Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by EM-PINMAN
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

I am so damn close after a year of tinkering. My Williams Jive Time is working....kind of. When I start a game, it plays normally, except the motor continues to run. The game plays fine, cycles ball, spinners and kickouts work. After about the 3rd or 4th ball, the motor will randomly stop running. At that point, the spinner, kickout holes, and ball kicker also stop. However, flippers and switches still function normally.

Which brings me to ask many questions:

Why does the motor continue to run on startup?
Why does the motor stop randomly?
What specifically should I be looking for?

I should add that I am a complete EM idiot (surprise). I have done minor and major repairs on SS games, but EM repair is just not clicking in my tiny little brain. This game was in storage for 30 years when I brought it, so it has come a long way from when I started (thanks clay). I am fearful of tearing back into at the risk of destroying all my progress. It was 99% luck to get even this far.

#2 11 years ago

Why does the motor continue to run on startup?

The Score Motor runs to set the game up to play. It continues to run when as long as the game is not in the expected state.

Why does the motor stop randomly?

Something you're doing causes the game to get to the expected state.

What specifically should I be looking for?

Most likely you have a switch out of adjustment, or a stepper unit that's not resetting.

Have you checked the operation of all of your stepper units? Do they all reset properly?

Some relays that MIGHT (check your schematic because there are probably more) cause the score motor to run are:

Outhole Relay
Eject Relay
Reset Relay
Coin Relay

Look and see if these relays are energized while the motor is running. If they are, find out why.

That should get you started.

#3 11 years ago

I'll add to the list
Ball count unit. make sure the units are clean and move freely

#4 11 years ago

Thanks for the responses. It is actually the last row on the stepper isnt closing all the way. It is landing slightly on the slope of the notch, which is why the problem is intermittent. I'll figure these things eventually

#5 11 years ago

EMs are a good test with one's eyes
make sure you have a powerful light also - good luck JBF

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from jewboyflowerhead:

Thanks for the responses. It is actually the last row on the stepper isnt closing all the way. It is landing slightly on the slope of the notch, which is why the problem is intermittent. I'll figure these things eventually

I'm glad everything came together. There's a pretty good manual for this game as far as EM manuals go. Most you don't get any, but this one's on ipdb.org.

Once you get used to reading the schematics things will get easier, but they're still a pain when they want to be.

#7 11 years ago

"but they're still a pain when they want to be."

rancegt, you forgot to mention FUN too

#8 11 years ago

And the sounds of EM cannot be duplicated, love it

1 month later
#9 11 years ago
Quoted from jewboyflowerhead:

It is landing slightly on the slope of the notch, which is why the problem is intermittent.

For Steppers check for old grease slowing it up (remove) and poor spring tension (replace/tighten old ones). These are the main problems Steppers have.

Clean up Steppers with 90% alcohol and a Scotch Brite pad. Make sure to clean plungers inside coils as well or replace the sleeves. Check rivets, shoes, and wires to it as well. When all clean lightly grease Stepper disc/rivets with Teflon Grease.

Ken

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 5.00
Electronics
UpKick Pinball
Electronics

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/question-for-em-experts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.