Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by NextoPin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I've been looking into the P-ROC and FAST boards because I want to fool around modding my machine but here's what you need to "MOD" a System 11 Game. This was taken from an Earthshaker project over on the pinballcontroller.com forum.

P-ROC - $329
Mark's System 11 Interface Board - $225
Jim'a Alphanumeric Interface Board - $80
Computer - ~$400
Windows 7 OS - $100
Audio Amp - $30
Scott's CSSC - $60
Stern Autolaunch Mech - $60
Misc cables and wiring

Total - ~$1,284

Now I don't want to add a DMD, I'm not planning on adding any switches or solenoids (The launcher is on there because if I did go this route, I'd definitely add a launcher) I basically just want to do what the machine does now, just in a different way.

Is it possible at all to reprogram the game using a ROM? Couldn't someone make an interface that connects to the ROM sockets and has flash memory or something that you could use to control the existing boards?

Sorry if this question has been asked, I do know a bit about electronics but this is a bit over my head and I'd like to have a better understanding of the limitations and what's possible.

Thanks!

4 weeks later
#2 9 years ago

So, There's no way to modify the ROM?

I can't imagine they developed these machines by burning a ROM every time they wanted to test code, Are these P-ROC and FAST boards the only way to modify an existing game?

Thanks!

#3 9 years ago
Quoted from NextoPin:

I can't imagine they developed these machines by burning a ROM every time they wanted to test code

I'd imagine that was pretty much what they did do. If you're familiar with assembly level programming you certainly could develop new games or mod existing ones and just burn a ROM, but you'll be limited to the amount of storage that ROM can hold.

Over at pinhacks.com are various threads on hacking pinball ROMs, but nobody has done much in Sys11 territory other than a few bug fixes and things like "divide by 10" versions of existing games. Nobody has been writing new games that way.

As for the prices you've come up with, some have some leeway. The P-ROC and the Sys11 board not so much (I'm the Mark that has the interface board, by the way) but you don't need a very powerful PC to run a game. I use a laptop I bought from Ebay for $100 US. Some folks have used a Raspberry Pi (although that might struggle some). You can also use Linux instead of windows if you want to save the OS license. The autolaunch is only if you want to add one to the game, that's not dependant on your choice of system so is optional. The CSSC is also only to make switching it on and off easier, so is optional too.

Hope that helps some!

-Mark

#4 9 years ago

Thanks for the reply.

I wish I knew more about how it all works, hacking something like a system 11 board is way beyond my current skill level. It just seems a shame not to use the current hardware as that's what's already controlling everything. I have a notebook full of BK2K gameplay ideas but I don't have the money to buy all the boards.

I guess I'll start in Visual Pinball and work my way up to the real game from there.

6 months later
#5 9 years ago

Hey, I was thinking..(oh shit)..

I could modify the rom on the visual pinball version using PinMame somehow, I imagine. If that's possible, could I then take that modified ROM, burn it, and run it on a real Sys11 board?

I really want to learn more about how I can reprogram it. When they were developing these games back in the day, I have to think that they were somehow able to run the code from a computer, to make a new ROM to test each change doesn't seem like how it would have been(though it may have been).

If we could reprogram using the existing hardware we could update the games. I like the idea of the FAST boards and PROC etc. but I already have a working machine with driver boards and sound boards and processor boards, how can we update the ROM or can we attach the headers to an interface and emulate the ROM on the computer?

Does the system 11 board have a PC/serial interface?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Fort Wayne, IN
$ 12.00
Playfield - Other
System-J

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Nashua, NH
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

3,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shepherdsville, KY
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RRB Crafts

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/question-about-system-11-roms-and-modding and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.