(Topic ID: 231920)

Question about splicing wires…

By MoSeS_1592

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MoSeS_1592.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

So I have a LW3, PinBot, Black Knight, and Escape from the lost world (6809) that I have added additional LED playfield lighting to. Much of the lighting requires 12v DC power. The additional lighting on these machines plugs into the service outlet (via wall warts) inside the cab. I made a simple alteration to the wiring so the service outlet no longer bypasses the ON/OFF switch on the bottom of the cab, otherwise the added lights would never turn off. Yes, I’m already aware of the fact that this type of modification is frowned upon in the pinball community. That aside, I wanted to know what the proper method of splicing is in a situation like this. What gauge is this wire and what splicing method is acceptable and safe (solder with heatshrink tubing, crimping, wing nuts)? I have wing nuts on now but I’m concerned that in the future they may loosen and cause heat/arcing. Am I over thinking this or would it be acceptable to confirm the wing nuts are tight and simply inject hot glue into the wing nuts to stop any rotation or loosening?

#4 5 years ago

Thanks for the advice. I did not have to add any additional wire, all splices are on the wire that was originally part of the machine. If I were to add another in-line fuse to the outlet what rating fuse would you suggest?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MoSeS_1592.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/question-about-splicing-wires?tu=MoSeS_1592 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.