(Topic ID: 44762)

Question about removing wax for playfield touch ups.

By HeyNow

11 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

My Joker Poker is due for a waxing soon and I wanted to do some playfield touch ups before I put another good waxing on it. My question is I really don't know how much cleaning is required to get off the old wax where I want to do touch ups? My plan was to use a magic eraser, but I wanna do the minimal amount of wear and tear to remove the wax. I'm just not sure if it is just a minimum of magic eraser takes the wax right off, or I need to work it a little harder to remove the wax. Any advice? Thanks.

#2 11 years ago

Use Naptha to get the wax off. No need for the ME abrasion.

You can also use a Citrus cleaner like ZEP Heavy Duty Citrus Degreaser. It will clean and remove wax.

#3 11 years ago

Thanks, I wasn't thinking of something other than magic eraser. I like the idea of using something non-abrasive much more. I've never used Naptha. Dumb question, is their a specific type of Naptha to use, or is their just one kind? Will just a little Naptha take the wax right off or use it liberally?

#4 11 years ago

Honestly, The best thing to use? Dawn and Warm Water. Just don't let it get anywhere else.

Here's why. Whenever you talk to ANY detailing person they will tell you the sure fire way to remove wax from your car to start a fresh application is to wash the car with dawn. It cuts through all the crap on the car but is safe for paint and clearcoat.

A little bit of dawn and a little bit of water with a microfiber cloth will be good to go! No harsh chemicals.

#5 11 years ago

Just Naptha.

ME is equivalent to 2000 grit sandpaper.

Don't need to put it on liberally. Just moisten a rag and wipe it down.

#6 11 years ago

What about just using isopropyl alcohol? As far as Naptha, where do you usually buy it? I just checked Lowes & Home Depot and what comes up is VM&P Naphtha. Is that the right stuff?
Thanks again.

#7 11 years ago

Yes, it gets misspelled a lot.

#8 11 years ago

+1 on using 99% rubbing alcohol. when i was a kid working as a detail/polisher in a car dealership when we were polishing we would use rubbing alcohol during the polishing process to remove the wax from polishing to check for scratches that had been missed or poorly polished.

#9 11 years ago

Is there a way to tell that the wax is gone when using the rubbing alcohol (or Naptha)? When I feel the playfield it is tough to feel if their is still wax residue or it is gone. I just don't wanna overkill it if it just take a little to remove it.

#10 11 years ago

You can buy a wax/grease remover from any automotive paint supplier. Painters use it to remove any left over wax or other contaminates before applying new paint to a surface.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 7.50
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/question-about-removing-wax-for-playfield-touch-ups and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.