Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 40 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by ImNotNorm
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

I have a question about shipping to Canada and what constitutes a "customs fee" or "brokerage fee?"

I just recently bought a NOS playfield that was shipped via fedex with a declared value of 800$usd. It arrived to my door with no customs or brokerage fees.

Today I received Aurich 's Shadow translite package (which is gorgeous) and had to pay a customs fee or $13.50. I looked on the box and he declared the value as $50. I asked the Canada post employee why there was a fee and she exclaimed that there are customs fees for items coming from the US.

I told her that two weeks ago I received a package declared at 800$ from fedex with no customs fee....she looked surprised and said I "got lucky."

Just looking for some clarification here and if there are any tips on how to avoid these "customs fees."

Thanks

*mods, I wasn't sure where to place this topic so if it's on the wrong spot feel free to move it to the correct location.

#2 5 years ago

my advice, dont try to aviod the fees
    customs is not stupid, if they think you are avoiding fees (a tax), they will come after you

you got lucky with the playfield, have a beer

#3 5 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

you got lucky with the playfield, have a beer

Can't argue with that

I'm just curious how it's all determined. I've ordered from Marcos and never got a customs fee.

But I've ordered clothing before and got brokerage fees.

Seems like there's no rhyme or reason.

#4 5 years ago

Just luck of the draw

#5 5 years ago

Order legs for the Baywatch machine as well?

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from Dallas_Pin:

Order legs for the Baywatch machine as well?

Only if they are imamaculate.

PS - my phone auto corrects immaculate to imamaculate now. LOL

#7 5 years ago

You may get a bill in the mail from Fed Ex in a few weeks. I have shipped things from the States and had this happen. Arrived at my door without any fees, and then got the bill later with customs / brokerage fees.

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from Apollyon:

You may get a bill in the mail from Fed Ex in a few weeks. I have shipped things from the States and had this happen. Arrived at my door without any fees, and then got the bill later with customs / brokerage fees.

Oh geez. That's not what I wanted to hear

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from Apollyon:

Yup, me to. Several times in fact.

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from Spencer:

Yup, me to. Several times in fact.

Greasy....like photo radar. You think your in the clear then bam...you get nailed a few weeks later.

Does it happen every time?

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from ImNotNorm:

S - my phone auto corrects immaculate to imamaculate now. LOL

You know it's messed up when that occurs ... lol

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Greasy....like photo radar. You think your in the clear then bam...you get nailed a few weeks later.
    Does it happen every time?

If Fedex/UPS is involved there is a pretty good chance you will get a bill. ( since they will charge you a fee on top of it ) They grossly over charge for fees too. Call and speak to a manager, ask them how they come up with this.... ( might not be exact numbers anymore )

$0-20 free

$20-$100 is a $15 clearing fee

Then above $100 is a percentage. LOL, its the same fucking paperwork, pure gouging, its pathetic.

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from Spencer:

If Fedex/UPS is involved there is a pretty good chance you will get a bill. ( since they will charge you a fee on top of it ) They grossly over charge for fees too. Call and speak to a manager, ask them how they come up with this.... ( might not be exact numbers anymore )
    $0-20 free
    $20-$100 is a $15 clearing fee
    Then above $100 is a percentage. LOL, its the same fucking paperwork, pure gouging, its pathetic.

Ugh....I may have had that celebratory beer prematurely.

Thanks for the info Spencer.

#15 5 years ago

I don't order anything from the States unless it can ship via USPS (which arrives via Canada Post). I avoid UPS like the plague, nasty brokerage fees every time!

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from klr650:

I avoid UPS like the plague, nasty brokerage fees every time!

Same here with UPS. Every single time!

#17 5 years ago

My last three purchases all have been charged tax ... And nicely slowed down my delivery time as they explore my packages!
    If you want to get a game over the border I have a custom broker than I'm on retainer with!
    You have my number !

#18 5 years ago

Where did the playfield come from? Was it shipped from the US? Or was it CPR in Canada? Or Mirco in Germany?

The brokerage fee is a fee for a brokerage house to pay the sales tax upon the item entering the country. When you ship with USPS, Canada Post farms out the brokerage 'service' to a separate brokerage house. Fedex and UPS use an internal brokerage service, so without competition, their brokerage fees are quite high, and they never not charge brokerage.

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from PNorth:

Where did the playfield come from? Was it shipped from the US? Or was it CPR in Canada? Or Mirco in Germany?
    The brokerage fee is a fee for a brokerage house to pay the sales tax upon the item entering the country. When you ship with USPS, Canada Post farms out the brokerage 'service' to a separate brokerage house. Fedex and UPS use an internal brokerage service, so without competition, their brokerage fees are quite high, and they never not charge brokerage.

Playfield came from an individual in the NE US.

#20 5 years ago

Ordering from the US is usually a bit of a rip-off. I just ordered from Pinball life some items with a value of just under $300USD. They gave options to ship FedEx @ approx. $65USD(no mention of anything about customs or what the fees would be which sucks)and was bad enough then I get the parcel with a $103 customs fee. I agree with another earlier post go with USPS as that is usually the least expensive option and stay away from ordering from some of these vendors that don't give you the FULL COSTS upfront as they really don't care once they sell you the product. Lets just hope they don't slap a 25% tariff on pinball parts or machines soon.

#21 5 years ago

Only use USPS I make sure I tell anybody I'm buying parts off I only use USPS before I pay.

#22 5 years ago

I've had stuff show up with no fees and taxes, was just dropped off.

I've had stuff show up with taxes applied.

There doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason.

If you want to get philosophical about it, I feel fortunate to buy pinball stuff in the first place, and that comes with paying my taxes.

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

I've had stuff show up with no fees and taxes, was just dropped off.
    I've had stuff show up with taxes applied.
    There doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason.
    If you want to get philosophical about it, I feel fortunate to buy pinball stuff in the first place, and that comes with paying my taxes.

I agree we are lucky that we can buy parts for our high priced toys but being butt @#$#%! by the shipping companies is never a pleasurable experience. I guess that's the price we pay to live in the best country in the world - CANADA!!!

#24 5 years ago

Ok thanks for all the replies guys. Looks like USPS will be the first choice from now on.

#25 5 years ago

I don't mind paying taxes on goods purchased. The made up processing fee of $10.00 and another delay of 3 to 10 days while it's out for processing is infuriating.

Has anyone considered opening a marcos or pbl style shop in Canada? I'm sure most parts are from China anyways?

1 week later
    #26 5 years ago

I was at a FedEx facility today to send out a backglass. Ended up paying 110$ to send a backglass to Louisiana via ground with a 5 day estimated delivery. Sending via air would have cost 220$!! Insane!!

Anyways, I mention to the FedEx lady about the recent playfield I purchased and how I haven't received a duty / tax bill when I received it. She asked how much it was valued at & then said it could take up to 6 months for them to bill me for customs/taxes. She said that if they try to ding you 6 months after delivery that you should definitely appeal it.

So time will tell I guess...

#27 5 years ago

Just got a fedex invoice for 125$.

#28 5 years ago
    Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Just got a fedex invoice for 125$.

Yup they screwed me once never again. USPS or nothing.

#29 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mitch:

Sound advice!

#30 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mitch:

That is the best advise for sure. Problem is, I doubt USPS would ship a boxed playfield. They have size and weight limits that are a lot less then UPS/Fedex.

#31 5 years ago
    Quoted from Spencer:

That is the best advise for sure. Problem is, I doubt USPS would ship a boxed playfield. They have size and weight limits that are a lot less then UPS/Fedex.

Yes I always forget about that.

#32 5 years ago

Oh that sucks! Ouch!

1 month later
    #33 5 years ago

Hate to revive this thread but the question I have revolves around this issue.

If I send my NOS TFTC playfield to the US for clearcoating, will I be dinged with fees/taxes when it crosses the border when it returns?

I'm not "buying" the playfield.

#34 5 years ago
    Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Hate to revive this thread but the question I have revolves around this issue.
    If I send my NOS TFTC playfield to the US for clearcoating, will I be dinged with fees/taxes when it crosses the border when it returns?
    I'm not "buying" the playfield.

Normally you will.

#35 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mitch:

Normally you will.

Ugh..

Any professional clearcoaters in Canada?

#36 5 years ago

I thought this was brought up on pinball revolution with bringing games into the USA for a show. Someone mentioned that you can get a form stating that it is product of Canada already. You’d need to fill out the paperwork before going across

#37 5 years ago

I've requested this paperwork at the airport when flying out of Canada, which I show again coming back in (it was electronics that I didn't want to be accused of buying in the states). I'm sure this can be done for a playfield.

#38 5 years ago
    Quoted from Luckydogg420:

I thought this was brought up on pinball revolution with bringing games into the USA for a show. Someone mentioned that you can get a form stating that it is product of Canada already. You’d need to fill out the paperwork before going across

Quoted from frolic:

I've requested this paperwork at the airport when flying out of Canada, which I show again coming back in (it was electronics that I didn't want to be accused of buying in the states). I'm sure this can be done for a playfield.

Do you know where to access these forms? CBSA website?

#39 5 years ago
    Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Ugh..
    Any professional clearcoaters in Canada?

There must be someone that does this on a semi-professional level here in Edmonton.

But I honestly can't blame anybody for not wanting to do this as a career (or even as part-time work). 2Pac is Super toxic, and the whole clearing process is repetitive, finicky, and very time-consuming. The worst part is when you think you are finally finished and then watch the clear die-back over the next 3 months... I'm getting angry just thinking about it...

#40 5 years ago

Bump for the form (or where to obtain it) and possible clear coating in Canada

Added over 6 years ago:

Disregard

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/question-about-shipping-to-canada-customs-fees?hl=procrastinator and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.