(Topic ID: 134630)

How to attach wires to this micro switch for soldering?

By Jeekayjay

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by wayout440
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20150802_083256.jpg
    image_4.jpg
    image_3.jpg
    image_2.jpg
    image_1.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    #1 8 years ago

I have this switch which needs to be soldered.

What is the technical term for the metal "teeth" that the wires connect to?

Shouldn't these have holes to stick the wires through when soldering?

This switch seems to have teeth that have been perforated but not completely stamped out.

How do I go about turning the perforations into proper holes?

Pardon the incorrect terms and please correct me. I think I'm about to learn something!

image.jpgimage.jpg

#2 8 years ago

Those are quick connect solderless male spade connectors. You would use crimp on female spade connectors to attach to it. That's what we would call a Chickety China part, as most subminiature switch parts would also have the holes to give you a direct solder option. You can wrap the wire tightly and solder if you wish.

#3 8 years ago

Thank you.

As a solder noob the female spade seems like a good option for me.

Should I be able to make it work with the diode installed too?

End result needs to be connected in this fashion :

image.jpgimage.jpg

#4 8 years ago

No wire terminals necessary just solder the wire leads to the switch terminals. Holes are not needed to make a strong solder joint.

To make life easier "tin" the terminals and wires before soldering them together. Use your iron to heat the switch terminals and melt a small bead of solder onto each. You will want to leave a small bulge of solder, not a massive blob. Next heat the wire ends and allow a small amount of solder to melt and wick into the wire to "tin" them. To attach, press the the wire against the terminal, use the iron to heat and melt them together, hold/cool and your done. A good solder joint done this way will Probably be stronger than the wire itself.

#5 8 years ago
    Quoted from jgreene:

No wire terminals necessary just solder the wire leads to the switch terminals. Holes are not needed to make a strong solder joint.
    To make life easier "tin" the terminals and wires before soldering them together. Use your iron to heat the switch terminals and melt a small bead of solder onto each. You will want to leave a small bulge of solder, not a massive blob. Next heat the wire ends and allow a small amount of solder to melt and wick into the wire to "tin" them. To attach, press the the wire against the terminal, use the iron to heat and melt them together, hold/cool and your done. A good solder joint done this way will Probably be stronger than the wire itself.

Thanks for the step by step I followed your instruction by the letter.

I found it difficult to get the solder to start melting when touching two tinned parts together. I polished and re tinned my iron quite a few times throughout. It seemed to help when I just could not get something to join.

I also found it challenging to keep all the parts in place. A third arm would have been great.

Much respect to you techs out there. You solder pros have a special place in my heart now. Such skill required to do it well and in a timely fashion.

Took me 3.5 hours but I can happily say repair complete.

Most of the time was spent practicing on the old switch getting used to the flow and technique so as to not mess up the new components. Should be much quicker for me next time

image.jpgimage.jpg
    image.jpgimage.jpg
    image.jpgimage.jpg
    image.jpgimage.jpg
    Would have liked to get a better joint on the white wires but it works perfectly and I'm tired
    image.jpgimage.jpg

#6 8 years ago

Does it work? That's a super long time to be heating things. Something doesn't sound right to me. What are you using to heat things up? A candle? JK but those are REALLY long times to solder.

#7 8 years ago

A good tip I got from a friend is to use a pair of hemostats. Flow some solder onto the lug and wire, then clamp together with the hemostat and apply the iron. You will feel the hemostat compress, then you know you got a good connection.

#8 8 years ago

you need to pick up one of these

20150802_083256.jpg20150802_083256.jpg

#9 8 years ago

Get 60/40 lead solder and a good butane soldering iron, should only take a minute or two. You really have to crank up the heat on switch and coil soldering.

It gets easier the next time you do it (and you will have to do it again)

#10 8 years ago
    Quoted from jgreene:

Ah, I have to disagree with you in part... A basic principle of good soldering practice is that a strong mechanical joint should be fashioned before soldering. This is especially important on any connection that may be stressed, including vibration - such that is found in a pinball machine. A reliable mechanical connection is obtained by wrapping the wire around a terminal before an reliable electrical connection is made by proper soldering. This will also prevent a disturbance fracture (this is a poor bond resulting from the connection being disturbed before fully cooling). This is one problem where later down the road you could find the wire hanging off the switch of your machine with a chunk of solder attached to it. It's just *better* policy to make a good mechanical connection before soldering.

#11 8 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

Ah, I have to disagree with you in part... A basic principle of good soldering practice is that a strong mechanical joint should be fashioned before soldering. This is especially important on any connection that may be stressed, including vibration - such that is found in a pinball machine. A reliable mechanical connection is obtained by wrapping the wire around a terminal before an reliable electrical connection is made by proper soldering. This will also prevent a disturbance fracture (this is a poor bond resulting from the connection being disturbed before fully cooling). This is one problem where later down the road you could find the wire hanging off the switch of your machine with a chunk of solder attached to it. It's just *better* policy to make a good mechanical connection before soldering.

+1. This is how I do it. Needle nose pliers help.

#12 8 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

strong mechanical joint should be fashioned before soldering

This is 100% true, but I have to admit I've bent the rules a few times, in those hard to reach places, where you just can't get a wire to stay by itself, and you don't want to remove the whole assembly or pf to get to it...

+1 on those mechanical hands, and hemostats for under the pf!

#13 8 years ago

This is one of those situations where a good quality switch with holes in the lugs is well worth the small cost premium, because as wayout440 suggests, a solid mechanical connection before the solder flows produces a longer-lasting bond under vibration. But when that's not available, hemostats FTW!

#14 8 years ago

Jeekayjay, great job. None of us were born knowing how to solder. You never forget your first time. Keep growing and learning!

#15 8 years ago
    Quoted from scottslash:

Jeekayjay, great job. None of us were born knowing how to solder. You never forget your first time. Keep growing and learning!

Thanks brother. It felt like an accomplishment when I was finally done, that's for sure.

In the end I went to sleep knowing more than I did when I woke up so that's a good day in my book.

Quoted from Razorbak86:

This is one of those situations where a good quality switch with holes in the lugs is well worth the small cost premium

I didn't even realize there would be a choice. Just went by part number and that's all that came up. The stock switch from stern was the of same hole-less design though I couldn't see that until I desoldered it.

Quoted from bobbyt:

you need to pick up one of these
    20150802_083256.jpg

That thing looks awesome I'm getting one! If you plug it is does it do the soldering too??!

#16 8 years ago

And some flux applied to the lugs before tinning will help to get the solder to stick as well. Just make sure you clean off the residue with some isopropyl alcohol when you are done soldering.

#17 8 years ago
    Quoted from SirScott:

And some flux applied to the lugs before tinning will help to get the solder to stick as well. Just make sure you clean off the residue with some isopropyl alcohol when you are done soldering.

Use flux even with rosin core solder?

#18 8 years ago
    Quoted from Jeekayjay:

Use flux even with rosin core solder?

Sure, you don't have to - but it can help. Flux does several things...it acts as a wetting and flowing agent, and a cleaner to remove the oxides of copper that form at soldering temperature. Sure there is flux (rosin) in the solder to help it flow, but if you add some to the parts it will aid the process. I also add liquid flux to desoldering braid and the part I am desoldering when using it, it makes removing solder with braid much more effective.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/question-about-this-micro-switch-with-y-actuator and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.