Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by ryanwanger
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

Hi pinside mates. I have a little project going and it would help me to know on average in a high traffic area how many game would you expect to be played on a pin in a week? Talking top 20 titles.
    Your help and input is much appreciated

#2 9 years ago

Thought I would revive this thread to get a bit more of an idea and be a bit more direct with my question. what do you think a fair price for renting a machine for a week would be. This price per week would include any maintenance and repair, call outs and what not.

#3 9 years ago

got some feedback from vid which was very helpful just wanted a few more opinions on it

#4 9 years ago

The reason I include repair and call out in the cost is that the way I figure it, in renting the machine the customer is paying for a perfectly working machine and if its not working up to scratch they are not getting what they paid for and its my responsibility to provide. Is this generally how it goes?

#5 9 years ago

I'm no expert, but I'm renting out a few machines in the $200-$300 a month range - which includes maintenance. I can't imagine a scenario where maintenance would not be included. I'll describe the more interesting scenario:

Two pins in an office for the employees to play. ~25 employees put around ~500 plays per month on each machine (though the first month might be more like 1000 or more plays, but it averages out to around 500 by the time I swap out for a new game).

So in my situation, it's almost as though they're pre-paying 50 cents a game.

They understand that they have to keep the game for at least a few months before we swap in something else. Moving pins sucks - I mean, I'm not sure I'd even move one pin out of my basement to an office, pick another one up, and put it in my basement for $200. I don't think you'd want to rent weekly.

#6 9 years ago

Thanks for your input mate. Not planing to move pins out every week just charge per week for rent. Rotating may by every few months or if one has a problem I can't fix on site

#7 9 years ago

Also for reference Pinball has been 1$ per game 2$ for 3 since I was a kid. Probably more now but since its very rare to see one in the wild here these days I wouldn't know. Think I paid 1.40 a pop for AC/DC

#8 9 years ago
    Quoted from mickthepin:

Also for reference Pinball has been 1$ per game 2$ for 3 since I was a kid. Probably more now but since its very rare to see one in the wild here these days I wouldn't know. Think I paid 1.40 a pop for AC/DC

Interesting. Most places in my area are still 50 cents. Occasionally you'll see 75 cents for newer Sterns, or $1 for WOZ.

#9 9 years ago

bump. come on guys I need a few responses to get an idea of an average

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

Interesting. Most places in my area are still 50 cents. Occasionally you'll see 75 cents for newer Sterns, or $1 for WOZ.

You guys need to raise your prices. Those are 1990s prices.

I know you are maintaining good games so you should get paid appropriately based on inflation rates.

.50 for sys11 and up. Anything DMD is .75 or 3/$2. New games are $1 or 3/$2.
    I am guessing you get way more play but still you should be getting a reasonable coin drop price. To me the math does not add up for the amount of wear/tear/maintenance when you are doing 90s pricing but your fuel, fees, insurance, etc... are no longer 90s prices.

mick >> nobody will be able to give you very precise numbers as things are widey variable based on location, game, clientele, etc. Could be 100 plays a week and could be played constantly. When you toss in that the games will be on free play (I assume since you are renting them out already then no coin drop) that is a whole new variable.

#11 9 years ago

Tru whysnow. I have a figure in my head just want a bit more info to go on

#12 9 years ago
    Quoted from mickthepin:

Tru whysnow. I have a figure in my head just want a bit more info to go on

What is the situation you're getting into? How many pins? Do you know the people personally?

I ended up starting with lower pricing, but quickly realized that they were playing more than I expected and I was coming out for maintenance more often. I raised the price and they understood (and saw how responsive I was when there were issues).

Point being, you might be able to just try something out and then change it up a bit if things aren't working out.

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

You guys need to raise your prices. Those are 1990s prices.
    I know you are maintaining good games so you should get paid appropriately based on inflation rates.
    .50 for sys11 and up. Anything DMD is .75 or 3/$2. New games are $1 or 3/$2.
    I am guessing you get way more play but still you should be getting a reasonable coin drop price. To me the math does not add up for the amount of wear/tear/maintenance when you are doing 90s pricing but your fuel, fees, insurance, etc... are no longer 90s prices.
    mick >> nobody will be able to give you very precise numbers as things are widey variable based on location, game, clientele, etc. Could be 100 plays a week and could be played constantly. When you toss in that the games will be on free play (I assume since you are renting them out already then no coin drop) that is a whole new variable.

Maybe so. You've been out here...everything is 50 cents in Denver. Even WOZ.

Over the next year or so, I'll have some opportunities to play around with pricing. We'll see how things turn out.

#14 9 years ago

Note the price the OP quote, and his location Australia, not the USA, things are generally more down under.

#15 9 years ago

Can you bill your rental based on number of balls played or total time played?

#16 9 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

Maybe so. You've been out here...everything is 50 cents in Denver. Even WOZ.
    Over the next year or so, I'll have some opportunities to play around with pricing. We'll see how things turn out.

Yeah, you have more options for players in your area but they are also dropping more coins so I guess it goes both ways. I am guessing some of the bigger locations are getting 100% of the coin drop which makes sense how they can do everything at cheaper than 90s prices.

2 weeks later
    #17 9 years ago
    Quoted from Rush1169:

Can you bill your rental based on number of balls played or total time played?

My guess is that it's better to just bill a company the same amount each month so they can forget about it. Varying prices might cause more scrutiny and/or levels of approval.

Also, I think what you're charging for is the convenience of having a pin, right there, on freeplay. If they're not playing it, that's their loss, not yours - you could be making money on it in a different location.

So, did you end up doing this?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/question-for-the-operators and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.