Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 91 posts
  • 35 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by dirtbag66
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 91 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 8 years ago

So I'm planning on going to my first Expo this fall, and I have a question. I want to play the games, check out the retailer booths, plus go to some of the seminars (JJP, especially due to the more-than-likely announcement of the Pat Lawlor game). What ticket should I buy? They have an option that says "Seminars only". Does this mean I can literally only go to the seminars? I won't be allowed anywhere else? $60 seems steep, IMO.

Thanks for any/all input. Can't wait until October!

#2 8 years ago

Yes, that is exactly what the "Seminars Only" pass is - you don't get entrance to the area with games/booths.

The Expo ticket package is expensive, but your only real choice is banquet or no banquet.

#3 8 years ago

the best thing is bring a game!

Do not buy a package, pay no entrance fees and do everything except the banquet.

Buy a $500 EM bring it to the show, sell it for 500 and call it a wash.

-c

#4 8 years ago

Ha! I had similar questions: that ticket form is far from intuitive!

I lived in Chicago area for several years, but never knew about the expo then, and have been debating going, but I'm in Seattle now. Seems like a good year to go to Expo: lots of new companies with new releases. Alas, I'll probably just drive down to RetroGaming Expo in Portland this time. Never been there either, but hear the vendor areas something to see.

#5 8 years ago

Craig is right, as usual. Looks like you're local. Bring a game, get a wristband which gets you into the hall & seminars all weekend.

#6 8 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Craig is right, as usual. Looks like you're local. Bring a game, get a wristband which gets you into the hall & seminars all weekend.

We need more games to make up for John Petersen's amazing collection. I plan on bringing 3.

-c

#7 8 years ago
    Quoted from CraigC:

I plan on bringing 3.

Totem!

#8 8 years ago

What about the "Exhibit Hall Admission Only" option for $20 (one day pass)? It says it gets me into the exhibit hall (duh) plus all seminars that day. If all I want to do is sit on on the JJP seminar, check out some vendor booths, and play some pinball in the free play area, isn't this my best bet?

#9 8 years ago
    Quoted from dirtbag66:

What about the "Exhibit Hall Admission Only" option for $20 (one day pass)? It says it gets me into the exhibit hall (duh) plus all seminars that day. If all I want to do is sit on on the JJP seminar, check out some vendor booths, and play some pinball in the free play area, isn't this my best bet?

No, hall only gets you into the game room and vendor area, not the seminars.

#10 8 years ago

From their website:

EXHIBIT HALL ADMISSION ONLY (1 DAY PASS) $20 each
    Include all seminars that day & Bumper Blast Dinner (Wed.)

#11 8 years ago

Forget expo overpriced and no fun last year they had to bring in a bunch of em's just to make the free play area look full for the kind of money I paid to get in I dont need to play em's. If you want to have a great time go to pinball life's open house. Its free to get in it has all the games to play including new prototypes free food free drink and a discount on parts what else do you need. Everybody who is anybody in the industry shows up there and last year they even had a blues band playing in the loading dock. There are lots of shows with seminars and if you need a tour of stern drive over there and ask to look around. Expo is dinosaur dying a slow and terrible death the sooner it gets new management the sooner it can return to being the premier show it used to be.

#12 8 years ago
    Quoted from dirtbag66:

From their website:
    EXHIBIT HALL ADMISSION ONLY (1 DAY PASS) $20 each
    Include all seminars that day & Bumper Blast Dinner (Wed.)

Not sure where you see that what I just saw was "One Day Pass for the GAME Hall and VENDOR Hall: $25.00."
    Maybe things have changed. Seminars had not been included.

#13 8 years ago
    Quoted from tardis:

Expo is dinosaur dying a slow and terrible death the sooner it gets new management the sooner it can return to being the premier show it used to be.

Chicago is the home of pinball, which goes to say that it should be the biggest blast of any pinball show. How do we make this happen?

#14 8 years ago

I disagree about the show last year. I thought the game room area was vastly better than prior years and had many choices of a variety of games. Also the game room was open longer during friday. The exhibition hall seemed larger also. I didn't go to any seminars. I have had a personal tour of Stern's factory but not the new one.

Comments about Pinball Life are right on. The place was rocking they provided a lot with food, band, games etc.

#15 8 years ago
    Quoted from heni1977:

Chicago is the home of pinball, which goes to say that it should be the biggest blast of any pinball show. How do we make this happen?

By bringing games. It's that simple. I don't take anything to Chicago but try to support our local expo with several games each year.

#16 8 years ago
    Quoted from tardis:

last year they had to bring in a bunch of em's just to make the free play area look full for the kind of money I paid to get in I dont need to play em's.

I guess i don't want to play the same DMD titles over and over when i can play EMs i've never seen before? you should give them a chance.

-c

#17 8 years ago
    Quoted from TonyH:

By bringing games. It's that simple. I don't take anything to Chicago but try to support our local expo with several games each year.

Throw a game in the back of the jalopy and c'mon over. I've started bringing games to PATZ and MGC each year because i can't really complain if i don't do anything to help out. We need more folks bringing a game or 2 to round out the amazing work that the Ohio crew does every year and of course the amazing Petersen collection from last year.

-c

#18 8 years ago

I wish i could have brought more last year but had some crazy stuff going on. I'm thinking Totem, Outer Space, and maybe 2 more.

#19 8 years ago
    Quoted from tardis:

Forget expo overpriced and no fun last year they had to bring in a bunch of em's just to make the free play area look full for the kind of money I paid to get in I dont need to play em's. If you want to have a great time go to pinball life's open house. Its free to get in it has all the games to play including new prototypes free food free drink and a discount on parts what else do you need. Everybody who is anybody in the industry shows up there and last year they even had a blues band playing in the loading dock. There are lots of shows with seminars and if you need a tour of stern drive over there and ask to look around. Expo is dinosaur dying a slow and terrible death the sooner it gets new management the sooner it can return to being the premier show it used to be.

It's the chicago pinball expo, EMs are pins. If you didn't like them you could have played the other 150 or so games that were there by random people who sacrifice their time and games to make you happy, or in your case unhappy. Thank the flying spaghetti monster that it's not the Chicago tardis approved pins only pinball expo. That would be boring AF.

#20 8 years ago

This will be my first expo.

Im planning to bring at least two pins. I thought I read that the game room doesn't "close" is that true?

#21 8 years ago

that is correct. it's open 24 hours for at least 2 days...fri and sat. with a wrist band (from bringing a game) you can get in pretty much any time even when closed (except for tournaments most of the time).

#22 8 years ago

Thank you.

Good to know. I hope I'll be able to leave keys with someone there then in case any issues come up (they always do lol)

#23 8 years ago
    Quoted from Slim64:

Thank you.
    Good to know. I hope I'll be able to leave keys with someone there then in case any issues come up (they always do lol)

Nope... Just put your cell # on the game and people will let you know (via text or call) if something goes wrong. It's up to you to keep it going (unless you've got a buddy who'll do it for you)...

Jaz

#24 8 years ago

That's what I did at MGC, but unfortunately I won't be at expo much.

Guess I'll have to make some friends

#25 8 years ago
    Quoted from Slim64:

This will be my first expo.
    Im planning to bring at least two pins. I thought I read that the game room doesn't "close" is that true?

The only time it was closed in years past is for the banquet. I don't think that is the case anymore I think its 24/7 because they switch opposite sides of the hotel. im bringing either monopoly or HS2. The best way is to Bring a game. so everyone can play it and you get the weekend pass. I'm bring mine thrusday morning and i'm good for the whole show?

#26 8 years ago

I'll leave my hs2 at home then lol. I'll probably bring pharaoh and my stern lightning.

#27 8 years ago

I'm coming

#28 8 years ago
    Quoted from cavalier88z24:

I'm bring mine thrusday morning and i'm good for the whole show?

Yep. you can also bring it Wednesday and get in for the pre-party.

-c

#29 8 years ago

Trilogy towel?

-c

#30 8 years ago
    Quoted from Slim64:

Thank you.

I can watch your game, or we can ask someone else from CPM to help keep an eye on it.

-c

#31 8 years ago
    Quoted from Slim64:

Thank you.

Quoted from Slim64:

I'll leave my hs2 at home then lol. I'll probably bring pharaoh and my stern lightning.

I brought a Pharaoh to Expo for sale last year and am 100% proficient in classic Stern so I could watch your games too.

#32 8 years ago

Expo 2014 was solid. The freeplay area was pretty great, but honestly that's not what Expo is really about. You can go to any show for that. You can't go to any other show for the kind of things Expo does otherwise though. Not all in one place in such a major way at least.

#33 8 years ago

2014 needed more parts vendors especially with the larger area. It would be great to have more flea market type action similar to Allentown. Soda pop guy was missed too.

A parts for sale drop off booth would be great. Who wants to run that?

Someone clean out kirk weavers garage and bring it over.

-c

#34 8 years ago

I could probably help baby sit games too.

JJ

#35 8 years ago

Ya soda pop guy hasnt been there the last two years and it makes me very very sad.

Quoted from CraigC:

2014 needed more parts vendors especially with the larger area. It would be great to have more flea market type action similar to Allentown. Soda pop guy was missed too.
    A parts for sale drop off booth would be great. Who wants to run that?
    Someone clean out kirk weavers garage and bring it over.
    -c

#36 8 years ago

soda pop guy says hew b coming

#37 8 years ago
    Quoted from CraigC:

2014 needed more parts vendors especially with the larger area. It would be great to have more flea market type action similar to Allentown.

I mean, more is always great. But the vendor hall was full of cool shit, I'm at Expo to meet up with people from all over, see all the new games, check out the cool projects, kind of get into the "all in one place" aspect of it. There's just no other show that can match that.

Also, I got a lanyard and badge from JJ! Thanks man.

#38 8 years ago

Are those two large collections going to be there? One was an EM collection and the other had some incredible restored early SS games.

#39 8 years ago

Rental cars from Midland are running pretty high....any suggestions?

Thanks

Art

#41 8 years ago

I just hope I can make it to the show again this year.

#42 8 years ago

I go to quite a few shows each year and I think Expo has the best mix. If there was a way to get a flea market going, that would be icing on the cake.

#43 8 years ago

I took an Uber from downtown Chicago to Expo last year, it was pretty reasonable.

#44 8 years ago

Ill check again, but I believe its $75 from the Airport, and only $20-$30 from Downtown.
    Now I can Uber from the Airport 10 miles to the same company as an airport rental, and get the car for almost 1/2 price,
    but thats a timing issue of flight catching etc.
    In Orlando, we have companies that shuttle from the airport to a rental car, but they arent shown in the big search engines.

Does this exist in Midland for those that know?

I guess I am really just a cheap bastard!

Thanks.

#45 8 years ago
    Quoted from dirtbag66:

So I'm planning on going to my first Expo this fall, and I have a question. I want to play the games, check out the retailer booths, plus go to some of the seminars (JJP, especially due to the more-than-likely announcement of the Pat Lawlor game).

The longer Hobbit takes to come out, the less likely I think we'll see Lawlor's game at Expo (which I predicted back in December...but I've already been wrong on so many things!).

#46 8 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Rental cars from Midland are running pretty high....any suggestions?
    Thanks
    Art

What time? I have dinner reservations downtown at Dave Burkes at 5:30 and Could grab you after dinner around 7

#47 8 years ago
    Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

What time? I have dinner reservations downtown at Dave Burkes at 5:30 and Could grab you after dinner around 7

Grab him before dinner and bring him with. Art's a hoot !

LTG : )

#48 8 years ago

Yes, all weekend pass with a game. Worth it! Chicago rocks.

#49 8 years ago
    Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

That is so kind of you, and greatly appreciated!
    We arrive at 8:30 AM on Thursday, and truly dont want to impose on anyone.

Another way is that if anyone else is arriving in Midway at the same time, I would hope to have a 4 door, and room for 2, if
    someone needs a ride.....it can be tricky of course, if there are delays.

Ill dig deeper....I just hate $80-$100 a day car rentals! Yikes!

Quoted from LTG:

Grab him before dinner and bring him with. Art's a hoot !
    LTG : )

Thats only cause you were leading the "lines" at dinner, and my Pain Meds!

Its October, so no water gun fights at the show!
    (Nor do I think Chicago is known for its Lobster!)

There are 91 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/question-about-the-chicago-expo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.