Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by philwojo
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DSC_0123.JPG
DSC_0121.JPG

#1 5 years ago

I have my TAF bookcase apart as part of my tear down cleaning and MOD project. I was all set to just put it back together but the small crank arm broke so I am waiting on that part. In the mean time I found a thread on this site where a guy put on insulated wire connectors for his bookcase, see this thread:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-taf-makeover

I might dot he same, but I am also thinking about putting on a wiring block with screws on it to make this easier in the future. Here is what I have:

amazon.com link »

My question in this, I have it cut down for 5 wires, and that is all good. It won't fit inside the bookcase part that stands up, but I was thinking, if I make wires long enough to come out the bottom would there be any issue with hot gluing the block to the bottom of the bookcase base? Would it case it to be off balance or anything?

The underside opto board is already screwed on there so I don't think it would cause a problem, just wondering if anyone has any feedback.

Thanks,
Phil

#2 5 years ago

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=03-06-2055

Why not do this? I added all the parts you would need to make the male and female connectors and its $1.68 it should fit in the back of the book case easily although you would need to cut it if it ever needed to come apart.

#3 5 years ago

Thanks I was looking for that and couldn't find the right search terms the other day to come across it.

I picked up what I have at Radio Shack so it was quick and local also.

I will look at this and see if it will fit based on the measurements, if not I would still like to know if my idea would work too.

Phil

#4 5 years ago

Go with the insulated male and female connectors, just try to find them smaller than 1/4". 1/4" will fit but I mean just barely. I would cut the wires about 1" from the opto, I cut them shorter and the wires wouldn't make the bend so I had to trim the top of connectors with angled wire cutters. Also identify each connector with a marker and you will need a pair of needle nose pliers to hold the one connector in the bookcase (the connectors fit together snugly, it'll just push down the bookcase without a good connection if you don't). Give me a shout if you have any problems, I could disassemble mine and give you a step by step with pics if you need it.

#5 5 years ago

Vilant, thanks I have the 1/4", it was all RAdio Shack had, and I actually have them on one end already, but as you said they are very tight. That is what got me thinking about the wiring block on the bottom. I had bought it and I actually cut it down some in the hopes it would just fit inside. It does fit in there, but it is very very tight and that is without any wires attached to it.

I might get the molex connectors listed above, or I think I might still try my idea of the wiring block on the bottom of the bookcase and see what happens, worst case is I take it back out and redo it. But it is very light I don't think it is going to cause any problems, but I guess there is only one way to find out for sure.

Plus I still have to wait for my small lower crank arm to arrive so I have time yet.

Still would like any input from others on if they think this is good of bad though in the mean time.

I will take pics once it is finished if it works and post them though.

Phil

#6 5 years ago

I just saw in Radio Shack that there is an assortment pack of 7/64, 3/16, and 1/4 inch insulated male and female connectors. Grab a few packs of them if you didn't get the molex already. If you get the molex let me know how they work.

#7 5 years ago

OK, so here is what I ended up doing, see the pics. I don't have any "final" pics as I was to excited to get it all back together when my part got here today. I might have to pull it back out, but probably not for a while. In the final setup I have put wires on the opto in the top of the bookcase and they are plenty long to reach down to the wiring block that is hot glued to the bottom of the bookcase base. I only had 3 colors of wires, so I used black to black and then I had red and green. So I put black marker on the last two red and green wires to make sure I didn't mess them up.

Now, anytime I want to take it apart I just have to unscrew the 5 wires going to the top opto and pull them out and everything comes apart really easy.

Would love to hear some feedback.

Phil

DSC_0121.JPG DSC_0123.JPG
#8 5 years ago

Looks good, nice job. It clears everything underneath nicely when moving?

#9 5 years ago

Yep, no problems that I have seen so far. Messed around with it by hand, meaning triggering it to turn the bookcase and dropping balls in and everything has been fine. I let it cycle the bookcase in "test mode" for about 2 minutes and never had an issues.

So far so good. Worst case is that if it doesn't work out it is still an easy thing to change out and back out of. I did not cut any of the original wires at this point either.

Phil

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Bright Lights Pinball
Hardware
CPR Playfields
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wayzata, MN
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 25.99
Playfield - Other
Lee's Parts
$ 279.95
6,400 (Firm)
Sale Pending!
Mooresville, NC
$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Worth, TX
$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 24.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts
$ 109.99
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 47.00
$ 16.00
$ 38.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 999.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside