Topic poll

“Taf for tspp”

• Yes 24 votes
    69%
  • No 11 votes
    31%

(35 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

#1 11 years ago

I am debating putting up a minty TAF and thinking about TSPP for complex game, nostalgia, theme.

I don't really like how stern games play is the problem.

Is this something I should consider? I would have it in the same room as TZ RS BK2K. I hate breaking up my pat lineup.. But I just don't play TAF as much because it's not that hard.

Anything else I should consider trading it for?

#2 11 years ago

Trade for whatever you want brotha. I would definitely consider that trader for the TSPP if we were local to each other.

#3 11 years ago

TSPP is legit

#4 11 years ago

100% TSPP. TAF is very over rated super easy game. No longevity to the game. If you are even a remote Simpsons fan you will love the pin. With all the modes and mini wizards the game just has incredible depth. The sense of satisfaction that you get from this pin when you stack multiple mini wizards together is awesome. All of the call outs for the game, character voices, etc are amazing. Probably one of the best pins to really nail the theme.

#5 11 years ago

TSPP doesn't "feel" like a STERN game, at least to me.

#6 11 years ago

I think for the sheer structure of the "more complex game" I am down for this.. Ideally anyone from the northwest sees this PM me and we can likely work a deal.

#7 11 years ago

man im think about putting up my shadow for trade for TAF

#8 11 years ago

So far, there isn't a better game in existence than TSPP IMO. If I could only have one pinball machine regardless of cost, TSPP would be it. Every time I play it, it's different. There's so many things to do you never run out of fun. (I like fun!)

#9 11 years ago

I sure as heck wouldn't trade my TSPP for a TAF. There's just so so SO much to do in TSPP. Personal note, but I enjoy the Simpsons theme far more, as well.

#10 11 years ago

I want a TAF, but not badly enough to part with my TSPP! I don't know if TSPP is the best game in existance, but it's definitely in the top 5 for me. You may have better luck just selling the TAF outright and using the funds for a TSPP.

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from GoneFishinLvMsg:

I want a TAF, but not badly enough to part with my TSPP! I don't know if TSPP is the best game in existance, but it's definitely in the top 5 for me. You may have better luck just selling the TAF outright and using the funds for a TSPP.

Yes just don't feel like shopping right now..if I truly want a Simpsons it will come to that. Im in no rush.. I still enjoy TAF callouts ..just on my list to remove first

#12 11 years ago

Is cabinet fade a common issue on TSPP or did they vary somewhat between production runs?
The ones I have seen had cabinet side art where background characters are faint while main
foreground characters are vivid.

This side cabinet pic shows the background characters more vividly.

http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=4674&picno=48600

This front cabinet pic appears to be NIB and yet characters are very faint.

http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=4674&picno=30683

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from HeyYouSir:

Is cabinet fade a common issue on TSPP or did they vary somewhat between production runs?
The ones I have seen had cabinet side art where background characters are faint while main
foreground characters are vivid.
This side cabinet pic shows the background characters more vividly.
http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=4674&picno=48600
This front cabinet pic appears to be NIB and yet characters are very faint.
http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=4674&picno=30683

Not exactly sure what this has to do with my thread.. There are a lot of other threads on is topic.. But basically yes.. Stern quality stinks. The printing on the cabinet the ink used and the quality of the cabinet are not that of a Williams.

That's why I started this thread.. It hurts me a little to drop a HUO quality TAF for "crappy old stern" but this arguably isn't "any old stern"

I do have two leads on a tspp thanks one to pinside a lightly routed machine, and a local ..heavier routed machine.. Which ever has a better playfield I think might win out.. Sure its a bit of cash possibly lost in the long run.. But I'm not here for cash as much as good hard fun pinball!

We will see..

As for the shadow.. I have heard that is a sweet game.. But TSPP is only a option due to the theme I got taf for my wife who didn't enjoy it much .. And I complete the mansion every other game.l (not a point multiball guy) so I getting bored with it.. I think Simpsons will appleal to me, wife, and casual non pin players better then taf did.. Awesome to Own however.l I will miss taf.

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from Spudgunman:

That's why I started this thread.. It hurts me a little to drop a HUO quality TAF for "crappy old stern" but this arguably isn't "any old stern"

Keep the TAF. It's a great pin. I played TSPP and it almost seemed like a chore to me. Maybe with more time on it I'd feel differently, but as it stands TAF>TSPP..... Of course, I'm not of the mindset that deeper is always better. Besides TAF has plenty to do on it and then some.

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from Honch:

Keep the TAF. It's a great pin. I played TSPP and it almost seemed like a chore to me. Maybe with more time on it I'd feel differently, but as it stands TAF>TSPP..... Of course, I'm not of the mindset that deeper is always better. Besides TAF has plenty to do on it and then some.

Yes it is great.. But I just never play it.. Because I end up just getting mansion.. I am not so much of a points high score player as much as ..beat the game or ..get the goal.

I do have TAF next to roadshow and TZ so I have my share of pat playfield.. And I love TZ and RS wouldnt toss them.

When you say there is a lot to do.. Have you ever spent much time with TZ? I think my problem is owning all three moderen pat games that TZ being the earliest of them gets the yawn factor... I mean stacking cousin it with multiball is about as crazy as it gets.. Or the tunnel tour.. I just feel that once I mastered the shots the game was just something to gain high scores on.. And I get bored there.

Thanks a ton for the post.. This is my dilemma and just looking to more seasoned pin owners if this trade is dumb or not.. I am leaning to trade.. I fee
I grew out of TAF if that makes sense... Great earner and route machine, but when I play pinball 1-2 hours a day it's getting ignored.

#17 11 years ago

I totally understand the desire to change it up, but a HUO TAF would be a hard thing to give up, if it were me. I have played TZ a lot and definitely think there is to much in common with TAF. Goodluck on your pursuit and let us know how you make out.

#18 11 years ago

I miss my Addams...it was my first..was super nice too

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from tomdotcom:

I miss my Addams...it was my first..was super nice too

I notice that you own tspp if you we're given the chance to trade your tspp for my HUO taf would you? Or would you keep the tspp and just buy a taf again if it were priced ok, you had the cash to burn?

I notice that you rate taf as your#1 pin over tspp why? And why did you sell and keep tspp?

Just cuerious as it might help me out with this decision. As I won't be able to afford a taf like this down the road. I am torn from a collector vs a player right now

#20 11 years ago

Yes I'd do that trade if I was tired of TSPP. It's still new to me though, so it's not going anywhere soon. Mines HUO from Todd M.

If I had cash I'd buy another TAF. I have limited space though, so there are many other pins I'd rather own first.

TSPP is better than TAF, imo....if I owned both at the same time and needed to sell, TAF would go first...I just dont adjust my ratings much to change it so my ratings are exactly in the right order...its not an exact science...i love them both in different ways

#21 11 years ago

that helps allot thanks

#22 11 years ago

Added a vote thing

#23 11 years ago

I really love TSPP.. but I'm absolutely dying for an TAF.

TAF is probably my favorite pin of all time.

#24 11 years ago

I'd go with TSPP myself so much to do and a wide variety of shots not to mention my favorite upper playfield of all time.

#25 11 years ago
Quoted from Spudgunman:

Not exactly sure what this has to do with my thread.. There are a lot of other threads on is topic.. But basically yes.. Stern quality stinks. The printing on the cabinet the ink used and the quality of the cabinet are not that of a Williams.

You may have answered your own question. Since you are considering getting a TSPP
I raised the issue of cabinet artwork quality to see if someone in the know would comment.

TSPP has caught my eye as well as a nice game to have, but I would personally not
give up my TAF to get a TSPP. Personal preference. Good luck with whatever you decide.

#26 11 years ago

I love both games - really. But if it came down to one over the other, I'd say TSPP. there is just so much to do in the game and it just keeps giving you more challenges.

#27 11 years ago

You should make the trade for sure. I'm sure other people will say 'but TAF is so collectible', 'the quality on Sterns suck', and 'you'll never be able to get one back' but straight and honest truth is that TSPP simply kicks the crap out of TAF from a gameplay/rules perspective. There's simply no comparison. Keeping a game just because it looks nice is a bad idea in my opinion, what's the point in that? It's not furniture. And frankly even if it was, more people love the Simpsons theme than the Addams Family theme at this point, the Addams Family license has been dead for like 20 years now, only people over the age of 30 would have knowledge of it at all.

So I say go ahead and make the trade. The game times are long, but it honestly doesn't sound like your TAF games are that short anyways.

#28 11 years ago

TSPP in my garage!

I am happy and don't regret the trade.

#29 11 years ago
Quoted from Spudgunman:

TSPP in my garage!
I am happy and don't regret the trade.

Nice.

#30 11 years ago

Dude, we gotta have a pinball party. Not this weekend, but the next i'm open... my Black Rose should be up and playing like greased lightning by then.

#31 11 years ago

For sure.. The garage just needs cleaned up from construction... The bk2k also needs transported still.

#33 11 years ago

TSPP by 100 miles!

I wanted a TAF forever but I'm starting lose interest in older B/W games. They don't have the depth of the rules of the newer sterns and I need it to stayed entertained.

#34 11 years ago
Quoted from trimoto:

man im think about putting up my Shadow for trade for TAF

No don't Shadow to me is alot more fun.

#35 11 years ago

Just a fun note, if you play the game and notice the garage doesn't want to stay up, the fix is SUPER SIMPLE. I had two of them, and the first one I just assumed there was nothing I could do to fix this stupid problem... my second one, I replaced the coil with the next one stronger (per STERN's instructions), and it's been 100% dynamite ever since. Don't tolerate a lazy garage door, do the coil swap. It's dirt simple and a must mod!

And, as far as playing a game that you want to "beat", you will never EVER beat TSPP. Just simply getting to some of the smaller objectives will feel like you made a huge accomplishment, since there is So. Much. To. Do! No, Alien Invasion isn't the wizard mode. No, Springfield Mystery Spot isn't the wizard mode. No, Secret Stash isn't the wizard mode. And yet, they all would pass as a fine wiz mode in other games... I sort of doubt anyone's seen the actual wiz mode in this game. You will find yourself playing for points in this game, unlike TAF, because if you only play to "beat" it, you will get discouraged. That's why I got rid of my first one, because it's (virtually) unbeatable.

#36 11 years ago

There are people that have made it to the wizard mode, I only know one personally...very highly ranked player..

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 159.00
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MA
$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
7,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Buffalo, NY
$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 135.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 45.00
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/question-ft-taf-for-tspp and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.