(Topic ID: 293632)

Question on vehicle titles

By PantherCityPins

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 2 years ago

So I’m looking for a first car for my daughter. I found a 2015 Hyundai Sonata for sale from a used car dealer with 55000 miles on it for $9500 asking. I was a little suspicious of the price but I called and spoke to the dealer and was assured the title was clean. I get to the dealer and look at the car, it’s clear there has been an accident and a mediocre repair to the passenger side front quarter panel, the hood gaps were off and the paint had orange peel. So, I ask to see the Carfax on it and the dealer shows me that the car was declared a total loss by insurance about 8 months ago due to an impact on the right front.

Dealer says the title is still clean because there was no frame damage and the airbags didn’t deploy. I thought any total loss accident would mean a salvage or rebuilt title?

Needless to say I walked away from that car but I’m curious about the title issue? Anyone have experience?

#2 2 years ago
    Quoted from PantherCityPins:

So I’m looking for a first car for my daughter. I found a 2015 Hyundai Sonata for sale from a used car dealer with 55000 miles on it for $9500 asking. I was a little suspicious of the price but I called and spoke to the dealer and was assured the title was clean. I get to the dealer and look at the car, it’s clear there has been an accident and a mediocre repair to the passenger side front quarter panel, the hood gaps were off and the paint had orange peel. So, I ask to see the Carfax on it and the dealer shows me that the car was declared a total loss by insurance about 8 months ago due to an impact on the right front.
    Dealer says the title is still clean because there was no frame damage and the airbags didn’t deploy. I thought any total loss accident would mean a salvage or rebuilt title?
    Needless to say I walked away from that car but I’m curious about the title issue? Anyone have experience?

A total loss should be a salvage or rebuilt title, yes.

I've owned two such cars, and I'm actually driving one around right now. Got a 1 year old Kia Soul with 13k miles for less than half of what it cost brand new (it's loaded, full sun roof, even has AC in the seats, costs about 30k brand new). No issues in the 2+ years I've owned it.

The salesman doesn't know the real answer and was making it up on the spot, me thinks. Or his version of "clean" is different.

#3 2 years ago

I thought any total loss accident would mean a salvage or rebuilt title?

That's how it works in Florida. I can't imagine being different in other states.

#4 2 years ago

Could be a situation where the title was "washed" (branded in one state, but lost the branding in a different state).

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from rad:

Could be a situation where the title was "washed" (branded in one state, but lost the branding in a different state).

VERY good point. This trick however is usually only used on high end vehicles but certainly possible.

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from ThePinballCo-op:

A total loss should be a salvage or rebuilt title, yes.
    I've owned two such cars, and I'm actually driving one around right now. Got a 1 year old Kia Soul with 13k miles for less than half of what it cost brand new (it's loaded, full sun roof, even has AC in the seats, costs about 30k brand new). No issues in the 2+ years I've owned it.
    The salesman doesn't know the real answer and was making it up on the spot, me thinks. Or his version of "clean" is different.

That’s what I thought too. I’m not against rebuilt title cars, the only issue I have is that I really have no way of knowing how well the repair was done and I’m not car savvy enough to figure it out on my own. For those reasons I only buy clean title cars.

#7 2 years ago

I wrecked my jeep once and the insurance company considered it a total loss. I "bought it back" from the insurance company and nothing ever changed with my title. Basically they were going to scrap it or sell it at auction or whatever since it was a total loss, but I told them I wanted to keep it so I payed like 600 bucks or whatever small amount it was and it stayed in my possession. Fixed it up with the rest of the insurance payout and drove it for a long time after that.

#8 2 years ago

call your dept of motor vehicles and ask for the title status,If you tell them you may purchase but need to know this fact.You will need a license plate or vin number.

#9 2 years ago

I just went through the same thing. I'm stuck buying a car in Salt Lake city. They have branded cars everywhere. The problem is when it has a rebuilt title there it is branded for the life of the car. So if you want to sell it there its expected to have 30% took off the price of a "clean" title car.

#10 2 years ago

I just went through the same thing looking for a car for my kids. Prices are just crazy. Something you think is a fair deal turns out where the car has issues like this. Anything decent seems to go real fast. Bad time to buy a car I guess. Everyone has extra money from covid and govt checks. I eventually bought a 2016 Hyundai Elantra. Paid more than I really wanted but it was fairly clean and low miles.

Technically clean title means title does not have salvage, rebuilt, or other tags on it. Car could still be involved in accidents but if totalled, I would think that would brand the title. Title laws vary between states so maybe your state does things different. I think you did the right thing walking away. You might be able to find a good deal on something like this but I wouldn't want my own daughter driving something sketchy just to save a few bucks. My boys, maybe lol.

#11 2 years ago

...the only issue I have is that I really have no way of knowing how well the repair was done and I’m not car savvy enough to figure it out on my own.

Based on your previous quote...

I get to the dealer and look at the car, it’s clear there has been an accident and a mediocre repair to the passenger side front quarter panel, the hood gaps were off and the paint had orange peel.

....looks like you ARE savvy enough to spot poor repairs. Good job on avoiding what would have most likely been a problem child down the road.

Later,
    EV

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from EchoVictor:

Based on your previous quote...

....looks like you ARE savvy enough to spot poor repairs. Good job on avoiding what would have most likely been a problem child down the road.
    Later,
    EV

Well, I know how to look at a panel gap!

Thanks!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/question-on-vehicle-titles and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.