• 17 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by chad
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Hi there,

I have a nice LAH which is working fine (well I suppose...), in test, magnets are ok, but in play, they are not powerful enought to divert the balls.. they have to be almost static to get affected by magnets, but obviously it never happens when I play, so you don't see the difference with or without magnets...
So I was wondering if there is a way to boost them a little bit (or change them?) or is it quite normal...? Those who own it or have played it, can they tell me if it was different or not?
Thank you.

#2 7 years ago

My LAH is pretty strong flinging those balls around. Maybe there's something going on with your magnets as they should be very strong during play. Have you checked during test will that all three are firing? During test you should be able to actually hear them as noise in the speaker beeping 3 times in a row.

#3 7 years ago

Yes I do hear them from the speaker panel and also from the playfield, it's a small sound but it's here...
Is there a possibility that magnets are getting old...? because if I compare to an addams family, it's night and day!

#4 7 years ago

they don't really get old. but you might have low power going to them. Did you check the voltage to them?

#5 7 years ago

I assume they're not relay controlled on a game that new? If they are I'd make sure the contacts are clean and touch

#6 7 years ago

Actually, no. Do y ou know what voltage I am supposed to find?

#7 7 years ago

My LAH really throws the ball around. I would guess low voltage to the driver board under the playfield or bad connectors.

#8 7 years ago

or the voltage is hitting another line and bringing the power down. Could be one of the magnets being bad and having to much resistance. Can you unplug them one at a time. I'd try them with a different one unplugged each time and see if the others get stronger.

#9 7 years ago

I tested the voltage on the magnets and, on rest I have 74V on each of them, in test, is going down between 50-63V on all of them, no difference between one or another. I tryied with one unpluged, and it does not change anything... so I leave it like this, I guess it's the way it is.. thanks for your help.

#10 7 years ago

This is kind of a wild guess, but is it possible for the magnet cores (the metal brackets that each magnet mounts to) to "wear out"? I don't really see how it'd be possible, but thought I'd at least ask if that would be a possible cause...

#11 7 years ago

try unplugging a different one each try. Make sure you dont' have a bad one bringing down your strength.

Maybe your playfield wasn't cut deep enough and the magnets are too far from the surface of the playfield?

#12 7 years ago

I will try that, but your explanation about the playfield cut seems pretty interesting.

#13 7 years ago

i'm just trying to figure out why you would get such low reaction. The magnet being to far away would effect that. but I don't know how you would figure that out or not. I have an NOS field here but I don't know how I could measure that as the cutouts are so far in the center so the micrometer can't reach.

#14 7 years ago

On my LAH the magnets seem to act different in test mode and game play. If I turn them on in the test and roll a ball across them the ball is pulled a couple inches. While in 6 ball multiball the magnets pull the balls so hard it slings them across the table wildly. Something to keep in mind while testing.

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

pinbot has magnets?

Brain fart. I corrected it. Thanks

11 months later
#17 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

pinbot has magnets?

That could be a cool mod if possible. Only dreaming.....

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lake Charles, LA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 18.95
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Boards
Slap Save Creations

Machine - For Sale
York, SC
$ 18.95
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/question-about-last-action-hero-magnets and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.