(Topic ID: 213602)

Question for all Van Halen fans. (Poll included)

By Who-Dey

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 79 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by ArcadiusMaximus
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“If a Van Halen pin is made, should it include Sammy Hagar in it and David Lee Roth both?”

• No it should be David Lee Roth only 104 votes
      47%
    • Sammy and Dave both should be included 115 votes
      53%

(219 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

w0YWdLjj5rxxC.gif
    download (resized).jpg
    Oakland_Jump (resized).jpg
    220px-Van_Halen_-_Fair_Warning (resized).jpg

There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 1 year ago
    Quoted from Groo:

I've been a part of the whole Sammy Vs Dave since it's inception, (I like both BTW), but let's bring a few facts into the debate.
    VH never had a #1 album with Dave. (Granted Michael Jackson's hair accident helped a bit)
    VH never won a grammy with Dave.
    All 4 Sammy albums went #1. They also won a grammy with Sammy. (poet and don't know it)
    It's debatable who sold better, due to people rebuying the originals on CD, but it does lean towards Dave.
    Sammy also has had a career outside of VH, while Dave wanted to be a movie star, and I think you'd find that was the rift in the original VH.
    Sammy's profit from Cabo Wabo and tequila apparently drove a rift between him and the VH brothers, but we've only heard his side of the story on that.
    Either way, I still like both singers, but without Michael Anthony's chops, Dave's act doesn't hold up too well.
    I'd probably lean towards a Sammy, new logo, 5150 type machine if given that choice.

You can talk about all of that stuff that you want to and alot of it or all of it may be true, but no matter what you say, when people think about Van Halen they think David Lee Roth period. There is a reason for that and that reason is because Van Halen was much cooler with Dave than they were Sammy.

Sammy is awesome and hes a better singer than Dave. He also knows what it takes more than Dave to be a good band etc, but regardless of all that stuff Van Halen isnt Van Halen without Dave. They are Van Hagar instead. I wouldn't buy a Van Halen pin that features both singers and i wouldn't buy a Van Halen pin with Wolfgang instead of Michael Anthony either because Wolfgang sucks. Yeah thats right, i said it.

#52 1 year ago

Lifelong VH fan, DLR is (was) THE front man. He taught the 80s how to behave!

I bought 5150 the day it came out and loved it. Then, a few months later, Eat "em and Smile (DLR solo lp) came out and reminded us that THIS was the VH sound! VanHagar never sounded the same again. They may have been more successful and Sammy may be a technically better singer but they lost their swagger.

w0YWdLjj5rxxC.gif

#53 1 year ago

There is no doubt that when you say Van Halen it's DLR. The thing that bugs me are all the Sammy haters that think he ruined the music industry when he fronted VH. The ones that use Van Hagar as a derogatory term don't seem to understand that VH was changing when the first note from 1984/Jump hit the radio. It wasn't Eddie's guitar, Michael's bass, Alex's drums, or DLR signature yelp, it was a keyboard. They were starting to branch out from the 3 minute rock tunes and cover tracks into something different. Sammy just helped them complete the transition.

There are 3 different crowds, the DLR only crowd, the Van Hagar crowd, and those that enjoy them both. So there you go, Pro - Both, Premium - Sammy, LE - Diamond Dave. None of which should have Wolfgang.

#54 1 year ago
    Quoted from Groo:

I've been a part of the whole Sammy Vs Dave since it's inception, (I like both BTW), but let's bring a few facts into the debate.
    VH never had a #1 album with Dave. (Granted Michael Jackson's hair accident helped a bit)
    All 4 Sammy albums went #1. They also won a grammy with Sammy. (poet and don't know it)
    It's debatable who sold better, due to people rebuying the originals on CD, but it does lean towards Dave.
    Sammy also has had a career outside of VH, while Dave wanted to be a movie star, and I think you'd find that was the rift in the original VH.
    Sammy's profit from Cabo Wabo and tequila apparently drove a rift between him and the VH brothers, but we've only heard his side of the story on that.
    Either way, I still like both singers, but without Michael Anthony's chops, Dave's act doesn't hold up too well.
    I'd probably lean towards a Sammy, new logo, 5150 type machine if given that choice.

Too much common sense for the DLR crowd.

Also, more charted hits on the Billboard Hot 100 under Hagar.

#55 1 year ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

You can talk about all of that stuff that you want to and alot of it or all of it may be true, but no matter what you say, when people think about Van Halen they think David Lee Roth period.

Funny, when I think of Van Halen, I think of Hagar first.

The transition took place right as I was starting High School. Hagar was the voice of Van Halen throughout my adolescence and college years. I was well aware of DLR and all his hits, and liked them as kid, but the formative years were all Hagar.

I think many people around my age would agree.

Your poll has been leaning more towards "both" lately.

#56 1 year ago

Of course they charted more, it turned into pure pop.

#57 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Of course they charted more, it turned into pure pop.

Billboard Hot 100 is all genres, actually.

#58 1 year ago
    Quoted from Sinestro:

Billboard Hot 100 is all genres, actually.

I'm not referring to the charting criteria, I'm talking aboot the soft motor palatable sound. I don't "blame" Sammy for it, they just sucked more.

#59 1 year ago
    Quoted from Groo:

Grammy and Billboard TOP 100 are great but the only two albums to sell the MOST units per the Recording Industry Association of America is Van Halen I and 1984. They are both Diamond (10+ million) certified albums. That means more people actually bought these albums. No other Van Halen album(s) have achieved this. I think that is a little more telling than what you listed... that's my musical opinion however.

#60 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Haha Van Hagar and metal in the same sentence.

Let me clarify: I am not labeling "Van Hagar" or even the original Van Halen as a metal band. I consider them to be fit for the hard rock subgenre. I was trying to say that bands like Metallica were becoming more mainstream - the heavier bands were taking over the "hard" music scene. Bands such as Aerosmith, ACDC, KISS, Deep Purple, etc. and Van Halen, themselves, either lost a lot of their popularity or tried to adapt to the times (*cough* 80's hair band KISS *cough*).

#61 1 year ago
    Quoted from Groo:

There is no doubt that when you say Van Halen it's DLR. The thing that bugs me are all the Sammy haters that think he ruined the music industry when he fronted VH. The ones that use Van Hagar as a derogatory term don't seem to understand that VH was changing when the first note from 1984/Jump hit the radio. It wasn't Eddie's guitar, Michael's bass, Alex's drums, or DLR signature yelp, it was a keyboard. They were starting to branch out from the 3 minute rock tunes and cover tracks into something different. Sammy just helped them complete the transition.
    There are 3 different crowds, the DLR only crowd, the Van Hagar crowd, and those that enjoy them both. So there you go, Pro - Both, Premium - Sammy, LE - Diamond Dave. None of which should have Wolfgang.

I like them all but I like DLR VH more than SH VH. I like SH by himself more than SH VH. We lost Sammy when he joined VH. His music was never really the same. You never got shit like Bad Motor Scooter, Heavy Metal, Three Lock Box, There's Only One Way To Rock, or even I Can't Drive 55 ever again. That's the shit I grew up on and remember seeing in concert. God why cant I go back there. The TX Jam with Sammy was absolute heaven and I didn't know it. I would buy a Sammy pin and I hate stern with a passion and can't afford it either..

#62 1 year ago

Remember this one?

#63 1 year ago

oooooo a Sammy Vs. Dave fight!!!

Look, the Sammy stuff blows. You know it, I know it, we all know it. I'm sure Sammy is a great guy to hang out with, he looks like a lot of fun. I can't imagine being cooped up in a room with DLR for more than 5 minutes with his horrible jokes and lines, perma-coke grin, and endless canned bits that got old 35 years ago.

But DLR Van Halen is pretty much the best pop metal ever made. Sammy's stuff was bland, dull, and broke zero new ground unless you count using a power drill for an intro - pretty much all the reason they had more Top 40 hits with Sammy but were a much better album band with Dave.

Dave to the grave baby!

#64 1 year ago

Back then, yes. Now, DLR cant sing or jump or do much else other than flap his yapper. Sammy can still bring it. I do agree that SH VH wasn't the best.

#65 1 year ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

Back then, yes. Now, DLR cant sing or jump or do much else other than flap his yapper. Sammy can still bring it. I do agree that SH VH wasn't the best.

Sammy is over 70 and fairly obese now. You sure?

Nobody really cares how these guys sound or jump around in 2018. We are talking about the gang's legacy and that's all DLR.

#66 1 year ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

C'Mon, really?
    All of our abilities diminish
    over time, Sammy included.

#67 1 year ago
    Quoted from rollitover:

C'Mon, really?
    All of our abilities diminish
    over time, Sammy included.

Well shit, he aint what he used to be but he can still sing, DLR cant. And he can still play.

#68 1 year ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

Well shit, he aint what he used to be but he can still sing, DLR cant. And he can still play.

Yeah 'ya know DLR might not have ended up like this had he not lived so hard and fast.

#69 1 year ago

Why does everyone blame Sammy for the changing sound? Sammy is perfectly capable of rocking to the same level as DLR. Eddie was the one who got obsessed with synth bullshit.

#70 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rascal_H:

Why does everyone blame Sammy for the changing sound?

I didn't think everyone is. I think everyone knows The Halens are the dickweeds in this situation.

#71 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I didn't think everyone is. I think everyone knows The Halens are the dickweeds in this situation.

Haha ok

#72 1 year ago

There's even a rumor that Gary Cherone was cool before he joined them....but that shit cant be true.

OR can it?

#73 1 year ago

Sammy has enough Cabo money to build his own themed pin. Let us have a DLR one first. Plus he can put his tequila ads all over it.

#74 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

That would be Eddie not Alex would it not?

#75 1 year ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

That would be Eddie not Alex would it not?

Alex put up with it.

#76 1 year ago

Supposedly it was Sammy feuding with Alex that split them up. Alex wanted to tour on a greatest hits album and Sammy wanted to make another record. Also think it was Alex that thought Sammy screwed them out of their share of Cabo when it wasn’t going so well.

#77 1 year ago
    Quoted from Groo:

Supposedly it was Sammy feuding with Alex that split them up. Alex wanted to tour on a greatest hits album and Sammy wanted to make another record. Also think it was Alex that thought Sammy screwed them out of their share of Cabo when it wasn’t going so well.

I saw a recent interview and Sammy said some long time manager of his died who was keeping things the way he wanted to do things on tour straight with Eddie and when the new manager came in and Sammy wouldn't do what this guy wanted he would run to Eddie and say you gonna let him tell ya how to run your band and that was the beginning of the end and when the tour was done so was Sammy (I'm sure they all have there own story that makes them look like the good guy )

#78 1 year ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

You are 100% correct. Sammy can still rock. Dave on the other hand needs to hang it up and call it a day because he has totally lost it....but thats ok because hes getting old and lived a hard life so i understand. I just wish that he understood that every dog has his day and his day had been up for many years now.

I thought David Lee Roth would be cool forever, i seriously did. He was one of my idols growing up. There are exceptions to everything but he is proof that age is the great equalizer.

#79 1 year ago

I like Sammy's songs, but if there is gonna be a VH pin it's going to be DLR. Esentially take the Rolling Stones pin replace the old guys with other old guys and a kid and you'll have VH. I for one can't wait to shoot a pinball at an arcing DLR's crotch.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 39.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 229.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    Lighting - Backbox
    Rock Custom Pinball
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 63.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 89.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Pappy's Pinball Palace
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 27.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 7,395.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 19.99
    There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside