New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 242040)

Question on non-working (very dim) lower GI on Whirlwind

By Pinball_Gizzard

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 57 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Pinball_Gizzard
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 8 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

6AB5C7FF-69AE-4427-A5BD-B5346DE9ABB1 (resized).jpeg
676A65B9-E275-4A50-BE3B-AD28F824113B (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
A9981480-B0E1-49D5-B7DD-D4AF053F7273 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
CB40CCE9-755B-4D58-9EE3-DB52185B3096 (resized).jpeg
C4621395-DC35-4EEC-879E-EB6ECC04D996 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider GnarLee.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9 1 year ago

First I do not have a whirlwind but i do own a system 11. If im not mistaken those 4 yellow white wires are for your GI. I would put a connector there myself helps with troubleshooting. First thing to check would be fuses. Find the fuse that is feeding the string that is dim. Pull the fuse and check it with a multimeter. If it tests fine put it back in turn on machine and test for voltage on either side of the fuse. If you get voltage on one side but not the other its a partially bad fuse that needs to be replaced. If there is good voltage on both sides fuse is good. No voltage either side you have a break in the connection back to the transformer (solder joints in pic most likely). Assuming the fuse tests good you have to start tracing the line back to find where the voltage drops. The system 11 I repaired had 2 lighting issues that were from bad pins in connectors and had 1 shorting issue that was constantly popping fuses. Hopefully you get it figured out soon

Edit* didnt see the 2.4v part. Ya trace the wire that is feeding string back to transformer and see what voltage you are getting there. good chance 1 of those 4 wires has a cold solder joint and its not passing proper voltage.

#39 1 year ago

Ok so if I reading what you did correctly. You tested the incoming from transformer @connector and got 6 volts. You tested with the fuse in and got 6 volts on both sides. Then on the outgoing connector you got 2.4 volts? I feel like maybe your testing things wrong (no offense). When your testing for voltage your ground lead is easiest put on a piece of the braid in backbox. Then you test individual points not across points. So with your ground attached to the braid pull the connector (with machine off), turn machine on and touch each of the pins and make sure you have 6v. Machine back off put connector back in, pull fuse in question. Machine back on test hot/incoming side of fuse for 6v. Machine off replace fuse machine on and test outgoing side of fuse for 6v. From there we goto outgoing connector. So machine off pull connector machine on and test for voltage on the pins connected to the board (be careful here if there is multiple voltages on the connector you could short something touching more than 1 pin) for 6v. If you still have 6v at this point machine off plug connector back in and test at the backside of connector. All of this was done with the black probe attached to the ground braid. We need to find where your losing the voltage. Hopefully my gibberish made sense.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 349.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 839.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Sale Pending!
Moncks Corner, SC
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider GnarLee.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside