(Topic ID: 166679)

Question for those running tournaments

By Spyderturbo007

7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

I've been running monthly tournaments for a few months now and am still learning. They have been small (~10 people), but still a ton of fun.

Anyway, we play on location and I have a question about extra balls. If you read the IFPA rules, Section II, Subsection 2, states "...any extra balls earned should be played unless otherwise noted on the machine...".

How do you guys handle it if you don't have the ability to turn off extra balls? Do you just let people play all of their extra balls, or limit them to one like we do in leagues when following the FSPA ruleset?

Or is it completely up to me as the tournament director?

#2 7 years ago

Up to the tournament director. Most places by me make it so players plunge off their extra balls. I try to switch all my games into tournament mode as to not have that be an issue, but if you're not able to then plunging off is a reasonable alternative.

#3 7 years ago

We turn extra balls off if we can. If we can't or a machine gets missed when we are turning them off our rule is to play it. This is common for all but one league I am a part of. The one league leaves them on and the rule is play it if you get it (this is unfair IMO but it's not my league). We also try to turn on tournament mode if possible so that all mystery awards are equal for all players.

#4 7 years ago

Most places disable in settings or plunge

#5 7 years ago

for the route places where I do tourneys we just have a rule of "plunge only for EBs"

You are allowed to set a lane prior to plunge but as soon as you lunge then no flipper button may be pressed.

#6 7 years ago

Totally up to you. In the league I ran, we just plunged extra balls. You could plunge for a skill shot but no contact after the plunge. We did this because the games were on location and we had to let the public play on them.

For tournaments, I always try to disable extra balls if there is a setting to do so. For older games and EMs I'll often allow the extra ball and they do that at Pinburgh, too.

Other things to do are setting the games to tournament mode or using another option to make awards non-random. Also games with long ball times like LOTR and Fun house, etc. may benefit from widening outlines and removing post rubbers.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/question-for-those-running-tournaments and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.