Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by vid1900
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Hey all you Pinsiders! First of all, thank you to anyone who can help me with this, because I feel that this is a dumb question, but I'm totally lost.

My Gottlieb Hi Dolly ball count unit is not telling the machine properly what ball is being played, and often isn't displaying a ball at all. Well, I opened up the back, and would you know - I look at the swiper that rests on top of the unit and it's held in position by two set screws, just like the flippers on my Bally. But... One of the set screws must have been loose and flew right out of its place! Well.... That explains it.

However, I have absolutely no idea how to measure or tell what size set screw I need. I know it's the same size Allan wrench as my Bally flippers - 1/8. But set screws are measured by thread size, right? How do I know what set screw I need?

#2 8 years ago

https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn/Fasteners/Set-Screws?searchterm=10-24+socket+setscrew&navid=4287885486

Looks like the 1/8 Key is used on 1/4-20 or 1/4-28 (fine pitch) setscrews...That seems large.

Can you remove the other setscrew and take some measurements? I don't know if that is easy or a nightmare...

Can you get the length? I may have some in my junk box. Otherwise try going to Home depot, they may have some in those Kit drawers...

#3 8 years ago

Take out your remaining set screw.

Take it to a REAL hardware store (not a Menards or Lowes).

The guy will measure it and sell you more.

Get a dozen, because there is never just one missing.

Post the size here for everyone else.

Set screws need the following info:

1. Point - cone or cup
2. Size - length
3. Size - Diameter and thread pitch

#4 8 years ago

Or I could mail you a couple

#5 8 years ago

The correct size was 1/4-20 and they did in fact have them at the local Lowe's where the guy was able to measure it for me.

#6 8 years ago

What tip, cone or cup?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/question-about-set-screw-sizes- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.