New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 95812)

Question about PAPA Classics I, II, III

By ahanson

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by LOTR_breath
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

What's the deal with PAPA classics I, II & III. I'm considering going to PAPA this year after having a great time at Pinburgh and was wondering about the Classics portion (since I like the older games too). It looks like there's one each day. Is it like A, B, C division kind of thing or eras or what?

#2 6 years ago

Classics is open to everyone in all divisions. The reason they are called I, II, & III is because the bank of games is changed each day. So every day you pay for each entry every time you want to try & qualify, then after qualification time is over there's a playoff for the Classics winner. All divisions play in classics so it is possible to go against someone like Elwin or Kerins in the playoffs. IMO Classics is the best part of PAPA!! Also there are no DMD games in classics. Most usually there are not any pins with ramps in classics either. Think mid 80's pins on down through EM's as the most likely to be played. Hope this helps!

#3 6 years ago

I'm very excited about PAPA

#4 6 years ago
    Quoted from LBJ:

Classics is open to everyone in all divisions. The reason they are called I, II, & III is because the bank of games is changed each day. So every day you pay for each entry every time you want to try & qualify, then after qualification time is over there's a playoff for the Classics winner. All divisions play in classics so it is possible to go against someone like Elwin or Kerins in the playoffs. IMO Classics is the best part of PAPA!! Also there are no DMD games in classics. Most usually there are not any pins with ramps in classics either. Think mid 80's pins on down through EM's as the most likely to be played. Hope this helps!

One big reason Classics switches up every day is that the games might not hold up over three days of pounding, but they'll hold up for one. Classics is a blast and a grand equalizer, letting people with different skill sets shine on the games they love.

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from bkerins:

One big reason Classics switches up every day is that the games might not hold up over three days of pounding, but they'll hold up for one. Classics is a blast and a grand equalizer, letting people with different skill sets shine on the games they love.

It's actually far easier to choose 12 games that will hold up over three days than 36 games that all need to hold up for 12 hours. Given the option based on reliability, I would choose the former every time. The games are changed just to make the event more interesting.

#6 6 years ago

Classics is awesome! Be prepared for some longer lines since qualifying time is shorter. Try to get some early qualifying in when the lines are not as long. Due to it being open to all skill levels, it is quite difficult to qualify. I have qualified in B div my last 3 PAPA's, but have still not qualified in Classics. There are mainly 2 differences in Classics from the main divisions.

1)It's open to all skill levels.
    2)You only play 4 games on a ticket as opposed to 5 in the main divisions.

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Classics is awesome! Be prepared for some longer lines since qualifying time is shorter. Try to get some early qualifying in when the lines are not as long. Due to it being open to all skill levels, it is quite difficult to qualify. I have qualified in B div my last 3 PAPA's, but have still not qualified in Classics. There are mainly 2 differences in Classics from the main divisions.
    1)It's open to all skill levels.
    2)You only play 4 games on a ticket as opposed to 5 in the main divisions.

Keep in mind classics divisions expand to 24 qualifiers this year.

#8 6 years ago

I may have a go at classics one day this year.

Unfortunately I don't know rulesets on many of those older games yet. Is there a big brother foundation for PAPA

#9 6 years ago

Just be sure to research derby day ;o)

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from mhs:

It's actually far easier to choose 12 games that will hold up over three days than 36 games that all need to hold up for 12 hours. Given the option based on reliability, I would choose the former every time. The games are changed just to make the event more interesting.

Ah, ok! Sorry! Wait, did you say Derby Day??

#11 6 years ago

Derby Day. We talking 1967 Williams or 1956 Gottlieb?

#12 6 years ago

4 weeks later
    #13 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I may have a go at classics one day this year.
    Unfortunately I don't know rulesets on many of those older games yet. Is there a big brother foundation for PAPA

Most of the rules are printed right on the playfields!

1 week later
    #14 6 years ago

Hey Mark. With PAPA only 4 days away, are you still planning to announce the Classics II and III games in advance?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 14.95
    $ 69.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 58.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Chrome Candy
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Protection
    ScottyMods
    $ 7.00
    Electronics
    APB Enterprises
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 150.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Great American Pinball
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 5.00
    Cabinet - Other
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 189.99
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 9.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 6.50
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 15.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 20.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 28.75
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 10,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 103.00
    $ 40.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 2.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 6.00
    Electronics
    German-Pinball-Modular
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside