6AB5C7FF-69AE-4427-A5BD-B5346DE9ABB1 (resized).jpeg
676A65B9-E275-4A50-BE3B-AD28F824113B (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
A9981480-B0E1-49D5-B7DD-D4AF053F7273 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
CB40CCE9-755B-4D58-9EE3-DB52185B3096 (resized).jpeg
C4621395-DC35-4EEC-879E-EB6ECC04D996 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pindelapin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

Update: I have 6 volts at the J6 connector to the interconnect board so that tells me the joints on the wires from the transformer are likely ok. I only have 2.4 volts across the F2 fuse with the fuse out. So, it’s either the F2 fuse holder or the J6 connector right? Is there any way to narrow it down further?

You state you have 2.4 volts across the F2 fuse holder what voltage do you have coming into the fuse holder? If you only have 2.4 at the front side of the fuse holder then logic would suggest the problem is the connector before the fuse holder itself.

#15 4 years ago

Sorry, I’m a bit new to these issues, how would I measure voltage coming into the fuse holder?

Just use your DMM to measure the voltage on the incoming wire into the fuse holder. If you have 6v to that point but on the exit lug of the fuse holder you have 2.4v then you know you have a bad fuse holder. On the other hand if you only have 2.4 volts coming into the fuse holder then you know your problem is at the other connector which could also be the problem. At this point you're narrowing down the fuse holder or the other connector where you say you're getting 6 volts into it but just because you get 6 volts into something doesn't mean you're getting 6 volts out of something. Hope that makes sense.

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

For simplicity sake, you take one reading at point 1, say your 2.4V, you SHOULD get the same at point 2 (if your fuse is intact). If you don't suspect a fuse clip or fuse clip solder.
Image courtesy of pinwiki.com of an after market power board
[quoted image]

Exactly! What he said. You just said visually what I was trying to sputter out verbally very good.

#33 4 years ago

Ok, more info:
I measured from pin 7 at J6 to the fuse, got 6 volts at both ends of the fuse. Then I measured from the end of the fuse to pin 6 on J9 (which is the connector I replaced but have not replaced the header) and got 2.4 volts.
Bad header??? The odd thing is the lower GI is the yellow and white/yellow wire but the upper GI is violet and white/violet. Upper GI works, lower GI does not.
Here is the shot of the board, J6 is the connector to the right with all the yellow and yellow/white wires. F2 is the top left fuse. J9 is the 7 pin connector directly underneath the fuses with the new connector on it.
[quoted image]

Ok os it just me or just the pic but doesn't that f2 fuse look blackish or like it got hot?

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

digi-key?
Mouser?

Mouser has some real cheap shipping for small items like this so definitely check with them.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

4,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greenwood, IN
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pindelapin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/question-on-non-working-very-dim-lower-gi-on-whirlwind?tu=pindelapin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.