You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

509e9629c1673cde539dbfaf292f20733cb26cb0_(resized).jpg
congo_6_(resized).jpg
IMG_0736_(resized).JPG
#1 8 years ago

Which style is closest to the color of incandescent bulbs? Anyone have any pics of those bulbs in their machines they could share? Tried to google, but i just come up with the same led vs. Incandescent arguments.

Thanks

#2 8 years ago

Warm white clear lens dome

#3 8 years ago

I prefer warm white, frosted, non-ghosting.

The clear lens on LEDs produces an overly harsh effect for my eyes.

#4 8 years ago

Like Gnatty said the warm white color is the closest. I would suggest a frosted dome instead of a clear one for better light distribution. What game are you going to be throwing them in?

#5 8 years ago

Check out the 1 led retro types. If you want the same look, they seem closest to me, including the brightness level.

#7 8 years ago

retros look the most like original bulbs.

2 SMD frosted WARM are the BEST light color and throw for an original look IMO. They are brighter but the color is the best and diffusion is spot on.

#8 8 years ago

Warm white is the closest Kelvin.....
We carry many different brightness.

If you are trying to match the light output, a 6mm comes closest, however some people
prefer the taller, 8 to 10mm. First, because of physical size.
All these are single diodes in resin.

For the op, and anyone else reading, up until recently, single led warm whites were abundant, consistent,
and a very close look...(mind you, NO LED, will "look" exactly like an incandescent, so if one its looking at a high perfectionist app...close is as best as possible.)

Today, Diode production on only single LED is a mess. We are back to finally a higher degree of matching, but hues
are still varying slightly.....long reason why, but its always about $$$.

For that reason, I more highly recommend a 2 LED Frosted as a consideration, along with the other single diodes.....

Shoot me a PM if I can help further.....

(Some are out of stock at this moment, with a new import coming next week)

#9 8 years ago

The clear warm white retros are the closest match to a 47 incandescent. They are perfect under inserts and almost look like the incandescent filaments. In this pic I also have them in the GI. They look a little brighter than they really are, just not quite bright enough for GI, IMO. I'll have to try the 2 SMD frosted warm like whysnow suggested in the GI.

IMG_0736_(resized).JPGIMG_0736_(resized).JPG

#10 8 years ago

I use the 2led frosted warm whites for gi. A tiny bit brighter than incandescent and look great. A few places the sunlight looks a little better, but typically the warm white is the way to go, imo.

#11 8 years ago

Thanks for the input guys. They are going in a congo. I am really not a fan of GI leds, but i thought I would try something different with this one. I would love to see some more pics of the warm whites in action if anyone has any

#12 8 years ago

Heres Congo in "Sunlight" Twin 2835 Frosted.....Warm is a bit more yellowish....Not sure if a camera will catch it.
Our website shows an "enhanced" difference.

By Volume, Sunlight is outselling warm 3-1, and 2-1 for natural.

If you are focused on the difference, and cant decide...create a small sample order of what you wish to test.
I recommend staying frosted, other then in 2 LED.

congo_6_(resized).jpgcongo_6_(resized).jpg

#13 8 years ago

For Congo, I would also highly consider the sunlight color that Art offers. It's a happy medium between warm white and natural white. I've used the color for the GI in several games, and it looks great!

Edit: In the time it took me to type this, Art beat me to the punch.

#14 8 years ago

Typically use warm 1 SMD 5050 bulbs if I want a classic look and Natural for Comic Style lighting and the New Sunlight for in between. Just did a Indy 500 in Sunlight. Looks great!!

Always use Frosted dome for light defusion.

#15 8 years ago

I tested warm, natural white, and sunlight in my Congo and decided to go with sunlight as well. I like the look of the natural white in most games but Congo is a little different. I used a few natural whites in the back but most are sunlight. Inserts are color matched with warm whites for yellows and oranges. 2 SMD bulbs for GI and 1 SMD for inserts. For the lower playfield, I used yellow and purple bendies but a little too bright.

509e9629c1673cde539dbfaf292f20733cb26cb0_(resized).jpg509e9629c1673cde539dbfaf292f20733cb26cb0_(resized).jpg

#16 8 years ago

Sunlight frosted is the best looking GI LED I have ever seen. I works so well in warm colored games where you do not want to wash out the artwork colors, but also do not want the heavy yellow coloring of warm white. I did the GI in my Spiderman in all frosted Sunlight 2-smds and it is perfect. So much brighter than the original, but not blinding and the coloring is fantastic. Highly, highly recommended.

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

Sunlight frosted is the best looking GI LED I have ever seen. I works so well in warm colored games where you do not want to wash out the artwork colors, but also do not want the heavy yellow coloring of warm white. I did the GI in my Spiderman in all frosted Sunlight 2-smds and it is perfect. So much brighter than the original, but not blinding and the coloring is fantastic. Highly, highly recommended.

+1

Art's frosted twin 2835 SMD bulbs are the bomb! They are not only perfect for GI, but they also look great in most inserts.

#18 8 years ago

I use the twin 2835 SMD sunlight frosted for all of my GI and most of my inserts. I just received my order for 1000 of them yesterday.

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from WonkoTSane:

I just received my order for 1000 of them yesterday.

#20 8 years ago

Thank you for the kind words!

For myself, and many customers,
I start with Sunlight Twins, for almost everywhere.
I then go back and change a few
In the backbox to colors where needed.
I add a couple Op-Max in sunlight in the back or dark areas of GI.
I color match all inserts with Frosted
Twins, but even 100% sunlight rocks there too.
Fast, easy, excellent results.

All this creates an Amazing look for an average of around $100 a game.

Tweaking to personal taste is always the most fun, next to playing.

Keep an eye out for many new products coming soon!

#21 8 years ago

Thanks again for the input. Order incoming Art!

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Tweaking to personal taste is always the most fun, next to playing.

Couldn't agree more. When you get the right combination the game just pops and practically takes your breath away.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Columbus, OH
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/question-fo-comet-leds-users and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.