(Topic ID: 213602)

Question for all Van Halen fans. (Poll included)

By Who-Dey

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“If a Van Halen pin is made, should it include Sammy Hagar in it and David Lee Roth both?”

• No it should be David Lee Roth only 106 votes
      47%
    • Sammy and Dave both should be included 119 votes
      53%

(225 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

w0YWdLjj5rxxC.gif
    download (resized).jpg
    Oakland_Jump (resized).jpg
    220px-Van_Halen_-_Fair_Warning (resized).jpg
    There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 6 years ago

Assuming that a Van Halen pin gets made some day, should Sammy Hagar and David Lee Roth both be featured in the game or just David Lee Roth? I love Sammy Hagars music but im in the camp that believes a Van Halen game should feature Roth only. Sinestro thinks both singers should be included so i say let Pinside decide! I just would like to know everyone elses thoughts on this.

Please vote on the Poll.

#3 6 years ago

I would want music from both Roth/Hagar eras, but want Roth to do specific callouts.

#4 6 years ago

Eddie and David Lee Roth were
    the sound and voice of Van Halen.
    Much like Page and Plant were to Led Zeppelin.
    Although I enjoy some of what Hagar did with the band, if it's a pin,
    David Lee Roth only please.

#5 6 years ago

Both. Set it up like Transformers. Play as either singer, and get only their songs.

Gary Cheone final wizard mode!

Fire......fire in the hole!

#6 6 years ago

Well at least the LE would include 2 backglasses so we could switch between the 2?

#7 6 years ago

Voted DLR and one of my favorite albums of all time

220px-Van_Halen_-_Fair_Warning (resized).jpg220px-Van_Halen_-_Fair_Warning (resized).jpg

#8 6 years ago

DLR only with "the jump" on top of the back glass.

Oakland_Jump (resized).jpgOakland_Jump (resized).jpg

#9 6 years ago

My vote including Sammy has it up by one. Yes DLR was a more boisterous front man but Sammy had the pipes and actually read, wrote and played music. Please “I want the best of both worlds!”

#10 6 years ago

IMHO the game would seem incomplete without some inclusion of both Roth and Hagar. Both leads had multiple hits, even if Roth is the primary. Van Halen is unique in that transition.

I’m not a band pin buyer historically, but Van Halen would be tempting.

#11 6 years ago

The real VH is with DLR period !!!

#12 6 years ago

Shouldn't the name of the machine be "Van Hagar" if Sammy was incorporated into it?

#13 6 years ago

Well when i went to bed this morning people saying Sammy should be included were in the lead and now i see the poll is saying Roth only by a few votes. Im surprised that the voting is this close honestly. Thats definitely not a knock against Sammy either because he took Van Halen from a party band to a way more professional sounding band and in many ways they were better under Sammy. This is still Daves band though no matter what imo.

The early days of Van Halen were amazing and they were the perfect 80's band. I think they should have switched the bands name to Van Hagar when Sammy came into the picture.

#14 6 years ago

Well the Iron Maiden pin completely ignores their first singer, Paul Di'anno who sang on over half a dozen bona-fide classic songs over 2 albums and an EP so nothing would surprise me.

#15 6 years ago

I'd be happy with either. Grew up a Roth era fan, loved his solo career too, but I've grown to appreciate the Sammy area as well. Just make a VH pin Stern or JJP!

#16 6 years ago

Dave.....and there needs to be a mini playfield called the Mojo Dojo..............lol

#17 6 years ago

Van hagar is horrible. I can't think of one song I like.

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from mollyspub:

The real VH is with DLR period !!!

I agree 100%. The sound is major different with Haggar. Who brings a keyboard into Van Halen tunes anyway. Dave hated the keyboard.

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from Frippertron:

Well the Iron Maiden pin completely ignores their first singer, Paul Di'anno who sang on over half a dozen bona-fide classic songs over 2 albums and an EP so nothing would surprise me.

I think most people relate Bruce Dickinson with Iron Maiden. He made the band much better and just seems like the right guy for the band. Just my opinion of course.

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinMagnet:

Who brings a keyboard into Van Halen tunes anyway. Dave hated the keyboard.

Jump has a 'touch' of keyboard

#21 6 years ago

Yeah, and it sucks. It's like he's playing the guitar through the keyboard.

#22 6 years ago

Hagar and Anthony are gone Roth is back and who the fuck really cares about Van Halen anymore they where great in the beginning in the late 70's then got wimpier in the 80's especially with Eddie playing on a MJ song of all things how bout stern come up with something fresh instead of some old geriatric rocker themed pin or licensee pin with incomplete codes

#23 6 years ago

When I have nearly there whole collection on cassette hasn't there time pretty much come and gone

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from dhard:

When I have nearly there whole collection on cassette hasn't there time pretty much come and gone

Not really, thier music being on a cassette, record, 8 track or whatever has nothing to do with hiw good of a band they were. So do you also think all if the great bands of the 60's and 70's suck because they didnt have compact disc back then? Does Elvis suck also?

#25 6 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

This is still Daves band though no matter what imo.

I would say it's the brother's band, with different lead singers depending on the year.

It was never Dave's "band", IMHO.

#26 6 years ago
    Quoted from Sinestro:

I would say it's the brother's band, with different lead singers depending on the year.
    It was never Dave's "band", IMHO.

It is for sure the brothers band but Dave absolutely is what got them noticed and put them in the spotlight. Without Dave, we may have never heard of Van Halen. Dave was probably the best front man in the history of rock n roll

#27 6 years ago

How about just Michael Anthony? Everyone else in the band is an asshole lol.

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rascal_H:

Now about just Michael Anthony? Everyone else in the band is an asshole lol.

There could be some truth to that id say.

#30 6 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

There could be some truth to that id say.

Eddie has treated him very, very poorly.

#31 6 years ago
    Quoted from Sinestro:

Eddie has treated him very, very poorly.

Sounds like Eddie treats about everyone he comes in contact with poorly. Big ego.....

Of course if we had to put up with Daves shit all those years we would probably be assholes too! Lol

#32 6 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

Sounds like Eddie treats about everyone he comes in contact with poorly. Big ego.....
    Of course if we had to put up with Daves shit all those years we would probably be assholes too! Lol

I give Hagar a lot of credit for sticking up for Micheal Anthony....and inviting him into Sammy's Circle band. If you like "Van Hagar", just go see the Circle. They do a lot of Sammy's old Van Halen hits.

#33 6 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

he took Van Halen from a party band to a way more professional sounding band and in many ways they were better under Sammy.

Ughhhh NO! Just NO! Hagar seems like a super nice guy but he is the most banal of singers. VH were and always should be Pasadena's finest party band. Who the hell wants to hear VH sing about serious shit? DLR was EVH's foil. The perfect counterbalance to a guy masturbating with a guitar. And really, if you are asking for a VH pinball, don't you need some sort of visual touchstone? What else did VH have to offer in that department save for DLR and his onstage/offstage image?

#34 6 years ago

A bit off topic , but I heard on the radio this morning that David Lee Roth was going to come out and tell really what happened and caused the break up initially. All I heard was Roth wanted to do the ep Crazy from the Heat 4 songs. He then wanted to make it into a movie and asked Eddie if he would do the sound track/compose?? and thats when all communication stopped. Do not know if true.

#35 6 years ago

If a Van Halen pinball machine was to be made, do you honestly think that Sammy Hagar would be included now since Dave is back in the band? They might even leave out Micheal Anthony for Wolfgang (Look at the game Guitar Hero: Van Halen, for an example). Band politics and bad blood could ruin a machine like this. But besides the idea of what band members would be featured in the game, I could care less about getting another music themed game even though Van Halen is probably my favorite rock band (Scorpions is the source of doubt). I agree with the person who posted earlier in the thread about getting a game with an original theme. I love music, but I think the music themed pinball machines are too subjective and only appease a small audience. That is just my two cents, though.

#36 6 years ago
    Quoted from AVH7401:

If a Van Halen pinball machine was to be made, do you honestly think that Sammy Hagar would be included now since Dave is back in the band? They might even leave out Micheal Anthony for Wolfgang (Look at the game Guitar Hero: Van Halen, for an example). Band politics and bad blood could ruin a machine like this. But besides the idea of what band members would be featured in the game, I could care less about getting another music themed game even though Van Halen is probably my favorite rock band (Scorpions is the source of doubt). I agree with the person who posted earlier in the thread about getting a game with an original theme. I love music, but I think the music themed pinball machines are too subjective and only appease a small audience. That is just my two cents, though.

It would be messy and difficult for sure. The band owns the songs, so Eddie will determine if Sammy's songs are in the game or not. Sammy would then have to agree to his likeness on the artwork.

I'm pretty sure Hagar would be game for being included in a Van Halen pinball, despite all the bad blood. The real problem/irritant would be Eddie in letting it be a holistic approach to the band. And I just don't see him doing that right now.

Still, could be epic if saner minds prevail.

#37 6 years ago

BTW, popular opinion is Bruce Dickhead made Iron Maiden better. Pure BS. The 1st 2 Maiden albums are the only ones that count, and Maiden Japan ep. I dig older classic VH. I never liked the Hagar Halen. Too top 40 oriented. Then you have dorks whose 1st Halen album was 5150. Gimme a freakin' break! I will probably never buy a NIB pin, so it doesn't matter what they make. All these new rock pins focus too much on current songs and band members. Every single one of them. Would it kill someone to make a rock based pin based on the good old days of rock and not this shit now????

#38 6 years ago

I'd wait for the Gary Cherone LE version...

#39 6 years ago

Sammy Hagar's best work was with Montrose. And they were a better band than Van Halen, so Montrose gets my vote.

download (resized).jpgdownload (resized).jpg

#40 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Sammy Hagar's best work was with Montrose. And they were a better band than Van Halen, so Montrose gets my vote.

"Rock Candy"!!

#41 6 years ago

The music was better with DLR but he is quite the douche bag and I cant stand him now. He cant sing and he wont shut up. Sammy actually put out better stuff before VH. Where is Levi? We need his opinion.

#42 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Sammy was only on the first 2 Montrose albums his best work was on his own between Montrose and Van Halen

#43 6 years ago

For those of you who do not know, this thread was created based on the the idea of this thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/van-halen-pin-with-roth-callouts

The OP may have already linked the threads together, but here is a link anyways, just in case if it wasn't done before. I apologize if this post is a repeat.

#44 6 years ago

Sammy is the better talent and professional though the early years are better despite Dave being hokey IMO.

#45 6 years ago
    Quoted from AVH7401:

Leaving Michael Anthony out and having Wolfgang in his place would also be another tragic mistake. As dumb as it might sound, that would cause me to pass on a VH pin.

#46 6 years ago

Maybe I'm in the minority,
    maybe not, but with the rocket like start that VH had the first couple, three, four albums, it sure seemed to me that they were poised to be one of the greatest American R&R bands of ALL time.
    Then, ego and corrosion undermined what could have been epic.

#47 6 years ago
    Quoted from rollitover:

Maybe I'm in the minority,
    maybe not, but with the rocket like start that VH had the first couple, three, four albums, it sure seemed to me that they were poised to be one of the greatest American R&R bands of ALL time.
    Then, ego and corrosion undermined what could have been epic.

Van Halen is one of the best sounding and most successful hard rock bands there is, without question. I think the band's mainstream/critical success only went down when Sammy Hagar joined because people were not accepting of a new vocalist and the metal scene, particularly thrash metal, started to take charge over more traditional acts that had rose from the 1970's and onward. Even if DLR never left and if the band had chose to stick more to their party, energy-fueled rocker based classics, grunge and alternative still would have shadowed them and the eventual lack of mainstream rock acts would still be going on as it is today.

#48 6 years ago

Haha Van Hagar and metal in the same sentence.

#49 6 years ago
    Quoted from AVH7401:

I think the band's mainstream/critical success only went down when Sammy Hagar joined

I've been a part of the whole Sammy Vs Dave since it's inception, (I like both BTW), but let's bring a few facts into the debate.

VH never had a #1 album with Dave. (Granted Michael Jackson's hair accident helped a bit)
    VH never won a grammy with Dave.

All 4 Sammy albums went #1. They also won a grammy with Sammy. (poet and don't know it)

It's debatable who sold better, due to people rebuying the originals on CD, but it does lean towards Dave.

Sammy also has had a career outside of VH, while Dave wanted to be a movie star, and I think you'd find that was the rift in the original VH.

Sammy's profit from Cabo Wabo and tequila apparently drove a rift between him and the VH brothers, but we've only heard his side of the story on that.

Either way, I still like both singers, but without Michael Anthony's chops, Dave's act doesn't hold up too well.

I'd probably lean towards a Sammy, new logo, 5150 type machine if given that choice.

#50 6 years ago
    Quoted from dhard:

on his own between Montrose and Van Halen

His solo career was astounding. When he joined Halen, it seemed to mellow them both a bit.

There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/question-for-all-van-halen-fans-poll-included and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.