sell it as new but it's sure better than nothing.

Quoted from Gexchange:

About an hour ago I got to send the best email Ive gotten to send in a week! Game Exchange is replacing the Metallica Pro. New one will ship tomorrow. Will deal with the freight company and eat the loss. Can't let the OP's first NIB purchase be crappy now can we!
JJ

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.50
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,600 (OBO)
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hot Springs, AR
$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elgin, OK
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 29.95
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider BooyaNY.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/question-regarding-damage-on-stern-nib?tu=BooyaNY and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.